Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
i agree that they do make good pets, to the owner i dont think you will find a much more loyal dog. but you have to work with them, people around here dont seem to want to take time to do it. they tie them up or put them in a kennel and wonder why they get bit every time they try to feed them. they are a high energy dog that needs room to run, and they are high strung and need to be worked with. they are fast learners, if you just spend some time on them.

the issue with getting rid of them here is their tendency to bite strangers. here in Ohio if you have a "beware of the dog" sign, you are admitting you know the dog bites. any dog owner is responsible for medical bills from a bite. the way around the law is to put up "caution attack dog signs" and have your dogs inside a fence. with this, you are warning people that the dogs are trained to bite, you cross the fence at your own risk. if someone does cross the fence, they have to prove they cant read to put the liability on you.
We had a blue heeler that bit a homeless man's beer bottle and shattered it. We took her to the vet and she didn't even need stitches. The guy was so drunk he just wandered off.

Oh so that's why
lau.gif

Here is one that happened yesterday:

11 year old: Dad, can we go back to store bought eggs?
Me: Why?
11 year old: Our eggs are giving me a headache!
Me: What? How did you discover this?
11 year old: The store eggs crack on my forehead easily, and on the first try. These take 3 or 4 tries and I have to hit it HARD!
Me: (trying not to laugh) No.
That's great lol

I live in a small agricultural community in the mountains, 2 hours from anywhere. And, yet, when the locals see my assortment of chickens, they tell me they never saw any like these before. They had just plain brown or white chickens. Didn't know they came in all these colors. The coop *really* blows their minds!! All they ever knew about was chickens running around the yard, or those huge hen houses. They rarely use manure, choosing chemical fertilizers, too. Organic isn't in their vocabularies.

Of course, in this case, it's not stupidity or arrogance, it's a lack of exposure. But, it's really interesting to see how little "traditional" farmers know about raising sustainable food. They need almost as much education as the city folks ... in fact, sometimes it's harder to teach the farmers because they've been doing it this way for so long. I'd like to see a sustainable farming program implemented in our school. Now THAT would be a real education!
Sadly some people are just inflexible my dad and I aren't even talking because he is determined that I am wrong in all that I do.

Yeah I've never completely understood when people get so worked up about how "mean" cropping/docking is. Especially when these same people typically say how important it is to spay and neuter your pets. I think if anything spaying and neutering is a much more serious surgery and probably more painful recovery time. I mean ask any person "would you rather be castrated or have a piece of your ear cut off" and almost instantly without thought they'll say "Ear cut off!" Now I'm not saying I'm against spay/neuter, I'm just saying if your gonna be against one thing because you think its mean you should be against all of them lol that's just MY opinion is all. But yeah I don't think its anyone's business what you do with your animals as long as they are taken care of and happy. And I don't think they puppies even remember losing their tales lol ANYWAY sorry off track some talk more about chickens haha!
goodpost.gif
My point exactly! Spaying neutering is the same exact thing IMO. Its chopping off or cutting out perfectly healthy normal tissue but no one thinks twice about that being cruel. And make no mistake... spaying neutering is not done for the dogs ,its done for our convenience so we can modify behaviors we don't like(example,leg lifting in males) and so we do not have to be responsible for keeping a closer eye on our animals to make sure they do not reproduce. Not exactly justifiable reasons in my book for major surgery.

Last edited:
I live in a country where cropping and docking is illegal - I think it's a load of baloney.

The government should keep their noses out of people's lives like this. What someone wants to do with their dog; be it spaying/neutering, cropping or docking is no one's business but the pet owner.
I am pro-crop/dock. Just last week on a forum I am involved in, saw a Dalmatian have his tail amputated due to him continually injuring it from overenthusiastic wagging.
Docking is not only done for working purposes, it's also done as a injury preventative on breeds with thin, whip-like tails. Take boxers for example, when their tail is left un-docked, it becomes a whipping machine. Very easily injured and broken.

I respect other people's opinions of cropping/docking being cruel and unnecessary, but IMO, it isn't.

Just my 2c.
agreed.

I
The OP posted a very helpful post to a Dependent of Parents that will not let them have chickens. I read the part about chickens relying on humans as meaning that they will not, in most places, live in the wild. Care is minimal but there still has to be care given and the person not allowed to have chickens can go provide that care at another persons place.

Kudos to the OP! That is a great idea!

I agree. When we decided to start with chickens my children were very excited and willing to don't all! And they did with miminal reminding. They check for eggs twice a day( we live in Texas where it's hot) they watch to see who is laying what. But I knew prior there was the chance that the excitement would wear off and that would leave the work for me. So that left the decision up to me with the knowlege of what it would include for my work schedule and responsibilities. I was very lucky that my children are extreme animal lover and do not mind hard work. This is not so with all children. All daily maintence and weekly (sometimes biweekly) cleaning, attention, has not been any issues with them. When something new comes up they are quick to research it and do extra chores to buy supplies by themselves. I am very proud of my kiddos! My 16 year old even wanted a different breed than we had and bought them herself and buys every third bag of feed with her own money from her job instead of buying nonsensical items. Once again of am VERY PROUD of the way my children are learning, caring and working for all the animals they have chosen to be a part if our family! They have had to make some very adult decisions that haven't been the easiest for them but n the best interest of their majority, sch as getting rid of(giving to grandpas friend) a loved friend due to aggression of chicks. But long story short nt all children are raised this way. My sister raises her kiddos in the city and does all care fr their cats. Not that this s bad but just that each case is different and should not be judged based only on an individual experience. I completely agree with the dea of eloping sore else out first. For two reason 1) she will earn exactly what takes to care for an animal that s completely different than a house dog etc 2) if she continues to make the appropriate decision like maneuvering schedules to makes her social life work like ,family life, and chicken life all conductive then maybe her parents will allow tem to take the plunge. Plus cost f start up, space, and laws all have to be considered

My sister says if you collect the eggs the day they're laid and put them in the fridge it can still be eaten even if it is fertilised? I hope she's right
fl.gif

I think leslie meant the eggs could be rotten too since they don't know how long they've been there. It's perfectly all right to eat fertilized eggs so long as the hen hasn't been setting on them.

Nothing wrong with fertile eggs. Just don't start incubating them and there won't be any chicks starting. I keep fertile eggs on the counter for a while I'm collecting enough to put under broodies. I eat the extra ones that are a week old. Normally I do refrigerate all eggs just because they will last longer in the fridge.

Look up the store egg hatching thread on this site. Sometimes store eggs are fertile even if they aren't advertised as such.

Yes, I meant that as long as you collect all the eggs every day so no broody has sat upon them for 24 hours then the eggs will be "fresh" and fertilized eggs won't have a chance to start developing and are virtually identical to unfertilized eggs. You can't tell by candling if an unincubated egg is fertilized, but you can possibly tell if an embryo has been developing or if the shell is cracked. It takes a couple days of incubation before anything very visible starts to develop (candling before the first week of incubation isn't usually worthwhile), but I see no reason to leave the eggs people are going to eat in the coop for more than a few hours anyway.

Some people believe that fertilized eggs have more nutrition or are somehow better for eating, so some people specifically seek out fertilized eggs (Trader Joes sells fertilized eggs, for example). By this I mean eggs that have been fertilized but haven't been incubated. Other people do not believe in eating fertilized eggs for various reasons. And of course there are some recipes for eating fertilized and incubated but unhatched eggs ...

I make sure our customers know that our eggs are fertile, and I make every effort to make sure the eggs we sell are not incubated for long enough that an embryo starts to develop. This is why we have coop rules about gathering eggs and why we segregate our broody hens. Also for freshness reasons, eggs found in random spots are not sold.

goodpost.gif
My point exactly! Spaying neutering is the same exact thing IMO. Its chopping off or cutting out perfectly healthy normal tissue but no one thinks twice about that being cruel. And make no mistake... spaying neutering is not done for the dogs ,its done for our convenience so we can modify behaviors we don't like(example,leg lifting in males) and so we do not have to be responsible for keeping a closer eye on our animals to make sure they do not reproduce. Not exactly justifiable reasons in my book for major surgery.

I've read that female dogs not spayed before their first heat have a greater chance of developing breast tumors, and this increases to 25% chance of developing breast tumors if the dog is not spayed before her fourth heat. Not all breast tumors are malignant, but if an unspayed dog starts developing breast tumors then spaying will help reduce the risk of the tumors spreading.

the issue with getting rid of them here is their tendency to bite strangers. here in Ohio if you have a "beware of the dog" sign, you are admitting you know the dog bites. any dog owner is responsible for medical bills from a bite. the way around the law is to put up "caution attack dog signs" and have your dogs inside a fence. with this, you are warning people that the dogs are trained to bite, you cross the fence at your own risk. if someone does cross the fence, they have to prove they cant read to put the liability on you.

My partner wanted to put Attack Chicken signs around the coop cuz he thinks those signs are funny. I tried to explain the liability issues to him. He doesn't get it at all ... probably because the liability issues are so dumb here and he is from somewhere else. And also because he has never been attacked by an aggressive rooster so doesn't understand how serious it can be, especially for kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom