Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
(I don't know if I've posted this already, sorry if I have,)
Last year, after an important test, I was reading a book with a fancy bookmark that my friend had made me. Granted, she wasn't exactly a modern Renoir, but the chicken she had drawn on the bookmark was pretty good considering she hasn't really been around chickens. A girl sitting next to me was staring at my bookmark in confusion for some time and eventually she pointed to it and said "is that a hamster inside a necklace?"
The drawing looked sort of like this:

She seemed to think the wing was a hamster. I have no idea how she got the necklace part. But wait, there's more.
I said "noooo. That is a CHICKEN."
Her: "oh....why does it have a Mohawk?"
Me: "that's not a Mohawk. That's a comb. *lengthy explanation of chicken anatomy*" (somehow I ended up explaining the feet)
Me: "...... So chicken feet are scaly!"
Her: " oh! Like fish! I knew chickens could swim!"
Me: " what? Who? How?.... Fish?..... Gah. Too much faulty logic. System shutting down, :th "

My family is wondering how we could POSSIBLY eat our hens when they are done laying eggs. My response was....well I named them Marsala, Picata, Noodle, Biscuit, Curry, Spicy, Ali-fredo, and Frice. It blows my mind how people can bury their heads in the sand and act like our farm fresh eggs have something wrong with them because they don't come from a grocery store. The yokes are almost orange with mine because of their varied diet and they are AMAZING to bake with. While I adore my flock and they give me a lot of joy I also have no illusions about what they are....a food source.

My mother-in-law said to me the other day, "You have spent so much money on these chickens that when they start laying, the eggs will cost 50.00 a dozen." Her point of view is influenced by the fact that she is in no way shape or form an animal person. After she said to me I thought, "I love our babies so much that right now I don't care if they ever lay an egg!"
smile.png

The general population will never know the difference if they remain uneducated. None of that has ever been taught in the public school systems. Reading/Writing/Arithmetic ...and now some even stranger subjects.

It is just amazing some of the stuff people come up with.

My mother-in-law said to me the other day, "You have spent so much money on these chickens that when they start laying, the eggs will cost 50.00 a dozen."  Her point of view is influenced by the fact that she is in no way shape or form an animal person.  After she said to me I thought, "I love our babies  so much that right now I don't care if they ever lay an egg!"  :)

Show her a therapist bill signed with a chicken print. And you have to include noting the hours you spent with your therapists.

RE: "My family is wondering how we could POSSIBLY eat our hens when they are done laying eggs" and other such questions:

A lot of the ignorance we encounter is willful ... it's called "denial", one of Freud's 12 self defense mechanisms. People go into denial because they find the truth uncomfortable, whether it be where food comes from, what that manipulative new Mr. Wonderful in their life is really up to, their children's behavior ("My child would never do that", when the kid is caught red handed), and so on. People have difficulty facing the truth because they were never forced to as a child ("I don't want little Johnny to see that perverted horse exposing himself in the pasture") and can't accept that it doesn't fit into their "Disneyworld" image of life. The media and entire social structure is complicit in promoting this image. That's how corporations have managed to brainwash the public when it comes to convincing them that factory produced food is cleaner and healthier than food grown in dirt, compost and manure. So, now the American public is fatter and unhealthier than ever because they believe food made in factories lined with "sterile" stainless steel and governed by federal regulations is best for them. Just mention dirt, germs, e-coli, salmonella, etc., and you have people flooding to the center aisles of the grocery stores in terror, scarfing up "sanitary" processed junk.

Did you realize there's a whole area of psychology dedicated to consulting with advertising to find the best ways to sell a particular product? But, in order to buy into their message, first you have to be uncomfortable with the "ugly" truth. I think I'm very lucky because I see the truth of the entire food cycle as a beautiful miracle. How perfect is a system that starts with a chicken, from which we get eggs and manure for growing crops and help in the garden, which are then used as food when they stop producing eggs? Plus, they reproduce themselves so they can be replaced when their job is done. I guess that's why I enjoy hanging out with the folks at BYC so much. We aren't wedded to the artificial, plastic, Disneyland, dishonest version of life that so many are these days. How refreshing!

Thank you!!

Last edited:
My family is wondering how we could POSSIBLY eat our hens when they are done laying eggs. My response was....well I named them Marsala, Picata, Noodle, Biscuit, Curry, Spicy, Ali-fredo, and Frice. It blows my mind how people can bury their heads in the sand and act like our farm fresh eggs have something wrong with them because they don't come from a grocery store. The yokes are almost orange with mine because of their varied diet and they are AMAZING to bake with. While I adore my flock and they give me a lot of joy I also have no illusions about what they are....a food source.

But... food comes from the grocery store. It does spontaneously regenerate in the shelves doesn't it?

RE: "My family is wondering how we could POSSIBLY eat our hens when they are done laying eggs" and other such questions:

A lot of the ignorance we encounter is willful ... it's called "denial", one of Freud's 12 self defense mechanisms. People go into denial because they find the truth uncomfortable, whether it be where food comes from, what that manipulative new Mr. Wonderful in their life is really up to, their children's behavior ("My child would never do that", when the kid is caught red handed), and so on. People have difficulty facing the truth because they were never forced to as a child ("I don't want little Johnny to see that perverted horse exposing himself in the pasture") and can't accept that it doesn't fit into their "Disneyworld" image of life. The media and entire social structure is complicit in promoting this image. That's how corporations have managed to brainwash the public when it comes to convincing them that factory produced food is cleaner and healthier than food grown in dirt, compost and manure. So, now the American public is fatter and unhealthier than ever because they believe food made in factories lined with "sterile" stainless steel and governed by federal regulations is best for them. Just mention dirt, germs, e-coli, salmonella, etc., and you have people flooding to the center aisles of the grocery stores in terror, scarfing up "sanitary" processed junk.

Did you realize there's a whole area of psychology dedicated to consulting with advertising to find the best ways to sell a particular product? But, in order to buy into their message, first you have to be uncomfortable with the "ugly" truth. I think I'm very lucky because I see the truth of the entire food cycle as a beautiful miracle. How perfect is a system that starts with a chicken, from which we get eggs and manure for growing crops and help in the garden, which are then used as food when they stop producing eggs? Plus, they reproduce themselves so they can be replaced when their job is done. I guess that's why I enjoy hanging out with the folks at BYC so much. We aren't wedded to the artificial, plastic, Disneyland, dishonest version of life that so many are these days. How refreshing!

Thank you!!
goodpost.gif
I agree about how people seem to have the "Disneyland" picture of the world. Apparently some believe that eggs from a store means they didn't come out of a chicken's butt and are magically clean. They don't want to face the truth that in egg factories, chickens are usually kept in harsh quarters and that the eggs did come out of a chicken's butt. Rules and regulations seem to have people confident in major companies and their cleanliness, but I don't trust it. I am my rule maker for my chickens, and it works much better than any rule or regulation put on egg companies.

My mother-in-law said to me the other day, "You have spent so much money on these chickens that when they start laying, the eggs will cost 50.00 a dozen." Her point of view is influenced by the fact that she is in no way shape or form an animal person. After she said to me I thought, "I love our babies so much that right now I don't care if they ever lay an egg!"
smile.png

I have a cousin who said something similar. It was "why do you work taking care of chickens when the eggs are cheap in the grocery store". She also has a gym membership she never uses and eats at high end restaurants 4-5 times per week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom