Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't get many dumb things said to me at farm fair this year, but you would not BELIEVE number of people who couldn't tell a duck from a chicken and vice versa. And almost everyone thought that the hens were roosters. And the number of people who didn't even know that chicken was the species not the female? Unbelievable! It took me 5-10 minutes to explain to this one woman the hen=female rooster=male thing. She kept saying: "so chicken is female?"
smack.gif

People do that all the time to me! It is really weird (I think) because I have never thought that EVER!?
So do those people think that when they eat chicken it is only girl chickens?

So I've only gotten 2 eggs so far from my girls (only one laying so far) and my mom already asked if the eggs are laid soft and then harden in the air and a friend asked if we were afraid of a chick coming out of the eggs since we have a rooster *face palm*

So I've only gotten 2 eggs so far from my girls (only one laying so far) and my mom already asked if the eggs are laid soft and then harden in the air and a friend asked if we were afraid of a chick coming out of the eggs since we have a rooster *face palm*
I have a friend who raises chickens who thought this as well for a LONG time. I had to set her straight on it. Unfortunately, just because someone owns chickens, it doesn't mean that they are not still ignorant of their beloved animals.

People do that all the time to me! It is really weird (I think) because I have never thought that EVER!?
So do those people think that when they eat chicken it is only girl chickens?

I think they do think that. There's that theory about why certain chicken parts are so big, must be because of their gender... Lol

Too much Animal Planet or cartoons. They got reptiles and birds confused. And another but here ..... there was an idea about lumping birds and reptiles together, not sure where it went.

Quote:
Veterinarians won't usually perform it. There are still people who do it on farms; some work for several different farmers as it is a very skilled trade.

The hormone capsules are no surprise; before hormones were outlawed in poultry in the US and elsewhere, hormone injections and pellets were used to caponize chickens without surgery. This caused problems as people who ate these chickens absorbed the hormones. Hormones were replaced by the improved "Chicken of Tomorrow" contest winning meat bird strains.

I seem to remember an EU? or was it just some countries, had a ban or restriction on caponizing.

I didn't get many dumb things said to me at farm fair this year, but you would not BELIEVE number of people who couldn't tell a duck from a chicken and vice versa. And almost everyone thought that the hens were roosters. And the number of people who didn't even know that chicken was the species not the female? Unbelievable! It took me 5-10 minutes to explain to this one woman the hen=female rooster=male thing. She kept saying: "so chicken is female?"
smack.gif
I'm going with the benefit of the doubt here, and point out that cow=female, but it also =species. There is only heifer, steer, bull, and cow. Buuuut, a bull is also a 'cow' in the sense that he is included in 'cattle'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom