Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: I have an Energizer Rabbit in my house too. He can sit still for TV shows so I take away privledges if he can't sit on the bus and gets himself in trouble at school. One day a couple of months ago, I knew he must really be sick because all he wanted to do was lay on the couch. Usually wwhen he's sent home sick, (or just had cavities drilled and filled, or any of the other things that normally make us want to take things easy) he is still bouncing off the walls.

I got one, just today someone dropped off their "roosters" because they didn't want them. My husband was about to process them when I come down and see two white leghorn hens. I asked my husband if he had a good look at these "roosters" that these people had left. When he finally looked he was shocked and was like "oh wow you're right! They are hens!" so I guess we have two new girls now that we got for free lol! At least this time someone's ignorance got me more chickens
tongue.png
I had an AustraWhite (cross between Australorp and Leghorn) fool me. I swear the comb turned red months earlier than its AustraWhite sister (only had the two and it was my first AWs). I finally caught the early maturing AW in the nest boxes and figured out she was a she after all. I had processed a rooster and was waiting for it to crow. I'm so glad I didn't process her when I processed the rooster since she would have been unfairly "condemned".

CG

Ok. Now, this is when I want to look at the person and ask, "Where did you get the idea roosters spray on the eggs to make them fertile? Did you read this somewhere, did you see it on the internet, or did someone tell you this?" I'm willing to bet they'd look befuddled and say, "No, I just assumed it".

Unfortunately, when I was a wee lass, my mother taught me that birds fertilized the eggs after they had been laid, a.k.a. spraying... She taught me a lot of crock, and it's a good thing I didn't live with her for very long. In my early-mid teens I started realizing how much BS she had instilled in me.

Something my step-mom told me that my half-sister told her about why she won't buy my eggs: they're "dirty". Step-mom acts like buying my eggs is a favour, and my sister refuses to purchase them again. My brother didn't want to meet my chickens because he thought it would disturb his appetite for the eggs. He has since gotten over that, thank goodness, however I've mostly stopped selling eggs to family.

Unfortunately, when I was a wee lass, my mother taught me that birds fertilized the eggs after they had been laid, a.k.a. spraying... She taught me a lot of crock, and it's a good thing I didn't live with her for very long. In my early-mid teens I started realizing how much BS she had instilled in me.

Something my step-mom told me that my half-sister told her about why she won't buy my eggs: they're "dirty". Step-mom acts like buying my eggs is a favour, and my sister refuses to purchase them again. My brother didn't want to meet my chickens because he thought it would disturb his appetite for the eggs. He has since gotten over that, thank goodness, however I've mostly stopped selling eggs to family.
I would be livid if someone told me they were doing me a favor by buying my eggs. I hate people like that. I'm glad your brother came around though. I would have thought more people were aware of where chicken eggs came from. Out of sight out of mind, I suppose.

Not so much with dobies, but your typical large, "aggressive", dog breed owner (I.e. pits, rotties, etc) is not usually the most responsible of dog owners, which is why I believe they have the bad rep. These breeds were created for guarding, protection, gameness for fighting and are VERY strong. They are also strong willed dogs who have a bred in aggressive tendency, if your dog is guarding something, he's not supposed to go up to the intruder and say "Hi, my name is Rover! The silver is this way". Its just their nature. Thus they need a very firm hand and LOTS of training to ensure their behavior will not get out of control because they can and do become dangerous.
Speaking from having had an Am. Staff (smaller pit bull) who we adopted from a stupid teenage boy who did not train him, did not neuter him, and (surprise surprise!) could not control him, I hate to say it but the reputation is there because of irresponsible ownership.
People who do not train these breeds properly are ASKING for trouble. And lets face it, who "usually" owns these breeds? Young males age 16-25 who want a "tough dog", and who have the "if I keep my balls, he keeps his" attitude. BAD BAD BAD IDEA!
Ugh....

To make a long comment short, the "dangerous breeds" may be inherently more aggressive than other breeds because we made them that way. But it's the irresponsible owners that are the real problem, not the dogs. With proper training, any dog can be good.

LIES!!!!!! "Pit Bulls" as they are commonly known, and Stafordshire Terrier as to the breed were bred to be work dogs originally. They were cart haulers and ox and bull herders. Then they were bred to be "nanny" dogs. These dogs have great, wonderful, CARING personalities. They were bought by parents of means as soon as they knew they were pregnant. These dogs were given the responsibility of taking care of the children. They were to keep the children safe and would go to great ends to make sure the children did not get harmed. They do NOT have bred in aggressive tendencies. If you look up these dogs, the first pup that showed aggression was killed, along with all the litter mates, and the Dam and Sire. These dogs were BRED FOR LOVE! Some people have given these dogs a bad name, I agree. I have 2. One was found along a highway in a ditch having been hit by a car. Her name is Sweetie because she will lick you and love you and climb in your lap for attention. I now also have a male. I was worried about him when we got him. He had been tied in a backyard with a cable around his neck. The cable had grown into his neck. He was already 6 years old. So 6 years of neglect and starvation. He is only aggressive to our Rottweiler which is thick headed and won't back down. I trust my Chihuahua with him. I would trust a baby with him. He climbs in my lap in my recliner if I'm not watching him closely. 130 pounds of love, and that is AFTER he was neglected and hurt. Just like the chickens that live their lives in the battery cages, they come out being loving, wonderful pets. My male's name was Trouble when he was found as I imagine he was a handful when being mistreated. His name is Prince. He is 130 pounds of muscle. He has NEVER had training and is a great pet. My Chihuahua is more aggressive than my Pit Bulls. We also got our Rottie from a home that could no longer keep him. He is a BIG BABY. The only aggression he has ever shown was to my male Pit Bull. (And yes they are both Neutered.)

Everything you say is a big misconception that I work very hard to overturn. This thread is about chickens and the funny, comic, misconceptions that people say about them. Well I am here to tell you that you are WRONG about Pit Bulls. It would take training to make my girl and boy a "Guarding" dog and they would still probably follow someone around and tell them where everything was that was worth stealing. The most harm they will do is break your leg with their tail as they beat you with it. So please, as with all misconceptions, PLEASE research what you are talking about before you make broad strokes like that for any animal, breed, person, or religion. Until you do, you are more likely to be wrong than right.

LIES!!!!!! "Pit Bulls" as they are commonly known, and Stafordshire Terrier as to the breed were bred to be work dogs originally. They were cart haulers and ox and bull herders. Then they were bred to be "nanny" dogs. These dogs have great, wonderful, CARING personalities. They were bought by parents of means as soon as they knew they were pregnant. These dogs were given the responsibility of taking care of the children. They were to keep the children safe and would go to great ends to make sure the children did not get harmed. They do NOT have bred in aggressive tendencies. If you look up these dogs, the first pup that showed aggression was killed, along with all the litter mates, and the Dam and Sire. These dogs were BRED FOR LOVE! Some people have given these dogs a bad name, I agree. I have 2. One was found along a highway in a ditch having been hit by a car. Her name is Sweetie because she will lick you and love you and climb in your lap for attention. I now also have a male. I was worried about him when we got him. He had been tied in a backyard with a cable around his neck. The cable had grown into his neck. He was already 6 years old. So 6 years of neglect and starvation. He is only aggressive to our Rottweiler which is thick headed and won't back down. I trust my Chihuahua with him. I would trust a baby with him. He climbs in my lap in my recliner if I'm not watching him closely. 130 pounds of love, and that is AFTER he was neglected and hurt. Just like the chickens that live their lives in the battery cages, they come out being loving, wonderful pets. My male's name was Trouble when he was found as I imagine he was a handful when being mistreated. His name is Prince. He is 130 pounds of muscle. He has NEVER had training and is a great pet. My Chihuahua is more aggressive than my Pit Bulls. We also got our Rottie from a home that could no longer keep him. He is a BIG BABY. The only aggression he has ever shown was to my male Pit Bull. (And yes they are both Neutered.)

Everything you say is a big misconception that I work very hard to overturn. This thread is about chickens and the funny, comic, misconceptions that people say about them. Well I am here to tell you that you are WRONG about Pit Bulls. It would take training to make my girl and boy a "Guarding" dog and they would still probably follow someone around and tell them where everything was that was worth stealing. The most harm they will do is break your leg with their tail as they beat you with it. So please, as with all misconceptions, PLEASE research what you are talking about before you make broad strokes like that for any animal, breed, person, or religion. Until you do, you are more likely to be wrong than right.

I agree. my friends neighbor has a pit bull, and the only thing "wrong" with him is getting drool everywhere. he's ridiculously sweet. the first time I saw him he licked my face and fallowed me around.
were here to talk about chickens, lets keep it that way!

this thread is turning from funny to mean.

in my opinion we should laugh at what is said but dont judge. we have all had ignorant moments

i-have-nothing-to-say.gif

It is a bit harsh. I personally blame not the people (I mean the dumb moments I've had... So much worse than these!) but more the public school system. They don't even mention stuff like this.

Pits originally were bred to be Nanny's, but many now have had aggression bred into them for fighting. Unfortunately they can still be very dangerous because of it and one should always be cautious. I new a guy that had an awesome pit, had the dog for years then one day it just viciously attacked him out of the blue. Quite sad. I think if one goes with a pit, their parentage and bloodlines need to be examined, and an many cases some are fortunate to never have a bad encounter.

I love German Shepherds. But even then you get a nutty one on occasion.. I find it ore prominent in American lines though. The good ones are from Germany.

Another are Dalmatians, great family dog, but if it gets jealous.. oh oh oh oh boy look out.. and sneaky things they are. Not a good beginner dog.

I think it's all in the particular dog. I once got bit on the hand by a very sweet looking pomeranian. Meanwhile I withdrew my hand and found a doberman licking it as if to say, "sorry my friend bit you." So back to chickens when I was a kid we had this rooster that would just chase me everywhere! I was scared to death of this rooster and when my mom found out. I realized how much I loved that rooster in my tummy.
big_smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom