Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple chocolate cake recipe looks like something I would try, but I don't see any sugar in it??

Me neither. Try 1 to 2 cups.

Here is another one from J. Miller at allrecipes.com

Ingredients

Original recipe makes 1 - 8 inch cake
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup cold, strong, brewed coffee

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8 inch pan. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat well. Add flour mixture, alternating with coffee. Beat until just incorporated.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing any eggs in the chocolate cake recipes.....

Still waiting on the Idiot Cake
caf.gif

These are recipes that came from Germans from Russia in the 19th Century or early 20th Century. They were and are an extremely frugal people.

To be fair, some of the 'first eggs' from my hens were . . . .odd inside. With improper yolks that had weird colors and/or wasn't whole (like a broken yolk). I didn't eat them. I am getting
quite a few doubles though, now that they have been laying a few weeks. . .I know it will stop, but it's fun while I'm getting them. =)

If mine come out funky I might feed them back to the chickens. But she acted like all first eggs weren't edible. Like that is what she had always been taught. I thought it was odd. And I wasn't rude to her, just that initial reaction of someone suggesting I throw away those so long awaited first eggs. It was pretty funny really.

If mine come out funky I might feed them back to the chickens.  But she acted like all first eggs weren't edible.  Like that is what she had always been taught.  I thought it was odd.  And I wasn't rude to her, just that initial reaction of someone suggesting I throw away those so long awaited first eggs.  It was pretty funny really.

Well the first eggs would change the proportions in the recipe.
We always gave the first pancake, waffle, etc to the dog. It was for testing the temperature of the griddle more than anything else but reasons why tend to get forgotten. I could see a tradition like that easily becoming a superstition.…

A newly married couple was beginning their first Sunday meal preparation. The young woman began preparing a wonderful roast of beef while the man was preparing the vegetables. As they worked, the man noticed that the wife sliced off both ends of the roast and then rolled it in spiced flour. Curious, he asked, “Why did you do that?” “Do what?” “Slice the ends off the roast,” he responded, “Does that make it juicier or something?”
“Well, I don’t really know. Mom always does that when she cooks a roast.” So they called her mother and were amused to hear that she also didn’t know why the ends should be cut off the roast. It turns out it was because “your Grandmother always did that and so I do too.” Of course they called Grandmother and heard a hearty laugh when they asked her “why do we always cut the ends off the roast of beef before cooking it?” After Grandmother got control of her laughter, she exclaimed, “I can’t believe you guys are doing that! The only reason I did that in the early years is because your Grandfather and I had only one roasting pan and it was too small for a roast big enough to feed us all.”

Well the first eggs would change the proportions in the recipe.
We always gave the first pancake, waffle, etc to the dog. It was for testing the temperature of the griddle more than anything else but reasons why tend to get forgotten. I could see a tradition like that easily becoming a superstition.…

A family had a tradition of cutting off the end of the ham before baking it as a part of the Thanks giving feast. One year a grand child asked the mother why. Mom said I do not know, go ask your grandmother. Grandma said that way back when they had a wood stove, the pan was smaller(wood stoves had smaller ovens) so they had to trim the ham to make it fit in the pan.

Yes, traditions often do not have a good reason as conditions change.

A family had a tradition of cutting off the end of the ham before baking it as a part of the Thanks giving feast. One year a grand child asked the mother why. Mom said I do not know, go ask your grandmother. Grandma said that way back when they had a wood stove, the pan was smaller(wood stoves had smaller ovens) so they had to trim the ham to make it fit in the pan.

Yes, traditions often do not have a good reason as conditions change.
reminds me of tying the cat.

Quote:
they aren't cranked out specifically for slaughter. Happy cows produce more milk!

But you're also talking Finnland, which is in Europe, they have a much better attitude toward animal welfare than they do "here."
that "like family members" also applies to beef cattle on smaller farms and i would assume most other small meat farms. There are many reasons to treat the cattle and any other farm animal well. First and foremost happy health animals bring more money and do the work they are kept for. Second most small farmers spend way more time with the cattle than people, so how could any normal rational human mistreat "knuckle head(or any other random name)" he/she just got through talking at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom