Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't aware that eggs in shells (verses store eggs unshelled in waxed cardboard containers like a pint of cream comes in) were pastured.
Store eggs are usually much older by the time they appear in stores then fresh eggs directly from the chicken.
Store bought eggs have the "bloom" or protective covering washed off which can allow eggs to be not as sanitary, and just recently I read in a chicken magazine, I forget the percentages, but free range eggs have more vitamins and less cholesterol than eggs from the store.
Last winter I was reading recipes for holiday drinks using raw eggs and they told you to use your own fresh unwashed clean eggs, not eggs from a store. I still wouldn't do that but it is indicative about the sanitation levels of your own eggs over store bought.

I wasn't aware that eggs in shells (verses store eggs unshelled in waxed cardboard containers like a pint of cream comes in) were pastured.
Store eggs are usually much older by the time they appear in stores then fresh eggs directly from the chicken.
Store bought eggs have the "bloom" or protective covering washed off which can allow eggs to be not as sanitary, and just recently I read in a chicken magazine, I forget the percentages, but free range eggs have more vitamins and less cholesterol than eggs from the store.
Last winter I was reading recipes for holiday drinks using raw eggs and they told you to use your own fresh unwashed clean eggs, not eggs from a store. I still wouldn't do that but it is indicative about the sanitation levels of your own eggs over store bought.

Makes sense, think about it...My chickens are outside, coop is always clean. Totally different than a commercial laying farm. There is way less chickens

This egg pasteurization is interesting, I'd like to know what temperatures they use. To my understanding, you need 158F to destroy Salmonella, while the egg white will start cookign at 142F and yolk at 150F.

This egg pasteurization is interesting, I'd like to know what temperatures they use. To my understanding, you need 158F to destroy Salmonella, while the egg white will start cookign at 142F and yolk at 150F.

Pasteurized is the new hardboiled!

Here's the wikipedia link to pasteurized eggs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteurized_eggs#Pasteurized_shell_eggs

I saw some pasteurized eggs in the store around Christmas a couple years ago. I think they were around $6 bucks a dozen. It was so much that I commented on it to my husband. Only eggs I've seen more expensive are the free-range, organic, blue eggs at the health food store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom