Dutch Bantams Breed Thread

The color or variety is "Light Brown". The light brown will be the wild type color pattern with the males being black with light brown hackles and saddles and the females being light brown with the salmon breast.

The standard for Dutch Bantams is Slate Shanks for all the varieties except the Crele and Cuckoo varieties due to the diluting effect of the barring gene that creates those varieties. If you are getting yellow or white shanks then you don't have pure breed Dutch. They have likely been out crossed with something else along the way.

Close to Huntsville. Small town. My boys have just taken an interest to the breed, normally we show standards but the bantams seem to be easier for them. Looking for local breeders to have the boys see what good birds are vs their birds. Seeing a cleaned up bird at a show and seeing one at home are two different things.

Hello! I hatched some eggs that were sold to me as "light brown Dutch bantam" Can anyone confirm what the color is? Also, I have some with white/yellow shanks and some with slate what would be the appropriate color for show? I feel confused by what I've found on the internet! Not the greatest picture I can try to take a better one if needed. Thanks!
Based on the sent photo, I think the bird on the right could probably be a Dutch bantam pullet (because she has slate legs which all Dutch bantams should have, both sporting pale brownish-orange breasts, making them hens). Her plumage color may be light brown/gold, or cream-light brown/yellow. To the left, I'm positive she's unlikely a Dutch, though still a bantam breed. Her legs & feet are colored pink or sandy brown, as well as the cape and back being slightly muted in contrast to the neighboring chick.

Hello! I hatched some eggs that were sold to me as "light brown Dutch bantam" Can anyone confirm what the color is? Also, I have some with white/yellow shanks and some with slate what would be the appropriate color for show? I feel confused by what I've found on the internet! Not the greatest picture I can try to take a better one if needed. Thanks!
Hi dskulz, the dutch on the picture dont look exactly like they should. Probably a mix.
In the Netherlands there is a club and on several websites in .nl you can find more information about the looks. With google translate you can read the information.
www.hollandsekriel.nl

I love this breed and had one when I was younger. Now I have a flock again and can’t find this breed anywhere near New England! Did the breed popularity decline in the US?

I am not sure what the status of the Dutch Bantam Breed is. I was at the Canadian Valley APA show in Norman, OK on the 14th of November and there appeared to be a strong showing of Dutch Bantams. They are a lot less common at shows than the Old English Game Bantams, but there are usually some on exhibition. They are around. Not sure how hard it is to find them though.

I love this breed and had one when I was younger. Now I have a flock again and can’t find this breed anywhere near New England! Did the breed popularity decline in the US?
The hatching eggs that i got came from a wonderful lady in NY. I ended up with some birds that i adore so much. She's supposed to let me know if she starts selling eggs again, because i definitely want more. Believe it or not, i discovered her on ebay and remember a couple of people selling hatching eggs. I can't attest to the quality of all of the birds from other sellers but hopefully this will be a starting point and you'll find some beautiful Dutch Bantams

Hello fellow Dutch Bantam enthusiasts! My sweet little Blue Dutch Bantam Pullet, Beatrice, is 10 months old. I noticed this dark color on her face recently and I wanted to ask if this is normal or if something is going with her? It's on both sides so I'm hoping it's something to do with the lav gene, but I'm unable to find information on this. I keep worrying about possible sunburn or something like that. I can move her coop if necessary. There is a Blue Serama Pullet in their flock and she also has a tiny dark line on the rim of her comb, but it's not as extensive as Beatrice's face. The other Dutch Bantam pullet doesn't have this (she's a slight splash with salmon breast red comb and wattles and light face) and they're inseparable.
20210407_084833.jpg

Back
Top Bottom