Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Sorry, I should clarify.

Orpingtons produce brown eggs.

I am looking to produce one that looks like the orpington carrying the blue gene (and of course the brown), but my hope is that it will successfully carry the blue. I am concerned about her getting a blue gene because I just have a hatchery Ameraucana cockerel. These are my first pullets coming into lay with this Cockerel and I if these make a green egg this means my cock has 2 copies of the blue gene!

Then I can work on my blue to blue birds. ;-)

But I am interested in enjoying the look of the chocolate orpington with poofy cheeks and a different colored egg.

Sorry, I should clarify.

Orpingtons produce brown eggs.

I am looking to produce one that looks like the orpington carrying the blue gene (and of course the brown), but my hope is that it will successfully carry the blue. I am concerned about her getting a blue gene because I just have a hatchery Ameraucana cockerel. These are my first pullets coming into lay with this Cockerel and I if these make a green egg this means my cock has 2 copies of the blue gene!

Then I can work on my blue to blue birds. ;-)

But I am interested in enjoying the look of the chocolate orpington with poofy cheeks and a different colored egg.
(You probably already know this, but it might help the next person.)

So, kind of along what junebuggena was saying, you are working with 2 different sets of genes. The shell will either be white or blue, which is controlled by one gene. There are several brown genes that, if present, contribute to a brown coating on the outer layers of the shell. When brown goes over blue shells, the egg will look green or khaki or olive depending on how dark the brown is (and if you have one or two blue shell genes). Most hatchery EEs are made from various production brown layer stock that has been crossed into Ameraucana stock, so most hatchery EEs already have genes for brown and either 1 or 2 blue genes, but there's no guarantee the EE rooster has any at all. You won't know for sure until you breed and see the egg color from your pullet offspring. Starting with a full blooded, well bred Ameraucana rooster would be the easiest way to start your project. I think Orps are a good candidate because they tend to have very pale eggs.

Sounds like a fun project. I love EEs. Waiting to see the pics of your Orp with muffs!
pop.gif

(You probably already know this, but it might help the next person.)

So, kind of along what junebuggena was saying, you are working with 2 different sets of genes. The shell will either be white or blue, which is controlled by one gene. There are several brown genes that, if present, contribute to a brown coating on the outer layers of the shell. When brown goes over blue shells, the egg will look green or khaki or olive depending on how dark the brown is (and if you have one or two blue shell genes). Most hatchery EEs are made from various production brown layer stock that has been crossed into Ameraucana stock, so most hatchery EEs already have genes for brown and either 1 or 2 blue genes, but there's no guarantee the EE rooster has any at all. You won't know for sure until you breed and see the egg color from your pullet offspring. Starting with a full blooded, well bred Ameraucana rooster would be the easiest way to start your project. I think Orps are a good candidate because they tend to have very pale eggs.

Sounds like a fun project. I love EEs. Waiting to see the pics of your Orp with muffs!
pop.gif
Agree. It all depends on if your hatchery 'Ameraucana' is really an Ameraucana, or an Easter Egger. As already stated in a previous response, the chicks with a pea comb have the best odds of carrying the blue shell gene.

Good morning everyone!! Back again with an update-- my last pics of this one was I think 2 or 3 weeks ago. Now my bird is about 9 weeks old. I think all of you who said pullet might be changing your minds this week!!!!

If it was mine, I'd be hanging on to it for a couple more weeks. I see the curved tail feathers and the reddish comb, but I also see a pullet shaped comb, pullet coloring, and slender legs.

edited because I said "I be..."
lol.png

Last edited:
If it was mine, I be hanging on to it for a couple more weeks.  I see the curved tail feathers and the reddish comb, but I also see a pullet shaped comb, pullet coloring, and slender legs. 

x2. One of my EE pullets had a comb brighter red than that at that age. And my other EE pullet developed soft, rounded feathers that curled down on either side of her tail feathers.

Back
Top Bottom