Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Hi All. My EES are now 23 weeks. No eggs yet, but this time of year does not surprise me. Can ya'll just confirm that these are pullets? I'm pretty sure they are, but for some reason the black one gives me angst. It was doing the egg song (or what my other girls sound like when they are doing the egg song) this morning and when it did my bad to the bone silkie rooster chimed in. He is usually not noisy when the girls sing. They are the friendliest things. They follow me like puppies. Thanks for looking.

Hi All. My EES are now 23 weeks. No eggs yet, but this time of year does not surprise me. Can ya'll just confirm that these are pullets? I'm pretty sure they are, but for some reason the black one gives me angst. It was doing the egg song (or what my other girls sound like when they are doing the egg song) this morning and when it did my bad to the bone silkie rooster chimed in. He is usually not noisy when the girls sing. They are the friendliest things. They follow me like puppies. Thanks for looking.
Both girls. I think it hilarious when they whole flock starts singing along.

Thank you @junebuggena ! It was pretty funny. They all looked around like what is going on? Love these crazy birds. Hopefully I'll have some eggs from these two soon
wee.gif

I agree on them being pullets, though I bet the comb on the brown one gave you stress. Clearly a lot bigger than the combs on my EEs.

My EE pullets (hatched June 8th) started laying at:
23 weeks, 2 days - 51 eggs so far
26 weeks and 1 day - 43 eggs so far
30 weeks and 5 days - 12 eggs so far

so do not fear that they are holding out on you or won't ever lay
big_smile.png

I agree on them being pullets, though I bet the comb on the brown one gave you stress. Clearly a lot bigger than the combs on my EEs.

My EE pullets (hatched June 8th) started laying at:
23 weeks, 2 days - 51 eggs so far
26 weeks and 1 day - 43 eggs so far
30 weeks and 5 days - 12 eggs so far

so do not fear that they are holding out on you or won't ever lay
big_smile.png

Oh My! That is exciting!!! Can't wait to see my eggs! Thank you!

Can you please explain how you are saying the EE on the left, with the giant comb, is a female, but mine in the picture (see previous page on this thread) is a male? I am trying to get a better understanding. Because now, of course, I think all my chickens look like a male because of my new paranoia.

Can you please explain how you are saying the EE on the left, with the giant comb, is a female, but mine in the picture (see previous page on this thread) is a male? I am trying to get a better understanding. Because now, of course, I think all my chickens look like a male because of my new paranoia.
The shape of the hackle and tail feathers mostly I think.

Cocks have arrowhead shaped hackle feathers while pullets have round tipped feathers and no curved or sickle shaped tail feathers.

Quote:
The comb on the chicken on the left doesn't look like a true pea comb to me (in that picture). If it is a straight comb, it would be taller and redder. The pea combs are much smaller. Look at the rows of "peas" in an EE comb. 1 is usually female, 3 is usually male. USUALLY. Nothing is certain in EE's as you know. We do tend to obsess about gender, though, don't we? The hackle feathers on your bird look boyish, too so that is another clue. As is the red patch on his wing. He is pretty, though. He may be a magnificent rooster. One thing certain, you will know when it crows or lays an egg.

Last edited:
Thank you for helping me learn. He (if it is a he) is going back today. We won't replace him because the others are too old. We can't have roosters without special permits. And we only want eggs to eat, not to hatch.

Out of 9 chicks, 2 died (one had a cross beak and could not eat, one had something happen with her insides the very next day.) And this is the second male. And of course, now all my chicks looks like boys to me including the sex-links!

We will have 5 chickens after today. Good size flock for first timers and only the two of us.

I appreciate the help. Sad to see him go. But he will lead a good life and one day we may adopt one of his daughters!

Really interesting coloring on that bird newmarch. Must have given you fits trying to figure out gender when she was young.
Yeah she was our question mark for sure. She now lays a beautiful verylight blue egg. The pictures above are her now, and her egg front and center.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom