Easter Eggers from Hatcheries

I had 3 from mypetchicken.com (which I'm told uses the chicks from Meyer Hatchery). They were all shades of green but one had a yellow tint to the green. I ordered 8 bantams from Cackle a month ago. The box arrived with all dead chicks but I noticed 2 were blue legged EE'ers which usually means they'll lay blue eggs. The rest were yellow legged chicks. Too bad they weren't alive because they were sure cute. I hope the replacement box has even more blue legged/blue eggers. I want a good mix of colors.

Carla
Oh my gosh.
sad.png
That's sad that they arrived that way. Hopefully the new ones will arrive in good health.
I am hoping to have a good range of colors also.

Last edited:
I ordered 15 chicks total, only 14 shipped so I was short 1 but I don't think that had much to do with the babies dying. 8 of them were EE'ers and 7 (err 6 because they shorted me one were RIR bantams) and the range of colors seemed to be very wide so 2 bluish looking and the rest were shades of yellows and browns. I'm pretty sure one would have been whitish with beige because she/he already had some feathers peeking on the tips. I plan on calling Post Office soon as I have a tracking # and see if they will stop the box in Fresno hub so I can drive over there and pick them up without making them wait another day to ship over into Clovis. I think if they will do this for me the babies will arrive alive. If not, I may end up with another box of deceased babies and it was heartbreaking enough the first time.
hit.gif

Carla

Calling the post office was pointless. They can't stop the package in middle of the shipping unless I pick a post office closer to the hub in which case they STILL would wait overnight to be shipped from hub to the post office down the street so I may as well just wait and see what happens. It says they will be here tomorrow but as last time it will be Thursday. Our night time temps have been in the high 50s so I am hopeful that perhaps even if postal workers don't care about my birds that they will be able to stay warm enough to survive the Fresno to Clovis overnight trip. Will let everyone know what happens.

Update!

My baby chicks arrived today not tomorrow! They are all alive. Happy to report I have 3 bluish EEers bantams with bluish legs, 5 yellow EEers (1 with brown stripes), 1 brown EEer, no stripes, and 7 reddish brown RIR bantams. I hope all the blue ones are females! Hoping for blue eggs. I will have to post pictures on my profile because this won't let me attach pictures.

I am positive because my last batch were sent to San Francisco instead of straight to Fresno that the delay was in San Fran so my chicks died due to dehydration and/or cold temps. This batch came straight to Fresno without going thru San Fran and delivery time was exact this trip.

Thanks Cackle for the prompt customer care! Cackle has beautifully colored babies.

Carla

I went and ordered 7 more EEer bantams but this time from Meyer so I could get a low minimum and get a ton of color variations in my flock. This was just insurance against having too many roosters in the Cackle bunch. I don't want them to be too far apart in age. I got 6 live ones. One little baby got smothered in the trip. The color variations in this group are 2 light cream (not yellow and seem to have white wing tips), 1 black (has black wings and little leg feathers), 1 gray (looks like black and white wings), and 2 browns (black/brown wings). 4 have what appear to be gray legs not yellow legs.

My other 14 from Cackle are in ugly duckling stage at 4 weeks old. 2 of those have leg feathers and 5 have slate gray legs and the rest yellow legs. So I should have a wide variety of egg colors once the girls start laying. Any roosters will be finding new homes or processed for table.

My EEer bantam from Cackle is the first to lay in the RIR/EE batch I got in April. She is 19 weeks old. Even the RIR bantams are not laying yet.

Hello there, my name is Val. I am looking for a couple of hens for pets & eggs can you advise me please.

I live in Palm Springs CA and the big name ones want at least $50.00 to ship them. That is allot of eggs lol

If you know of any places in So Cal I would drive over.

Thank you so very much,

Sincerely,

Val Crotty
[email protected]

Back
Top Bottom