Easter Eggers-What breeds do YOU prefer to cross your Ameraucanas with?

Pics
I crossed a Ginger Red Easter Egger rooster to some Production Red hens, and out of the hatch I wound up with 3 pullets. There are 2 red duckwings and a golden blue duckwing. They are now about 25 weeks old and have begun laying. One of them lays a olive green egg and 2 are laying light brown eggs.

I'm going to start saving eggs from the olive egg layer in a few months, I have her paired up with my Salmon colored Naked Neck rooster.

If I have BO rooster and an Ameraucana hen would the chicks be considered EE's and what color eggs would I most likely get from these chicks?

This is what I was talking about with your Speckled Sussex hen cross with the Blue Ameraucana rooster. This is actually a rooster from a Speckled Sussex rooster over a Black Australorp hen cross, but I'd think your cross will give a similar result. All my roosters from this cross had these random colored feathers, sometimes gold like this and sometimes darker red, but all the hens were pure black. The major difference is that I'd expect some of yours to be black and some blue.

But you never really know until you hatch some. You can sometimes have surprises. The parents are not always as pure as you sometimes think.

Good luck! You should get some interesting chicks.

Absolutely stunning!

I have my favorite easter egger hen that lays very well for me, and I have two marans cockerels - one blue, one splash. Here they are together:

I am thinking of crossing my hen with one of them - probably the splash marans, to get some olive egger babies. Does anyone know what the offspring would look like? And what if I crossed her with the blue marans instead?

I recently got 2 white/grey black Icelander cockrels. How would they do in cross with black or red Ameracaunas?
ShaVirginia

Pics over time of one of my mix chicks. I don't have a pic of the EE mom, but judging by this mix, can you tell me the color of its mom? They have identical color pattern and personality.
She (the chick; pretty sure it's a pullet) started out with a speckled pattern, but the speckles disappeared as she aged. Also chick has feathered feet and a bit of a crest. I had a SS rooster and a partridge silkie rooster in the same coop with the mom, so is it possible for the chick to have genes from both roosters and the EE mom? Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what the comb dominance would be for the following?

Dominique rooster x Rhode Island Red hen (I guess rose comb is dominant?)

Dominique rooster x Ameraucana (I guess walnut comb?)

I have a brown red Ameraucana and she is getting a bit of age on her but still lays about one to two times a week. I only have a lavender Orpington standard rooster. All my other Roos are bantams. I wonder what this cross would look like. Thinking of trying it to see. Anyone ever tried this cross for an Easter egger?

Back
Top Bottom