Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much for sitting on my hands, had a third pip so decided not to intervene with the one chick, it had started to zip finally, and has died. I can't tell, but the orp looks lavendar not blue.. so much for getting a third chick, looks like it'll be back down to 2... one swede and one orp.
Im right there with you. I had 12 viable on day 7 and looking good. A few days ago I had 2 crack from bacteria build up inside (lord that smell is horrible
sickbyc.gif
) Then I candled again and had 4 early quitters besides those 2. Now down to 6 with a Nov.29 hatch date. I think it was just toooo cold to be shipping eggs.

Im right there with you. I had 12 viable on day 7 and looking good. A few days ago I had 2 crack from bacteria build up inside (lord that smell is horrible
sickbyc.gif
) Then I candled again and had 4 early quitters besides those 2. Now down to 6 with a Nov.29 hatch date. I think it was just toooo cold to be shipping eggs.
yeah, I really wanted Orpingtons
sad.png
I only ordered the Swedes to have a full box of eggs.... so out of 6 that went to lock down 1 completely hatched on it's own, 1 swede pipped and got what I would assume shrink wrapped and the other I helped before that could happen..

Ok, Frederick really needs a new home... I'm sure I can house him in temporary area once I get a new rooster, but figured need to see about a new home for him... he is friendly and not very hen aggressive, he has 5 hens and none are missing saddle feathers.

Whoever takes him better be nice!! He's our mascot.

Once I take some cockerels to the farm, I might have a bachelor pen available to him, if no one has a place for him with some girls.

Did not get pics of the baby Orps today. I will try tomorrow. I can't believe how much they have grown from last week. The one positive cockerel is trying to crow but I am not sure if it means he's the only cockerel or just the dominant one.

I'm sorry to hear about everyone's bad hatch. On the up side, at least you have eggs to hatch. I've not had an orp egg in a month! Freeloaders.

x2. I can't remember the last egg I got other than the EE hen who has left maybe 2. I am buying eggs now but at least I get fresh from my husband's cousin.

Thanks for the welcome. I just moved here from Severville. Found a good home and bought it. Super area over that way and went to DandridgeN Morristown and all over there.
jumpy.gif
Hey I live in McMinn County... touches Meigs but I live on the far east side. Still... Not all that far

Terri, Tommy and I decided at the beginning (when we were getting our second batch of chickens) that we were never going to have bantams. We didn't want them. We didn't like them. Then lo and behold, if Tommy didn't bring your little boogers home. We didn't have anywhere to put them. Put them in a dog kennel, and Tommy went to work on making another coop. They came after Plymouth died, and I probably resented them a little. Tommy wouldn't have the coop finished until tomorrow so we put them in the rabbit run. They haven't free ranged since the "National Cuss Day" that Tommy had. Today I let them out. Tommy is off tomorrow and I thought if I had a difficult time putting them up, he could help me after dark when he got home. Well, Daisy traveled back into her dog kennel today. I picked her up and thought I would kick her back out - then I thought "hey, go take her photo while you have your hands on her." I brought her in and started taking photos. She is soooooo tiny. The longer I played with her, the more I liked her.

Then the most romantic thing happened.........Duke flipped out. He could hear her in the house and he came to the back door and started crowing over and over and over. She was sitting on my table when she saw him. She flipped out. She ran to the door and started throwing herself at the window.

Then they started walking back and forth by the window - both of them. He would crow, she would look, he would look and she would chirp. They love each other. It was the sweetest thing I had seen in a long time. I almost cried. When I took her out, he followed me. Duke loves her so much that he wouldn't stay away. Terri, these are my favorite chickens now. I love them.

Went to the Carpet City show in Dalton, GA this morning. I have never seen so many OEGB in one place before. There were over 1700 of them alone plus all other breeds. There were quite a few seramas (my thing) and there was serama tabletop judging. There were colors of the OE that I had not seen before. There was a color called gold quill that I thought was just beautiful. I was very tempted to buy a trio of the OE that was called Opal but with winter coming I don't have a place for them. My basement is already housing quite a few serama for the winter. Dalton is about an hour trip for me and I was very glad I went especially since I came home with a new flashy tiny serama cockerel.
Glad I didn't go then... I would have had too hard a time resisting buying a bunch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom