Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My little black silkie's eggs have started hatching. She is going to get the chick that made it thru the heat spike tomorrow.

@Teapot...if Morristown Milling does not have what you want they can usually get it for you. I haven't found anything I ask for that they where not able to either have or get.

@AJ..the food I formulated is doing great. I am using 50 lb laying pellets, 50 lb 5 grain pellets, 40 lb bag of wild bird feed, 10 lb BOSS, 25 lbs racehorse oats and using alfalfa blocks free choice. It has worked out great and I find empty feed pans every morning. I still supplement with fresh veggies, bananas, cooked pumpkin mixed with cooked oatmeal, and scrambled eggs. They get a bigger array of food then I do! I will say the feed you are using is great for horses.

*** If anyone has a Hovabator they would like to sell please PM me. Looking for a good used or a new one.***

no Isbars
hit.gif
I candled them and then cracked them open and 2 were unfertile and 4 had died from 2/3 days to 14/15 days. I have 24 Black Australorps, 24 RIR's and a few Coronation Sussex and Lavender orpingtons... oh yeah... I also have 24 buff brahma bantams from Dick Horstman. I should be run over with chicks come Saturday. I have 2 days to make some new brooders to hold all my chicks.

Anybody got any chicken waterer nipples that are causing issues in the cold weather? any freezing? I just ordered 20 yesterday and am going to put the waterers on my too do list.

Back to my top sentence...has anyone had any issues hatching isbar eggs?

Hey everyone, I am looking for a Black Marans Rooster (not Black Copper) anyone know anybody who might have one? I know most breeders usually have extra roos they are more than willing to sell off.

Our water nipples are working perfectly. The worst that has happened is we get a skim of frozen ice on the top of the bucket. But the rest of the bucket works fine. I just break up the ice and throw it out. And a whole lot less maintenance.

no Isbars
hit.gif
I candled them and then cracked them open and 2 were unfertile and 4 had died from 2/3 days to 14/15 days. I have 24 Black Australorps, 24 RIR's and a few Coronation Sussex and Lavender orpingtons... oh yeah... I also have 24 buff brahma bantams from Dick Horstman. I should be run over with chicks come Saturday. I have 2 days to make some new brooders to hold all my chicks.

Anybody got any chicken waterer nipples that are causing issues in the cold weather? any freezing? I just ordered 20 yesterday and am going to put the waterers on my too do list.

Back to my top sentence...has anyone had any issues hatching isbar eggs?
Sorry about your hatch.....my temp spiked to 102 during the night and I only had one egg hatch. It is frustrating.
I haven't had any real problems with my nipples so far. On the mornings when they have frozen a bit I just take a stick and tap them or push them with my finger. If the water freezes they will not produce water unless you knock a hole in the ice. I just keep a couple and take water out if it is really cold. But so far haven't had to do anything else.

Hey everyone! I've been reading this thread for hours. Let me re-introduce my self. My name is Vikki, and we finally moved to TN a year and a half ago. I have been lurking and learning for a long time, but I am now about ready to get my chickens! I thought the time would never come! I am interested in meeting people from this area, so I can "pick" your brains(sorry, couldn't help myself)! I am very interested in getting heritage breeds, with the intent of breeding them, down the road. I am not new to birds- I bred exotic birds for years, just new to chickens. So, my first question is...where can I find good quality birds, hopefully locally. I really don't think I want to order from a hatchery. I want to start with good birds to begin with...I am looking for: welsummers, Marans, Delawares, and ameraucanas. Any ideas as to where I can source these locally, would be greatly appreciated. My Fort Knox should hold about 15 birds...or a little more. So, if anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

frow.gif
Welcome back to our thread. I am sure these folks can teach you and lead you to some good birds. I feel very privileged to be a part of this thread with these awesome folks.

What sort of exotics do you have? I worked for a bird store for a few years and have raised some myself. I am owned by a Yellow-nape Amazon and a Goffin Cockatoo currently. I raised Cockatiels and Parakeets of different species for years.

Good Luck!
smile.png

Hey everyone! I've been reading this thread for hours. Let me re-introduce my self. My name is Vikki, and we finally moved to TN a year and a half ago. I have been lurking and learning for a long time, but I am now about ready to get my chickens! I thought the time would never come! I am interested in meeting people from this area, so I can "pick" your brains(sorry, couldn't help myself)! I am very interested in getting heritage breeds, with the intent of breeding them, down the road. I am not new to birds- I bred exotic birds for years, just new to chickens. So, my first question is...where can I find good quality birds, hopefully locally. I really don't think I want to order from a hatchery. I want to start with good birds to begin with...I am looking for: welsummers, Marans, Delawares, and ameraucanas. Any ideas as to where I can source these locally, would be greatly appreciated. My Fort Knox should hold about 15 birds...or a little more. So, if anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Welcome to East Tennessee and Welcome to our wonderful group of friends here on the East TN thread.

Hi and:welcome

Redbudchix--If you don't want hatchery chicks I think the best thing to do would be to go to all the poultry shows within your area and check the sale pens. Every show I've been to had birds for sale. You might also get the names of breeders entering birds in the show-though this is not always made public. Sometimes you just have to approach the people working with the birds and ask if they are selling or know anyone who is. I'm not sure exactly where you are located, but there is a chicken sale the first Saturday of each month in Madisonville, TN. I'm not sure if they have it in cold weather, but they should have it in the warmer weather. I only have bantam breeds--especially seramas. Welcome to the thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom