Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off to take some updated pics....wait till AJ sees the new piece of trash I picked up that is destined for the incubation room ;) I think I can make a bator out of just about anything
lau.gif
I know you can.

Future Bator (old wall oven)

Had not thought of an oven but it should work very well.

Have you ever thought about a small stand up freezer. (nice and square inside and not as heavy as a fridge.
Dad picked one up for $15 but I'm NOT allowed to convert it. It works.
lau.gif

Did you know that I have an old fridge that was made into an incubator.
It is for sale by the way.
gig.gif

Shhhhh: Just do not tell Terry. This one actually has an "OFF" switch.
hide.gif

Congrats on the Yummy Orps.

Sorry to hear about your others.
I suppose that is the reason I carry my .380 with me anytime I am even thinking going out towards the chickens.
I (just like ALL of us) have WAY TOO much money invested to be feeding wild animals fresh meat.

And I DO NOT mean to offend anyone with my personal opinions.
I'm w/ you both - & we have had a LARGE pack of coyotes w/in 100 ft of our house the 2 nights lately, they frightened our dogs, and I'm talking 85# Farm Dog that has run off random bears, if friends w/ the friendly bear & has actually shared in deer kills by our local mtn lion (who 2 winters ago brought its kills to our driveway every 3-5 nights, yes it was a tad un-nerving but the neighboorhood mtn lions apparently learned long ago that survival depends on NOT eatting the livestock, so it works weirdly enough. But the coyotes had our dog banging on the door to be let in!

Also, we apparently have wild boar in the area again, same dog showed up w/ a lg, piece of hog skin last wk : ( I hate having to pack a pistol just to walk around but 2 yrs ago my DH got attacked my a 400# hog that charged him and they rolled in mud/snow down into a gully , DH got cracked ribs and ruined new boots (hog tooth embeded broke off split the shoe sole if it had been me I'd not have survived so yes I completely get it. We can't afford to lose goats or chickens, that is our food! The coyotes are not welcome, and the dangerous wild hogs will make great pork if we get half a chance.

I'm very sorry your flock was lost! You certainly have my sympathies, and good luck on coyote hunt, btw I think TN Dept of Wildlife has a $10 per pelt bounty on those yr round, at least they used to so you might want to check into that, wouldn't likely cover your bird loss costs, but at least it is something.

Thanks everyone for the great advice! As always, the BYC people are great!! So what I got from the posts, is its best to get my sea legs at some shows? Then ask lots of questions....and then, check with you all before I buy from someone...right? I will have to go to the Knoxville shows...and that's still two hours for me. If anyone is going to these shows, maybe we can meet there and ill follow you around? I promise...I'm not a stalker! But, I wouldn't know a reputable from a non-reputable. I showed dogs for 15 years, so I really do understand the process of dealing with breeders, which is my preference anyway. So, I'll keep lurking, and keep,in touch. You all are great! Thanks? PS- I raised rare finches, and parrots, and raised a Yellow Naped amazon...had him for 28 years...I still miss him.

There is a closer one to you the second Sat of May and November. It is in Newport. A pretty big show. Almost 1000 birds entered last Nov. That would be about an hour from you. You need to talk to Lunar who is on this thread. You 2 have a lot in common. She use to show standard poodles.
It can get overwhelming when you first start but you will get there!

lau.gif
lau.gif

Where have I heard that before????????????

OH Ya, it was on here in, September, October, November and December.

Only time will tell if those incubators actually does have an "OFF" switch.
lau.gif

Terry, I hope you know I am only kidding, you know how much I love to aggravate you.
frow.gif

Well Mt. Smarty Pants.....incubators are OFF!
tongue.gif
These last 2 shipped eggs went DIS yesterday. I just was not meant to have eggs from this woman. So....not...gotta see who goes and who stays this spring. I have 3 adult silkie hens coming...an ameraucana and 2 dozen eggs so far for March. I hope to find Araucana eggs soon. It is not as much finding the eggs as it is making sure they are actual Araucanas.

Yes I know you love me AJ..back at ya!

I'm w/ you both - & we have had a LARGE pack of coyotes w/in 100 ft of our house the 2 nights lately, they frightened our dogs, and I'm talking 85# Farm Dog that has run off random bears, if friends w/ the friendly bear & has actually shared in deer kills by our local mtn lion (who 2 winters ago brought its kills to our driveway every 3-5 nights, yes it was a tad un-nerving but the neighboorhood mtn lions apparently learned long ago that survival depends on NOT eatting the livestock, so it works weirdly enough. But the coyotes had our dog banging on the door to be let in!

Also, we apparently have wild boar in the area again, same dog showed up w/ a lg, piece of hog skin last wk : ( I hate having to pack a pistol just to walk around but 2 yrs ago my DH got attacked my a 400# hog that charged him and they rolled in mud/snow down into a gully , DH got cracked ribs and ruined new boots (hog tooth embeded broke off split the shoe sole if it had been me I'd not have survived so yes I completely get it. We can't afford to lose goats or chickens, that is our food! The coyotes are not welcome, and the dangerous wild hogs will make great pork if we get half a chance.

I'm very sorry your flock was lost! You certainly have my sympathies, and good luck on coyote hunt, btw I think TN Dept of Wildlife has a $10 per pelt bounty on those yr round, at least they used to so you might want to check into that, wouldn't likely cover your bird loss costs, but at least it is something.
hmmm... an even better reason to kill the coyotes! I like your thinking!

Love the oven! I love recycling useless stuff to make is useful again. Hmm... now that I think about it, we have a fridge that doesn't work in our pole barn... maybe it can be converted.
There you all go again... enabling me
celebrate.gif

Off to take some updated pics....wait till AJ sees the new piece of trash I picked up that is destined for the incubation room ;) I think I can make a bator out of just about anything
lau.gif

You cease to amaze me with your innovation Rod. Actually the oven is going to be a great idea when you consider the ease of keeping temps consistent.

@TNBEARCHICK..I understand how it feels to see something you have put a lot of time and money into only to see it eaten. I still say the government should be responsible for cutting the amount of coyotes down to a bare minimal. THEY brought them here and released them for rabbit and vermin control. DUMB But who suffers?? Farmers do...they not only take down chickens but also goats and calves. It is also my opinion...if they are harming my animals...I take care of them. Also sorry if that offends anyone. Did you know mini donkeys will keep them away? Many wild animals in the area will not come into fields with horses in them because they do not hesitate to kick the heck out of it...even the young ones. BUT..a pack makes a big difference. I will shoot them all day for $10 a pelt. Would help me practice my skinning skills!

Last edited:
@bairo- the chicks look nice did. Did you get any pullets from the hatch?

@stang & tnchicknut- glad to see you back

@TNBEARCHICK- sorry about your loses. Its very disheartening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom