Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not bad. I pay 14.50 for 12 way w/ BOSS, 11.50 for Layena, 14.50 for Flock Raiser, and 9.99 for whole corn.

I had chickens for years before you, and got you started in learning to hatch and care for, but guess you forgot that. no one has to take me on my or should take anyone on their word, but use as references to look stuff up properly on their own. also ive seen you on some of my pure bred threads ect trying to show off or sell pure bred chickens that myself and others have pointed out that were not pure bred. so just because i can not have chickens in my current temp location doesnt mean i should again be closed off from an AREA thread, that you mostly discuss other breeds that are very far from chickens, a lot more so than pigeons.
I also if you read the post, wasnt meaning to advocate feeding raw meat to newbies or anyone who wouldnt ask an actual vet (which i worked for as a vet assistant for over three years), and if it seemed that way, i apologize, as hadnt intended that, but was meaning and stated that feeding "quality" raw diets if given or gotten (dogs that were stock killers), wont make an animal an incurable stock killer. also BARF diets and similar are routinely used and sold to for and by vets and top dog breeders (one being the only top pharoh dog shower and breeder in america, that i knew up north personally). actually youve discussed many situations of your on that your animals could have contracted or allowed spread of giardia, or other diseases, simply by improper water or other conditions, that would be as bad or worse than bad meat to a dog, that most eat poop and anything else they come across. Sorry to post publicly and disturb harmony, but most of you, and some of you who have tact and PMd me privately and discretely either for, or against, get it. also fifty times a day average, ive never counted more than twenty five or thirty, at most, and i was home disabled whole time, but mostly only three to five times a day, that works best when turning manually yourself (three always worked fine for me, especially when was working).

side note: you can if bator goes out, use pigeons to incubate chicken eggs brief or long term. pigeons being easy quieter cleaner keepers as bators in case, are easier to make small separate space/s for, especially if you only want or can keep a few rare expensive show foul and dont want to lose few precious eggs to power outages. They keep the BOPs attention off your chickens too (as when i got pigeons the BOPs stopped bothering all, but maybe peeps). I dont advocate keeping together as chickens can carry illnesses that may not show but might kill quick in pigeons, though pigeons only show and get hit harder by and halfway decently pet pigeons, and mostly even wild ones, dont transmit diseases the way some say, and certainly not as much as song birds or hookbills, . I have had pigeons, game hens and cocks down to chirping still "poults" (slang for indeterminable pullets and cockerels), and muscovy duck, all together with no trouble TEMPORARY, though then separated quickly from most grown cocks and hens, when hens got aggressive and roos started trying to mount or "cover" duckling and pigeon hens.

edited by staff
Ummm, Not.

So here is the deal....In the past I have almost felt sorry for you, frankly because it is painfully obvious that you have some issues. But enough is enough. Can you not take a hint? You are not welcome on this thread.
A personal attack using information that was formulated out of some fantasy in your head is just asinine. I have cross referenced every single post you have made or started and can easily confirm your statement above is completely made up in you own little twisted world. Those statements about Terry (just like most of what comes out of your mouth) are completely false.

I did find a different truth though. It seems that there are other instances of you being caught spouting crap, non-truths, and wrong information on other threads. I found you have been called out on those as well. Are you really that uninformed as to not know I can look up every post you have ever made? We all have you on "ignore" here and no one believes what you said about Terry......you really want to hang out here just so we can laugh at you? Seems a bit odd if you ask me.

I have a question again. I have heard the hens that have reached a year and older are not good to have. But was told last night that there is nothing wrong with 1 a year or older. Which is right. Also where do you all by your chicken feed? I live 30 minutes from any Co op or anything in any direction
There is nothing wrong with hens over a year old at all. Most hens will lay fairly well into their third year (if you are talking about laying ability alone) Of course commercial egg laying operations do in fact get rid of them at a year old......but that is something completely different than our situation of backyard chickens.

As far as feed goes...I would hit the closest TSC or Co-Op and buy enough to last a month or more to conserve my trips. It's fairly well known that I dislike soy in feed......but I usually advise (for convenience) on Purina at TSC. I prefer Flock Raiser before 20 weeks and then Flock Raiser and Layena mix starting at 20 weeks or when you see the first egg. My scratch is usually off the shelf with added ingredients depending on how my flock is doing. Those are just my opinions for folks that need the convenience of pre packaged feed. There are a few others here that could advise you on organic feed as well if you were leaning that way instead. There are other options of course but good co-ops and mills are far and few between. Where exactly are you located?

Last edited:
Bought a bag of chicken scratch today for 10.50 for a 50 pound bag. Thought it was a good price since the other places are 11 and higher. They had a bag of oyster shell crushed for 3.95 before tax. And laying mash for 13 after tax.

That is about what I pay for mine. I switched to a mom and pop layer... some Bible verse on the bag.... can't think of the name... something like producer something or nother... lol

So, has anyone had any luck deterring rats with peppermint oil?  I am going to go home and try it.  It really is annoying to have rats and I keep killing them and they keep having babies and eating my chicken food- which by the way we put up every night.  We now have some brave rats that come out in the day time to steal food.  My friend suggested I get peppermint oil and put it in a spray bottle with water and spray it all over the barn.  Apparently the rats cannot  stand the way it makes their nose tickle and they will go away.  
Has anyone had any results from breeding LF Orps with Bantam Orps? 

I haven't tried peppermint. Let me know how it works. Glad to know I am not that only one with a rat problem. Also Amy at Happymtnfarm (I can email info if needed) is starting a project mixing LF eng Orps with a Bantam Choc. Orp. Check out the Imported English thread, but be careful, folks can be a little uppity over there.

Near tazwell. I bought today from Johnson mill. I have only heard good things about it from everyone.
Johnson's does have really good feed.

What did you get?

When I was buying from them I was getting the JJ and the JJ Juicer.
Mixing them together myself at a 50-50 ratio.
There was some pellets in the JJ Juicer that I did not like.
It was 36 and 38% gluten protein. My chickens do not like gluten,
so to reduce the gluten I mixed it with the JJ.
Worked out pretty decent for me.

I however, wanted to get completely away from gluten so now I have Morristown Mill mix a special feed for me.

I will admit that for a pre bagged feed those are hard to top.

Also I was using their 16 and 22 layer. I mixed them also.
I have hens in the same pen that some liked the 16 while others preferred the 22.

Hope you enjoy Johnsons feed.
Also they are really nice people.

wee.gif
I found a home for my extra cockerels. I thought I was going to have to do some "drive by roostering" but it didn't come to that. I will be getting rid of some of my old hens come spring. I think I have found someone who will put them in their freezer.
fl.gif

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom