EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Go gently one by one and pluck in a direction that't not going to tear the skin.

-Kathy

It's just making the wound bleed again.... :(

If you pluck it you will disturb the blood clot! Wash it with some warm water soap, and then disinfectant with some disinfectant and then spread on it antibiotic ointment and cover it with some gauze and then cover it

Plucking is what is recommended in veterinary text books, and I have done this to several and have not had any issues with bleeding. Plucking the feathers will allow for proper cleansing of the wound.

-Kathy

So? Logick say if you have some loose pieces of skin, around the wound and you pluck them, the pooling motion will tare the clot, cousing bleeding.

I guess if you are really worried about causing rebleeding by plucking you could trim the feathers so that you have good acess to the wound and can still keep it clean. That may also be kinder to a frightened bird.

Good morning, y'all
frow.gif
frow.gif

I'm not really here; I'm really a figment of your early morning imaginations.
I'm actually in the blind hunting, or will be, hoping to see something other than the back of my eyelids.
BBL

Wow - that's impressive. What was the injury due to?
Nope - working on writing an exam. 

:plbb
Only long enough to say it's time for bed. Bye!!!!! :frow

-Ant Farm

She got in to the turkey pen and ended up stuck between a tree and the fencing. She couldn't get loose but did get her head stuck through the chicken wire where the rest of the chicken flock could peck her. They ripped the skin off down the back of her head, plucked all the feathers ask over her head, and damaged the muscle on her neck.

I have 4 cockerels I need to butcher this weekend. Three of them I have no problem with, but the fourth is the spitting image of his daddy. Part of me says keep him, in case I lose Tucker. On the other hand, keeping him makes no sense 'cause he's the result of a cross; no guarantee that he'll throw a look-alike.

Awww, we're doing a turkey today. How's Tucker doing?

Back
Top Bottom