EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

He sally. I hatch in styrofoam incubator but I also have something else I bought that is digital with fan. I use additional thermostats. The thing is that here in Florida we get cold at night and hot during the day. It affected my temperature. I ended up putting both bators in a closet to control its temp. Yet for two weeks it was crazy. Lol. I'll get the hang of it, I guess

He sally. I hatch in styrofoam incubator but I also have something else I bought that is digital with fan. I use additional thermostats. The thing is that here in Florida we get cold at night and hot during the day. It affected my temperature. I ended up putting both bators in a closet to control its temp. Yet for two weeks it was crazy. Lol. I'll get the hang of it, I guess
Hang in there. You will get there. Several people talk about it taking time to figure out both the incubator you have and your personal situation. Good luck! Go chickies :jumpy

Last edited:
FLY ISSUES anyone

I live in a hot, dry area that has almost a constant breeze blowing.  Flies usually aren't a big problem here, even in the backyard where my chicken coop is and where the dogs do their daily doooody.

All that changes whenever we get a bad rainstorm that keeps everything wet and soggy for several days.  Like clockwork 1-2 weeks after it stops raining there is an invasion of flies.

We have been battling them for the past week.  Killing dozens of them each day that manage to sneak into the house.  I finally had enough and made a couple "fly bottles", baited them with a chunk of squid I had leftover from a fishing trip, add a couple inches of water and put them out by the back porch, chicken coop and a couple other places in the yard.  3 days later this is what all the bottles look like:
newsyear011.jpg

newsyear026.jpg

Took the pictures of them, then emptied them out and I already have another inch of flies in there.  The only downfall of these fly bottles is if you keep them around to long and you used a really good (ie really stink) bait, the really start to smell after a week or so.  But it does the job of catchicng and killing thousands upon thousands of flies.

Cory

This kind of traps always made me wonder if it catches ONLY the fly that are around or it ACTUALLY ATTRACT flies from far away.

This kind of traps always made me wonder if it catches ONLY the fly that are around or it ACTUALLY ATTRACT flies from far away.

Another thought, left long enough the eggs turn into maggots and then flies. Still kills them. Without these traps the place is overrun with flies. Another thing I've done is to put a fly strip along side the trap. Observing their behavior I noticed they like to land nearby before going to the trap. This catches the ones that may not otherwise go in. These really cut down on the fly population here.

I dont have eggs anyways, I only get two a day and yesterday zippo from them. I need little wood eggs swear must be egg eating!

Anyone Whittle me baby serama eggs?
lau.gif
YOU? Have no eggs?

@ChickenCanoe Or anybody else. What is a goodd poultry catching net?

frow.gif
Hi everyone busy, sick animals,etc. I will try to catch up soon.
For close spaces I use a regular fishing net. A friend also gave me a large goose catch net that needs more room to maneuver. The handle broke in half before I got it but it's still functional. I need to put a new long handle on it. It's similar to a big fishing catch net.
I also have a professional type leg hook that works pretty well except I only use it on birds I'm going to butcher in case I cause a leg problem.

Banti I set some eggs, some are three weeks old so I doubt I will get anything from them, or be able to regulate humidity correct in such a mixed bunch, I put serama and polish in just for giggles
You're creating hatching issues before you start.

I don't get what makes up the turning mechanism or isn't it mechanized?

I think at some point when I find lowes buckets for cheap I will switch out the wood nest boxes, I hate trying to get the shavings out and clean them.

these are cool, take the fronts off and slip that stuff out and wipe clean.
I use one of those in a grow out coop in case they get to POL before I put them into a normal adult house.

Gosh yuns all so talkable tonight
th.gif
Quote:
Paddler will love reading that post of mineS muwahhahhahhaaa

I did like it. I'm from MO. Some parts of the state have outstandable grammar and creative wordsmiths.
th.gif

I also have a professional type leg hook that works pretty well except I only use it on birds I'm going to butcher in case I cause a leg problem.

I've considered one of them myself. How effective are they in daylight? I can't picture a spooked bird that doesn't want to be caught letting itself get hooked.

Back
Top Bottom