Egg ID

xcalibor67

Chirping
Apr 28, 2017
Can you identify this egg? lol..im starting to get a few eggs, and im playing "Guess who laid this egg". My EE egg came today as her 1st. since she's the only EE hen, that ones easy..My camera says its a lil green, but my eyes say its light blue.. The browns ive narrowed down to either a Wellsummer, or a Black copper Maran. I see a lil variance in shades, but i still think their not dark enough to be Marans?. Unless my speckled sussex has started? My other hens old enough to lay i have ruled out, maybe....Light Brahma, Black sexlink (star)..My daughter wants to add a CCTV cam inside the coop,lol.. Why

not, i already watch them via outside cam..

Attachments

• IMG_0650.JPG
    IMG_0650.JPG
    419.1 KB · Views: 6
Were the welsummers and marans hatchery sourced? How did you eluiminate the breeds you did? This shade of brown i have gotten from 1 of 3 hatchery welsummers, sex links, etc. Brahma and Sussex I've had have produced a lighter shade.

Got all of my chicks @ https://www.facebook.com/eggwell.farm/ a local NPIP farm. Maybe my sexlinks are laying... None of them are "Large" eggs, prolly a medium in size, but that may be due to "Just started laying"? Dont the copper Marans lay a dark chocolate egg? thanks.
Egg size for all breeds starts small.... over the course of several weeks size increases send frequency of lay regulates.
Marans should lay a dark egg, but in lines where quantity is valued over quality the color can become degraded to the point the eggs are indistinguishable from other brown laying breeds

Back
Top Bottom