Egg treats for week olds?

DrFarmersDrWife

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 2, 2014
Raymondville, TX
Hi everyone! I got my week olds yesterday and I desperately want to start taming them (aka spoiling). I know treats should be treats not food but I have some other questions.

Can I feed my babies a bit of these egg treats that my local pet store has? It's from the parrot supplies section. :)

Thanks!!

You want to look at it and see if it has added calcium like oyster shells. If it does then you don't want to give it to chicks. I have never seen that before so I am by no means an expert but it looks like it is meant for someone already laying eggs. Why not just cook up some scrambled eggs? Chickens of all sizes love them and it won't translate into egg eating. Remember when you start giving them something other then chick feed you need to supply chick grit so they can grind it up in their gizzard.

Sometimes you can find cheaper seeds in the bird isle that your girls will really like. The problem right now is that they are too young for some things. Too much calcium when young will harm their kidneys, but when they are near laying their bodies will turn it around and store it to make eggs. I'm sure when they are a little older they would love to try it. I have all late bloomer breeds (8-9 months before they start laying) so mine don't get added calcium until they are about 7 months old in anything. Many production breeds (feed store or hatchery chicks) start laying at 4 months old so when they start growing large combs and wattles you know they are close to laying and the added calcium won't harm them.

Back
Top Bottom