Eggtopsy: What happened to my egg? {Graphic Pictures}

I'm very interested in the whole hatching process... i read a lot of the posts and you guys talk about pipping and zipping.... :gigbut I really have no idea what you are talking about!!! I've got 16 eggs cooking under an EE right now (day 13) so, if anyone has an article that they know of that they think I should read-- could you please link it? Thanks!!

:frow howdy!
Pipping is when they make their first crack in the shell, before they make their way out. (actually there is an internal pip, when they break the membrane and breathe the air in the air cell. We don't normally see this part. Then the external pip is the shell break. They may rest after breaking the shell for a while, even up to 24 hours, before zipping. Zipping is what they do when they are ready to actually come out. They break a little spot, turn just enough to break another spot right beside the first break, and continue this (kinda like a manual can opener) until they make the full circle around the shell, then they push the cap off and kick out of the shell! Boom, a baby chick is hatched.

@Pyxis has several articles on beginner hatching, assisting hatching and one on broodies doing their part, so you may find a few of them educational and enjoyable!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/author/pyxis.130871/

Hey- so my day 14 is tomorrow, and I was going to candle again, but I checked on my broody hen this afternoon and she had kicked out 3 eggs into her nursery. I'm assuming she knows what she's doing and these arent viable? This is her first go at sitting on a clutch of eggs. Shall I toss or crack open - will it be really gory or cool and scientific??

Hey!
I’ve got one hen laying gorgeous, extra large eggs. And I haven’t been able to hatch any of them! All the chicks die before pipping, somewhere between day 16 and hatch. I just cracked this one open-notice the giant yolk! Its huge, maybe twice the size of a regular yolk from the store. I’m wondering if that might be part of my problem. (this chick died several days before hatch, I think, but is clearly fully covered by down.)

Attachments

• C0B0F815-7382-4F4A-9831-D7F62B125055.jpeg
    C0B0F815-7382-4F4A-9831-D7F62B125055.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 12
Hey- so my day 14 is tomorrow, and I was going to candle again, but I checked on my broody hen this afternoon and she had kicked out 3 eggs into her nursery. I'm assuming she knows what she's doing and these arent viable? This is her first go at sitting on a clutch of eggs. Shall I toss or crack open - will it be really gory or cool and scientific??

I didn't see this question. Normally a hen can sense the good and bad ones. I usually candle them first, then decide what to do. What happened with yours?

Hey!
I’ve got one hen laying gorgeous, extra large eggs. And I haven’t been able to hatch any of them! All the chicks die before pipping, somewhere between day 16 and hatch. I just cracked this one open-notice the giant yolk! Its huge, maybe twice the size of a regular yolk from the store. I’m wondering if that might be part of my problem. (this chick died several days before hatch, I think, but is clearly fully covered by down.)

Does look pretty large, but also appears a bit green? Green usually indicates some type of infection. What breed is the hen?

I didn't see this question. Normally a hen can sense the good and bad ones. I usually candle them first, then decide what to do. What happened with yours?

Does look pretty large, but also appears a bit green? Green usually indicates some type of infection. What breed is the hen?
She’s a Marans. Yes it looked a little green to me too. I thought perhaps due to the time since death maybe the blood and yolk were beginning to mix together. Didn’t stink at all.

She’s a Marans. Yes it looked a little green to me too. I thought perhaps due to the time since death maybe the blood and yolk were beginning to mix together. Didn’t stink at all.

Ah Marans can be difficult to hatch. I've only done 2 sets of them. Are you incubating dry? Those dark shells seem to do better with very low humidity.

Well, I ended up putting all 3 back under her, even though they had been dirtied by a broken egg in the nest AND after she kicked them out I just left them in the garage over night..before I second guessed her....(but I candled and thought I saw movement in one for sure, so put all 3 back)
My day 21 started yesterday at 2pm. So, technically Im at the end of day 21, heading into day 22 now.... one chick had "pipped" when i checked at 7am, that chick is now out of the shell and under momma. From what i can tell, none of the other 14 eggs have pipped yet, but i will know more by tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom