Eggtopsy: What happened to my egg? {Graphic Pictures}

Found an egg in my incubator. Had very prolapse/fleshy like piece hanging out of the pip of the egg. Took it outside and opened it. It was a fully formed chick, with its guts hanging out right below the crop. Some how the guts were sucked out of the pip of the egg.

Incubator: Janoel 8-48.
Temperature: 99.5F.
Humidity: About 70-75 percent
Number of eggs: 14 Duck and 24 Chickens
Hatch Date: 04/13/2018

Ducks started hatching the 11th, so I turned off the turner. I have 7 healthy ducklings and last I counted yesterday, 18 chicks, with more hatching.

30708803_10213628766285902_317333130383982592_n.jpg

Note the red fleshy part, this was outside the egg.
30713129_10213628767685937_7654154255783165952_n.jpg

IMG_3144.JPG

Found an egg in my incubator. Had very prolapse/fleshy like piece hanging out of the pip of the egg. Took it outside and opened it. It was a fully formed chick, with its guts hanging out right below the crop. Some how the guts were sucked out of the pip of the egg.

Incubator: Janoel 8-48.
Temperature: 99.5F.
Humidity: About 70-75 percent
Number of eggs: 14 Duck and 24 Chickens
Hatch Date: 04/13/2018

Ducks started hatching the 11th, so I turned off the turner. I have 7 healthy ducklings and last I counted yesterday, 18 chicks, with more hatching.

View attachment 1340842

Note the red fleshy part, this was outside the egg.
View attachment 1340843

View attachment 1340844

Could another hatchling have pecked at the pip hole, maybe? Or the chick pipped, then started its turn without breaking the shell more, and got stuck? :confused:

Could another hatchling have pecked at the pip hole, maybe? Or the chick pipped, then started its turn without breaking the shell more, and got stuck? :confused:

I have no idea. I found another like it last night. But out of 24 chicken eggs, I have 20 healthy babies.

EDIT: Here are the pics I took today. Started smelling really bad.

IMG_3152.JPG IMG_3153.JPG IMG_3155.JPG IMG_3156.JPG

Last edited:
I have 7 shipped hatching eggs under broody hens right now; 3 cochin eggs and 4 d'uccle eggs. I candled at day 11, and all but one of the d'uccles looked perfectly normal. (I use this Candling Progression post to reference if my eggs are looking normal/healthy.) The one d'uccle egg appeared to have not one but three large black spots (like an eye spot) in a crescent shape. I also could see no veining, and the air cell has a strange shape, possibly from shipping trauma. Since it wasn't clear like an undeveloped or barely developed egg I decided to leave it a few more days before deciding to pull it.

Today I candled again--day 15 development--and everyone looked normal except for that one. I was planning to pull it today if it looked the same as it did on day 11 (I've never had an unhatched egg explode in a nest before, but I've read too many horror stories of it happening, and now I'm paranoid). However, the egg does look different when I candled--just one big black spot now instead of three. Still no sign of veining though, and the dark area isn't as big as in the other eggs, which are mostly dark from being nearly filled up with chick. I think mostly it's the lack of veins that is making me uncertain, since I can still see some veining around the air cell in the other eggs.

Has anyone seen this before and found out what was going on (either by eggtopsy or the chick hatching)? Any help/advice on what to do with mine? :idunno I've never seen this phenomenon before so I'm not sure how to handle it. I'll feel horrible if I pull the egg now and find out it was a viable chick, but like I said, I'm also paranoid that it could explode or somehow contaminate the other eggs it's with if I leave it.

Helped a quail chick who had gotten stuck after an external pip earlier today. Her head was coated in a hard glue like substance which had prevented her from zipping. I cleaned her up as best I could and she has since hatched.
Decided I’d check on a few other viable eggs. I found 2 others that looked like they had a similar problem but had died before externally pipping.
Anyone know what caused that hard layer of gunk? How do I fix this next time?
2BFC41C8-0001-4351-B77F-6416FC1ADA93.jpeg
2BFC41C8-0001-4351-B77F-6416FC1ADA93.jpeg

Oh god I feel so sick looking at these pictures. Its like when the dog got pregnant...a dog from the pound that they didnt fix because the city went bankrupt. Never again. I guess Im lucky I never got pregnant cuz I dont have the stomach for this. I just came on this thread because today I am missing two eggs that were there this morning in an enclosed area and had not been moved. I wonder if she ate the entire egg or another chicken did. They have been there for twelve days. I had eleven eggs this morning and now there are nine..she is a leghorn. BTW..the two links at the top of the page do not work.

Off the subject...has anyone ever noticed??? I was a vegan for several years and a vegetarian for 30 yrs. I started eating two eggs a day for almost a week before I woke up smelling like stank. I thought the cat peed on my clothes I smelled so bad. I continued eating eggs for three more days and the stench was so gross I couldnt stand it. Usually I dont really smell and use Crystal deodorant which is a mineral deodorant. I stopped eating eggs and four days later the smell is gone. I know food makes you smell...I lived in Turkey and the spices there really make you stink...In India too Im sure. I rarely eat processed foods and no dairy or cheese or meat or fish of any kind. Has anyone else gone through this or heard of this? I am able to eat one egg every few days with no problem. Even garlic or onions dont do this.

This chick was peeping very weakly so I had decided to help it out. My thought it was too big and couldn't move to pip. I was so wrong. When I got the top off I noticed a pink something on it's head but it was tucked under it's wing so I really didn't see what it was till I got it out of the egg and moved it's head. It has no skull. I've never seen such and the chick was alive. It was very weak. This is one I wish I hadn't helped out. I culled it after the pictures. The entire top of it's head had no skull and the entire brain was exposed. As you can see it was open just above the eyes.

0925101208.jpg

By emvickrey at 2010-09-25
0925101210.jpg

By emvickrey at 2010-09-25

I want to see these pictures but I cant probably because the post is so old? I cant see alot of old pictures not sure why though.

Back
Top Bottom