EMERGENCY! Can I give Baytril and Sulfamethazine at the same time??

A few days ago I could get her to eat watermelon quite happily, and she even had a beakful of raw hamburger and some grapes. Now she's bending her head down a lot of the time when she's sitting and is less interested in food. I have to force feed everything. After syringing the baby bird food into her for a while, she did manage to show a little enthusiasm near the end.

All up today, I syringed around 40 mls of the bird food into her. I left some cooked rice and gravy with her. I'm hoping that tomorrow the Baytril will have 'kicked in' and I'll see some definite improvement.

Phoebe died this morning.
hit.gif

This morning after Phoebe died I noticed several suspicious looking poops. On examination
sickbyc.gif
I noticed lots of worms, including what looked to me like tapeworms! Edited to say the worm looking things I saw were in the poops of the other chickens, not hers (except for one I saw the day after I wormed her with albendazole 9 days ago)...hope that all makes sense?

Could this have been what Phoebe died of? Seriously? Oh, I feel SO guilty!!! I had just wormed her just over a week ago with albendazole (Thai version). Could it be she was just overloaded?

I'm about to worm everyone now with Thai version of Piperazine. The guy at the feed store said to only use this for chickens 16 weeks old and up. I have chicks aged 14 weeks, 9 weeks and 4 weeks old. Is it ok to give this to the chicks?

Last edited:
Angela I am so sorry for your loss. It is always so hard to lose a loved animal.

If you are seeing a lot of worms in the poop then the recommended plan of attack is to use piperazine first, followed by albendazole 10 days later. The logic behind this is that piperazine only gets the roundworms, whereas albendazole targets a whole range of worms. If a chicken has a very large worm load then paralysing them all in one go can either lead to a toxic overload from the poisons they produce when they die, or a blockage in the gut caused by a whole mass of paralysed / dead worms that the bird is unable to expel. (All of this is stuff I've learned from @Dawg53 - the resident BYC worming expert!)

I suppose that if you wormed with albendazole and she had a large worm load then it is possible that this caused her problems, although without a necropsy it will be impossible for you to know for sure. Don't be too hard on yourself about things. Even if this was the cause, you weren't to know. We all make mistakes with our flocks whilst thinking that we are acting in their best interest - the only thing you can do after something like that is treat it as a learning curve and try to make sure that you don't make the same mistake again.

The worming routine that I've found online is as follows:

Day 1 (roundworm only) Wazine (piperazine) 80-100mg/kg bodyweight

Days 11 - 18 (all main worm types) Valbazen (albendazole) 1.43mg/kg or flubendazole 6mg/kg daily for 7 days (no egg withdrawal required with either of these) or Safeguard / Panacur (fenbendazole) which requires a 7 day egg withdrawal.

I have wormed chicks aged 8 weeks and upwards using this method - just making certain that I weigh them in advance and stick to the mg/kg bodyweight dosage; I don't know if it's recommended or not, but so far they have all survived!

Angela I am so sorry for your loss. It is always so hard to lose a loved animal.

If you are seeing a lot of worms in the poop then the recommended plan of attack is to use piperazine first, followed by albendazole 10 days later. The logic behind this is that piperazine only gets the roundworms, whereas albendazole targets a whole range of worms. If a chicken has a very large worm load then paralysing them all in one go can either lead to a toxic overload from the poisons they produce when they die, or a blockage in the gut caused by a whole mass of paralysed / dead worms that the bird is unable to expel. (All of this is stuff I've learned from @Dawg53 - the resident BYC worming expert!)

I suppose that if you wormed with albendazole and she had a large worm load then it is possible that this caused her problems, although without a necropsy it will be impossible for you to know for sure. Don't be too hard on yourself about things. Even if this was the cause, you weren't to know. We all make mistakes with our flocks whilst thinking that we are acting in their best interest - the only thing you can do after something like that is treat it as a learning curve and try to make sure that you don't make the same mistake again.

The worming routine that I've found online is as follows:

Day 1 (roundworm only) Wazine (piperazine) 80-100mg/kg bodyweight

Days 11 - 18 (all main worm types) Valbazen (albendazole) 1.43mg/kg or flubendazole 6mg/kg daily for 7 days (no egg withdrawal required with either of these) or Safeguard / Panacur (fenbendazole) which requires a 7 day egg withdrawal.

I have wormed chicks aged 8 weeks and upwards using this method - just making certain that I weigh them in advance and stick to the mg/kg bodyweight dosage; I don't know if it's recommended or not, but so far they have all survived!

Wazine dosage is the same whether it's one chicken or 100 chickens, one ounce per one gallon of water.
First time worming should be done with valbazen since it slowly kills worms over several days. It also kills all known types of worms that chickens can get. Tapeworm, eyeworm and gapeworm would require different worming routine when using valbazen. Praziquantel would be best treating tapeworm.

I don't know where I got the info that you should use wazine first - what Dawg53 says about slowly killing over the 7 day treatment period makes perfect sense for first time worming. I shall update my notebook.

Thanks dawg - you always have the best information!
hugs.gif

I don't know where I got the info that you should use wazine first - what Dawg53 says about slowly killing over the 7 day treatment period makes perfect sense for first time worming. I shall update my notebook.

Thanks dawg - you always have the best information!
hugs.gif

You probably got it from me a long time ago. I used to use wazine first, until I found out that it acts as a flush getting rid of large roundworms. If there's alot of roundworms in the digestive tract, the wazine could cause a blockage which could kill a chicken. That's why I recommend valbazen first. The worms are slowly killed and digested over 3-5 days, not all at once like wazine.

Back
Top Bottom