Emergency!

circesfire

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013
Surprise, Arizona
So I got home from work today and one of my cream crested leg bars looked very off. She hadn't laid in a few days so suspecting she was egg bound I put her in a bath. She laid a huge egg, followed by another egg with no shell. She perked up a bit so I scrambled an egg for her and she ate most of that and some honeydew melon. Now she looks very sleepy. Is it just all the stress? What else can I do? They are fed good quality organic pellets and oyster shell. It is starting to get pretty hot here, could the heat exacerbate these problems? Is there anything I can do to help her in the future?

Well, occasionally, hens may lay a huge egg. This massive egg is most likely a double yolk, and the chances are 1/1000. Also, her second egg, without the shell, is usually not a worry. Was the shell-less egg still intact? If so, it shouldn't be a big worry. If your girly doesn't act or feel better, try taking her to a vet. I am sorry about your Cream Crested Legbar, hope she feels better!

Well, occasionally, hens may lay a huge egg. This massive egg is most likely a double yolk, and the chances are 1/1000. Also, her second egg, without the shell, is usually not a worry. Was the shell-less egg still intact? If so, it shouldn't be a big worry. If your girly doesn't act or feel better, try taking her to a vet. I am sorry about your Cream Crested Legbar, hope she feels better!
They egg wasn't intact, it was completely without a shell, like an egg you just cracked. But the yolk was intact and the white also came out as a whole blob, wasn't mixed up or looked damaged at all. I sure hope she is ok. She's a lovely bird

Well, was it held together? By the membrane blob you talked about? If not, the shell-less egg may have split when she layed it. Is she still acting funny? Hope she's going to get better

Can you send pictures of her eggs? Or are they not saved. Also, I'd love to see a picture of your Cream Crested Legbar. Hope she is ok

Thank you very much. I will get some pics of her and the monstrous egg she laid two days later. She seems back to her normal self even though she continues to lay massive eggs. Poor girl, must have huge egg genes.

Thank you very much. I will get some pics of her and the monstrous egg she laid two days later. She seems back to her normal self even though she continues to lay massive eggs. Poor girl, must have huge egg genes.
Tell her to stop dating those Jersey Giants. Seriously though, I certainly hope she's doing better.

Back
Top Bottom