Emergency

What are the temperatures? I know nothing about chickens, but I know ducks can overheat and have heat stroke.

For them, I would get them to where it's cooler, be sure they have plenty of fresh water and food. Hope a chicken person gets here to help soon.

@Eggcessive

I have a question my rooster has seemed to be sick maybe he just started crowing a short time ago he was getting better and better and all of a sudden he has stopped for 2 days he seems to have no energy if i go to pick him up he normally would run but he doeant make too much of an effort now his poop is like a runny white color and he just seems down im not sure if he is just loosing his feathers or if its just the heat or what any help would be aweaome

How old is he? If he is under 20 weeks, coccidiosis could be a problem. Symptoms are sleepyness, weakness, not eating, hunched posture, and runny poops with mucus or blood. Dehydration can be a problem causing weakness, especially if there are chickens or roosters keeping him from drinking. I would bring him inside, and feed him water with electrolytes and vitamins, such as SaveAChick, or give it with a dropper. If it seems like Coccidiosis, start some Corid in the water. Dosage is 1 1/2 tsp powder per gallon of water for 5 days.

I would like to thank everyone who reaponded and helped me with this ive given him sav a chic in the water and ge has picked some oyater shells today and is right back to his old ways chasing the hens ans crowing i really appreciate everything i love my chickens and hate to see one of them that way especially my roo thanks

Please help! I don't know what to do. Is this an egg stuck? It doesn't look like the pics I've seen online but I don't know what to do.... :-( This is a 21 week old Silver Laced Wyandotte. We just got back from a vaca ( 11days) and I think she was one if the ones that started laying while we were gone. We had 19 eggs when we got back - up to 3/day from 1/day when we left. She was in the nest box for an hour this morning. I kept going out to clean up the coop and she was still there sitting/standing. These are my first chickens so I wasn't sure if it was normal for them to sit/stand there so long. Anyway, about 4:00 I noticed her off by herself nodding off. So at 5:30, my husband came home and we went to check her out and found her sitting alone in the run while the others scampered about their large open pen area. I pulled on the fleshy piece sticking out but not very hard. We have brought her into the garage alone with a fan and some fresh water.

I can't tell from the pic but that's me. Can you touch it? Does it feel like a shell?

Best answer is to start a new thread with a subject line that better describes the problem. This thread was called emergency.

It could well be. I have ducks - and recently one was eggbound. A vet is best, we did very well by giving her Metacam, an anti-inflammatory, right away and for about ten days. After five days she passed it, and is doing well. We also had her on Bactrim.

Much of what needs to be done depends on how soon we realize what's going on. A few years ago the same duck had a prolapse due to a stuck soft egg, and that required surgery.

@nineplus: I can touch it. It is sortof like a bamboo shoot (like in Chinese food) in appearance. But it isn't fibrous like a bamboo shoot. very smooth looking... I gave it a little pull and a piece broke free in my fingers. It was a bit squishy ...sort of reminded me of a dense bit of flan (a very eggy hispanic dessert, in case you're not familiar ;) ).
We soaked her in a warm epson salt bath for 20 minutes and blew dry her wet feathers. She perked up in the bath and during the blow dry. She drank some H2o during her spa and in the crate afterwards, too. But she's not eating. She also squeezed out a little poo 2x in the crate. And it is darker than normal. She's asleep in a crate in the garage with a fan on her. (It is 80 and very humid here at 9:15pm)
@ Amiga: I don't think our vet tends to poultry. :-( But I plan to call her in the morning and ask her about the Metacam and see what she has to say. Not much can be done overnite. She is sleeping in what appears to be her normal way now...

We just lost our family favorite (a super friendly BO) to a hawk attack last week so I am afraid another loss so soon after may be pretty devastating for my son (who loves the chickens and is always out with them)... Praying she heals overnight! :fl

Back
Top Bottom