Empordanesa & Penedesenca - Who has them?

Love the pic!! I would LOVE one of these in my flock.
( And I also did photo shoots for all my chicks... did one each week just so I could look back on how much they DO change. So fun!!)
Wow!

That picture was from 5 years ago!

We have discussed this before--Why are they not more popular. I have read about someone in Arizona that installed an air conditioner in his coop so that he could keep his Marans alive in the heat--Silly when you can get Penedesencas! or empordanesa chickens.

The Partridge are very pretty too.

Most people like calm birds. I think that is the biggest reason they aren't more popular.

What isn't well known when people hear they're 'flighty', is that if they aren't closely confined, they get calm by the time they mature. If in small enclosures, they're very nervous.
Unless they're handled daily their whole life, they just won't become a bird you can walk up to and pick up without a struggle.
The plus side is that their wariness, aloofness and alertness makes them among the best birds to avoid daytime predation.

Most pet chicken people just will never be happy with them.

After over 30 breeds, they are by far my favorite. Probably for exactly the reason others don't like them.
Add to that, they're productive birds, dark eggs, occasional broodiness, unique comb and earlobe - to me makes for a winning combination.

Last edited:
Wow! This thread is so old! I just recently found out about the White Empordanesa breed. I am looking for someone that could either ship eggs or chicks. I hope someone is out there that still has and breeds them. This has been one of the hardest for me to track down!!! Thank you for an information!

Wow! This thread is so old! I just recently found out about the White Empordanesa breed. I am looking for someone that could either ship eggs or chicks. I hope someone is out there that still has and breeds them. This has been one of the hardest for me to track down!!! Thank you for an information!
I hope you find some!

Penedesenca might be easier to find than Empordanesa in the U.S. I found only 4 total U.S. breeders of rare Breda when I was on the hunt for Breda. Sometimes breeders phase out less popular rare breeds because customer sales demand is for a colorful egg basket rather than to preserve rare chicken breeds. Be diligent in your search and hopefully someone still has a U.S. breeding flock.

Penedesenca might be easier to find than Empordanesa in the U.S. I found only 4 total U.S. breeders of rare Breda when I was on the hunt for Breda. Sometimes breeders phase out less popular rare breeds because customer sales demand is for a colorful egg basket rather than to preserve rare chicken breeds. Be diligent in your search and hopefully someone still has a U.S. breeding flock.

Thank you for your reply. I am not giving up! I want this breed! Someone out there has them - I just know it! LOL!!! I have no clue why I want them so bad - they are just white chickens - LOL! But the breed sounds amazing to me and I guess the fact that I can't find them makes me want them even more!

Thank you for your reply. I am not giving up! I want this breed! Someone out there has them - I just know it! LOL!!! I have no clue why I want them so bad - they are just white chickens - LOL! But the breed sounds amazing to me and I guess the fact that I can't find them makes me want them even more!
That's part of the reason I became enamored with Penedesencas.

Back
Top Bottom