Emu pictures and stories.... post them here

You guys can deal with this, which I found while doing back-ups::
First Info on Emus

One: as much space as possible. It means clean glossy happy pets.
Two: fences are most important. Emus can scramble surprisingly high (usually while panicked), and injure themselves, particularly their legs. Fences up to six feet are the norm.
Three: if you aren’t in Australia, you need to determine if your birds will need shots, etc.
Four: food??
Five: Emus have a marked habit of swallowing small objects, particularly shiny things. Be aware of this from Day One.
Six: Myths about Temperament:
The emu belongs to a family (‘ratites’) that does include those aggressive birds, the ostrich and cassowary (and right here on BYC!). Moreover, there are certain situations, particularly an enclosed space, in which a big old emu could certainly injure you. Otherwise, you’ll see a guy on youtube chased around the yard, or a camera get pecked. Emus don’t attack people. They are curious, and may come up to you, but they aren’t dangerous, more like oversized ducklings.
Seven: you will provide a little shelter. The emus will largely ignore it. They are hardy, and can handle rain and snow.
Eight: emus like water, even to swim.
Nine: BYC readers have wide experience with mixing emus and other life-forms. Under certain circumstances, it just isn’t a problem. Under some others, it is.
Ten:

Well done, Jch. I am now pretty much retired. You guys take the Basic Info List, and make it your own. The original goal was to have it available for the many who used to ask.

se

This is odd footage, but it is, in my experience, unique: this seeems to be -- notwithstanding the fence -- a natural aggregation of birds, of which descriptions turn up in texts.

Greeeat footage, but it's surely not a 'wild' emu: you can here the birds at this sanctuary in the background. The claim about two year's of parenting is, I'm sure, incorrect: sometimes two; more often one.

Wow. At last. Footage of the much-storied machine-gun attacks on emus.

Last edited:
Hey, Formica. Yes. I think so.

And what comes next, I hope, is developing the area. There is a great deal you can do. For example, if there's any spare 'grey water' to redirect onto that land, you can keep little patches of 'fresh pick' going weeks after summer knocks down the rest. You can plant some bushes. You can experiment with self-sowing plants that your emu likes.

I am semi-retired from BYC, but I may be able to pop on occasionally.

Here is Felicity and her consort, Handsome Eddie, just a few weeks ago:

SE, Lake Muir, W.A.

I'm getting a female emu that's 3.5 years old she was hatched and a petting zoo emu she will live with my goats since she was raised with them n gets depressed if she doesn't live with them

Back
Top Bottom