Essential oils and chickens

Well I just got Teatree oil in my roosters mouth... So I'm going to adjust my treatment and mix a heavy amount of Teatree oil into some lanolin and make a nice paste... I'm going to treat the entire flock since it's cold the lanolin on the combs Will probably feel nice...

The balm turned out well. Good consistency. The EE roo has a gnarly pea comb, I brought him in and picked all the visible fungus off with q-tips dipped in iodine, then a put the balm on with q-tips and got into all the little nooks... Hope it feels better..

Last edited:
I found this thread last night in a frantic search for some sort of care for my hen. Came home to find her larynx and attached anatomy hanging out through a hole in her neck, as if she got caught on something.
As a vet tech for 15+ yrs, this was probably the most horrific thing I have seen, but thankfully I had some sort of supplies on hand (even if make-shift) for repair, as there is no one local I have found who offers avian care, to include chickens. I was able to get her put back together, so to say, and she made it through the night. I applied the lavender oil to her injury/suture site as suggested and immediately she began acting better. She has eaten and drank a little this morning, and even "talked" to us and my cat when he came to check on her. Still no idea as to what happened, the other three hens are just fine. Not out of the dark yet, but all the info that has been posted here has given me a bit of relief knowing that there are other options besides "wait and see".

Thanks for sharing!
So great to know!

I can tell you without hesitation that I've had essentials oils save 8 out of 10 hens with issues. And, I fully believe that had I know what to do with the other two, their outcome would've been the same.

Use those oils!
thumbsup.gif

I use melaleuca in a spray bottle about 4 oz. of water added to 10 drops of the oil, and spray around the entrances to my coop and lightly spray the pine shavings. Not aggressive. We haven't had any ticks and they are common in south Texas. Melaleuca is also known as tea tree oil.

http://www.essentiallymomma.com/chicken-blog

4074661_orig.jpg

Back
Top Bottom