Essential oils and chickens

I see this is an older post, but wanted to add to it. I have used essential oils for 20 years (certified massage therapist) and I have used many different oils with my chickens. When I use oregano oil ( I now use doterra oils, and have used young living in the past), I usually dilute it with some kind of oil, like fractionated coconut oil, or cooking oil, corn oil. I put the essential oils into the cooking oil and stir them together, then I pour it on their feed or scratch and stir it to mix it and spread it good. Sometimes the essential oils sit on top of water and the water doesn't dilute the heat that oregano has. So I use it always with oil. The other thing I sure of with using oregano oil with the chickens is that I always have some probiotics to follow up with. I was using a dry probiotic granules, but am now trying B.O.B Big Ole Bird probiotics. Oregano is really strong, so I always remember, less is more. Has anyone had that happen when you used oregano in water?

I have never used Tea Tree oil, because I had heard it is toxic to birds, but it seems as if people are having good results with it. I might have to rethink that and give it a try. I have tried a few oils and was really happy with the results.

I've had good luck with lavender for sun burn, when the roosters gave the hens bare backs...no more roosters lol!

I just wanted to add my 2 cents to the thread. :) I am really happy to see a post about the oils, they are so amazing.

So excited to see Young Living Essential Oils now has a Veterinary Advisory Council.
I'm sure I'll be keeping them hopping!
wink.png

https://www.youngliving.com/en_US/c...ail&utm_term=0_27b07010c5-458d3e77a2-56029657

I went to the sight and couldn't find any info on how to use the oils with animals. Looked like on the blog it all said to find a qualified medical person to help....there is barely anyone in the medical and veterinarian circles where I live that have even started using oils. Most of the questions on the YL blog were like that, or to google stuff. Kind frustrating. Oh well, it was a good try.

I have a chicken with a weeping eye. I was told to clean up the area with thieves blend while keeping it out of the chicken's eyes. So I would like to know how much to dilute it and if there are any other things folks might recommend. It has been weeping for a long time. I have added apple cider vinegar to their water but nothing yet.

Oooh, I don't think I'd use Thieves around the chicken's eyes - it's far to "hot" to sensitive skin.
I'd instead use diluted Purification (80:20 with a carrier oil), then follow up with diluted Frankincense (50:50 dilution). I'd think this could be done 2-3x/day.

I'd also give her a Frankincense (1-2 drops) and Epsom salt (1/4cup) bath, allowing her soak up the goodness for 15-20 minutes 1x/day for as long as needed.

If you wanted, you could also lightly spritz her food with Oregano oil (1 drop + 2 drops olive oil + water).

Good luck.

I am new to this site. I was searching lethargic behavior. I came across your post. I use only Young Living Essential oils. 100% therapeutic grade. The Animal Desk Reference guide book, great reference. I am currently diffusing thieves and purification(essential oil Blends) in my coop, if you do not have electricity you can use cotton balls, and disburse where the chickens will not eat the cotton balls. My suggestion is to start small, less is more. Some techniques used are: diffusing by water based diffusers, water misting with a feather spray, adding to there water and food. Even Avian Raindrop Technique. We as a family use Young Living Essential oils on an everyday basis. From family to farm. Human, Equine, Canine, Feline, Bovine and Avian. The Animal Desk Reference Book is great for supplement ideas as well. Always know that the essential oil you are using is 100% Therapeutic grade. Know the Seed to Seal process! Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

lifthiminsong. Can I get all these oils at the co-op? I live in the city.
Also, do I give the chicken a actual bath with epsom salt and frankincense? If so, how do I get her dry. I didn't know they would take a bath.
How much water for the spritz?
Signed, confused and naive City Boy newbie. ;-)

Therapeutic grade essential oils can only be bought through a distributor. The oils you find at the store, even a health store, are lesser grade and purity, having been distilled with high heat or chemicals. For that reason, using them is never assured and can actually bring harm to you or your animals. That's what all the "fuss" about oils as of late is about.

When I "bathe" my chickens, I put the oil and Epsom salt in the kitchen sink and fill it half way with warm water. Next, I put the girl in there. Sometimes they like it, sometimes they don't.....just be ready!
D.gif
If they don't like it, I keep my hands on them, holding them in the water (that is only barely covering their belly) until they settle down and get used to it. Usually, within just a minute of two even the most concerned chicken comes to like it as she adjusts to the water.
Once calm, I do usually repeatedly take a cloth and drench it to then drape it over the hen. All this does is allow the salt water and oil mix to cover more of their body. Sometimes a girl will even let me rub her head and face with the cloth.
After 15-20 minutes (after the oils and salts have fully entered the body, I take them out and wrap in a towel. Depending on the issue, I'll hold the chicken until dry (yes, I'm one of those chicken owners
tongue.png
) or simply quickly pat dry and place in her cage for further recovery time. They dry off naturally - just like when outside in the rain for a bit.

For the spritz, I'd probably use about 4oz.

Unfortunately, there's not a ton of info on using oils with chickens for many reason. Because of that, we oily folks are left to figure things out on our own. But, I'm glad to share what I've tried - both with success and failure - so we can learn together.
thumbsup.gif

Good luck!

BTW, if you want to get your hands on good oils, I'd be glad to help you. I hold a decent rank with Young Living, have a team of about 600 oilers under me, so absolutely LOVE sharing oils with others to keep the "good news" going. No pressure - just get lemme know. I'll help where I can.
Bless you!

Back
Top Bottom