Ethical dellima and we are perplexed about killing raccoons

I was setting traps every day but gave up after being confused as per what to do after cathing them.

I am not allowed to really release them in the park nor we are willing to kill. I guess, praying a lot that our newly built coop stayed protected by angles are my only
thoughts now. Howver, we did a lot to protect them. Hardware cloth n the floor, under the plywood and in the new section, I did not put hard ware cloth undernearth since we do not live
in a very rural area. Only problem we have is raccoons, I never seen a fox in our area. We do not live in a firm land.

Anyway, in the new addtion, I installed a plastic roof and the guy from WV told me that he does not think racccoom would bust though the rood. The older part of the coop has matching shinlges with the house and has plywood. I will try to activate electric fence tomorrow.

Here are some pictures of my coop with the pond. As you can see all netted with hardware cloths. The week old coop with gable roof has hardware cloth under the plywood
and on the floor. The new addtion, we did not put hardware cloth under the plywood but burried it 8" deep but forgot to bend it.

Here is a picture and please give me yoru comment. I put in a Craingslist ad for someone to get thism. I know this guy can easily remove about 10 raccoons since I caught 6 and releasted one
to our own back yard afer catching them. No, they are not sick but my neighbor feeds them and they do not fear himan. I was never attacked and they never attacked my Kois but went after the fish food and meal wordls all the time. One about 5 years ago fought with my cat and my cat got FiP. Therefore, I do ont let my cats out anymore

Duck house is right in front of this Koi pond

Very attractive setup. To avoid any questions that aren't of a pragmatic nature, look into adding Electricity to your defenses. Also examine your own home for any potential ways in (drain pipes near soffit vents, less than secure entrances to crawl space, etc).. Since you have someone nearby actually promoting the potential vermin and, as trap and release (unlike humane retirement from the target pool by pithing with lead) can be a cruel alternative, I'd think I'd put up effective electric fencing and avoid philosophy altogether.

In the old days, when raccoons/opossums were standard fare on the dinner table, in rural environments, these animals would steer clear of humans (those that survived to breed did). In our area, far more raccoons and opossums meet dreadful fates by being struck by cars or being torn apart by dogs, in one month, than I could quickly dispatch, by shooting, in three lifetimes.

As has been mentioned raccoons, that have become habituated to humans and their ways, can be very unpredictable in their behavior. Some years ago, in older houses, off the MU campus, students would return in the evenings and think they had been burglarized (Captain Crunch spread around, screen doors torn out, etc). The culprits were raccoons that had adjusted their schedules to go foraging between 2-4pm `humans gone, let's eat!'. Some bites were suffered, and rabies shots were occasionally required, by `tough guys' who tried to shoo the interlopers from their homes and were fanged during the `evictions'.

Last edited:
that place under the eave of the plastic, is it covered? If not, that is more than enough room for even the biggest raccoon to climb through; they wouldn't even have to squeeze.

{preamble}
You have a very peaceful and serene outlook on life. Your personality shows through in your backyard design and in the photos. Very nice! And I do sympathize with your dillema given your outlook on life.
{/preamble}

first the raccoon issue. I believe you do understand about the consequences of relocation. If not, please consider the following:
1. It becomes someone elses problem. And I've said this before, if you drop him off in my neck of the woods, you just handed your problem and inconvenience to me. I don't appreciate it when some stranger dump their problem on me and for me to take care of it. I think we all feel this way.
2. Racoons like most animals have territories. Resident raccoon will a problem of his own with an unwanted raccoon in his territory.
3. displaced raccoon is invading someone else's territory will be mercilessly attacked.
4. raccoon will return to his territory unless removed far far away.

There are several humane things to be done here.
1. you forgo your ducks and koi ponds and return the area into the natural habitat and leave the raccoon alone.
2. you can displace him by erecting barriers to keep him away from your ducks and koi. But you've also partially displaced the raccoon from his territory.
3. feeding him to satiate his desire will not stop the raccoon from attacking your koi nor your ducks.

Other considerations:
You brought into your life some koi and some duck. You have decided to take upon yourself the welfare of these creatures. You are feeding them housing them and protecting them. This aspect must be realized and appreciated fully and must be balanced out with the welfare of the raccoon.

Are you tipping the balance by allowing the raccoon to coexist with your charge, koi and ducks. And what happens if a conflict arises and your animals you brought into your life and whose welfare you've taken upon yourself to protect gets maimed or killed. How would you feel about it?

I can not decide your moral predicament.

Your coop:
If there are openings under the eve, raccoon will enter from there. otherwise it looks pretty good. Make sure latches to the door are locking. Simple barrel/bolt type will not do nor simple clasps. Raccoons like human have an opposable thumb and will open the door.

At the risk of being redundant; When you choose to keep poultry (or any livestock for that matter) you take on the responsibility of providing for their welfare and safety. Part of that responsibility may entail the elimination (ie. killing) of predators. In my opinion, if you are not willing to do what is necessary you have no business keeping livestock of any kind.

I am well aware that this sounds brutal, but than nature is what it is and all the good intentions in the world will not change that.

Relocating raccoons is illegal in many areas but I think it's a matter of local law. In many cases, if animal control picks up an animal like a raccoon, they kill it. Be careful handling them; you can get a nasty parasite just from touching them. It's even happened to a child who played where raccoons had been hanging out.

If you choose not to kill, the only other option where they are common, really, is keeping them fenced out, and that takes a very secure, strong pen.

unless you play with its feces you will not get the parasite I handle them daily (raccoons)

Very well written. I have to work on the electric fence. I had an electric fence in the back bordering our valley but I took it down since it was getting tangled while week whacking etc. It also got wrapped around weed whackers and it was a mess. This year we just mulched the entire valley ridge and brush not as heavy. I have all the plastic poles etc and all I have to do is to buy the wire since the old wire got cut out in bits and pieces.

I hope transformer still works. Yes I must do something.. in the mean time my venture continues finding a reasonable person that will remove my caught raccoon and deal with this unwanted predators.

well I was told that raccoon can't get through hardware cloth and it is made out of hardware cloth which was advised from this Back yard chicken.com members.

Back
Top Bottom