Farm dog?

abbygibson1212

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 29, 2014
Missouri
I currently live in town with my parents, and this summer we are moving out to the land we own, when we get out there, I am going to have my chickens, small dog, and cat, plus I'm getting a goat, moving my horse out there from my grandpas house, eventually getting a milk cow, and will probably have some guineas. What I need to know is what type of farm dog would be best to have, I want a Great Pyrenees but my mom doesn't (and even more than that I would like a Russian mountain dog but mom says no way), so I've made a list of other breeds of farm dogs to try and compromise with her, I would love any information, stories, pictures, personal experiences, etc. you can give me on these types of dogs. I'm also open to other breeds/mixed breeds if anyone has any good suggestions. They need to be good with all of these animals, me and my little sister, and hopefully somewhat protective.
Here is the list of what I like:
Great Pyrenees
Old english sheepdog
Bernese mountain dog
Bernedoodle
Sheepadoodle
Irish setter
Irish doodle
Golden retriever
Golden doodle
Golden irish
Red heeler
Collie
Corgi
Beagle
Shiba Inu
And just for fun, Afgan Hound
:)

The only dog I've had from the breeds you listed is an Irish Setter. Can we say CRAZY not to mention hyper, that dog was nuts. She barked (a lot), ran constantly, jumped fences, chased neighborhood kids, tore up anything she got her mouth on and would not hold still for 5 minutes. Beautiful looking dog but she was too much for us and we had to re-home her. She was about 2 yrs. old when we got her so maybe if you got one as a pup, that would be better.

That was just our experience with an Irish Setter, I'm sure there are plenty of well-behaved ones out there.

@NorthFLChick Maybe I should mark that breed off the list! After looking them up I've seen a lot of people say they're hyper. Probably not a good dog to have with my chickens

for protecting you animals, great Pyrenees dogs are the best. They are good with the family, and will be a great protection for all the animals. they friendly and just plain lovable. they will be happy living outside 24/7, and some are actually uncomfortable in the house. they will be most active at night if allowed, and will protect the whole property.
old english sheepdogs are herd dogs, and do pretty good with the animals. they will protect to some extent, but are not as good as a pyrenees.
golden retrievers are not good guard dogs, but are excellent family dogs. They have a large handful of problems as they get older, but will they will not protect much at all. They best they are good for is pet and deterrent (by deterrent i mean a dog that causes other animals to steer clear of the property because of the dog scent, but under attack they won't do anything).
heelers would make a good deterrent and herder, but most likely will not protect under attack, but each is different. tends to nip young kids sometimes, but can be easily trained. collies and corgis are similar.
beagles are hounds, and when they catch a scent, nothing will stop them. due to their small size, they are not good protection, but could be a deterrent. they like to dig, and are very hard to train, unlike the herding dogs.
shiba inu's are guard dogs, but i've never really seen them used as farm dogs. they are generally kind of weak to withstand weather all the time, and i have heard of them having problems with aggression. never owned or worked with them.
afgan hounds are hunters and have a high prey drive. most would be extremely hard to train not to eat the animals, and even if you did i would never trust them out there alone. beautiful dogs, but very stubborn and loves to chase/kill moving things. i've heard of more than 1 cat being eaten...chickens would be dead XP

Why does your mom not want a pyrenees? they are good dogs if you are up to having a full blown working livestock guardian.

@NorthFLChick Maybe I should mark that breed off the list! After looking them up I've seen a lot of people say they're hyper. Probably not a good dog to have with my chickens

It's good you're checking into the traits of various breeds and not picking a dog randomly or by looks alone. I wouldn't have wanted the dog we had anywhere close to our other animals, she would have made nervous wrecks out of all of them, lol.

Good luck finding the right dog for you!

@cityfarmer12 She thinks it will cost too much to feed a Great Pyrenees.
Old english sheepdog would be my second choice, since they're not quite as good as a Great Pyrenees but still pretty good, although I don't know if they're any smaller than a pyrenees

German Shepards.

Love these dogs.They can get big,but usually females are smaller.I own a 8 or 9 month old dog who is OVERLY protective and follows me EVERYWHERE.And when I leave her,she barks really loud.Huge dog and will protect chickens,but usually you must teach them.They have a high prey drive,so teaching them is good.

German shepards and Anatolies are great!

Keep in mind that the hounds, setters and retrievers were developed to find, chase and catch animals - not the best quality in a farm dog
wink.png
I had Irish Wolfhounds on the farm as a kid, and all they wanted to do was eat cats and chase cows. The dogs weren't ever able to run free on the farm. An Afghan Hound would have similar instincts.
If it were me, I'd look at petfinder.com or the rescue groups for the breeds under consideration and see who's out there looking for a home. It's nice to see the individual dog and have a better idea of its temperament rather than to pick a breed and then try to choose a puppy, hoping it grows into what you want.
Also put a lot of thought into how much care you can give to the dog - how much grooming does it need, how much time and attention will be required, etc. Sounds like you'll have your hands full with all the other critters on the farm! An Old English Sheepdog or Collie will need frequent grooming.
Finally, remember that it's a long term commitment, and the younger the animal is the longer the commitment. You wouldn't want to get a puppy if you'll be leaving for college in a couple years and won't be able to take it with you, but there are plenty of adult dogs out there needing homes and that might be just the ticket.

@LoveThemBirds I do think German shepherd a pretty, and they're very loveable and protective, but I've had 2 in the past, and I know that they are not the dog for me. They were very high energy, one ate the siding off the house and dug holes, and the other one chewed anything and EVERYTHING, played rough with our small dogs, jumped, dug holes, would pull me down the sidewalk when I walked him, and killed one of my chickens and injured another (that was the last straw for him).
Trying to train them was disastrous and exasperating.
So I don't think I would ever want another one, especially after the chicken incident!

@mayble I graduated high school last year, and I'm not going to college, im going to farm, that's my passion (I hope to have meat goats someday) so I'm not going anywhere and I'll need a farm dog for a long time
1f601.png

And as for grooming, that kind of stuff is not a problem

Back
Top Bottom