Faverolles Thread

Hi
smile.png
I just got really confused by a chicken colour calculator I played with. It said that my faverolles x my GLWyandotte would create a black based chick. I thought that these yellow ones would be white hens, but that was impossible with my hens. So I thought well maybe they're blue based as that could be possible with the chicks 5 toes and my faverolles.
Gold laced Wyandotte x salmon Faverolles will result in partially laced chicks, black patterned red incomplete laced pullets and black patterned yellow/golden incomplete laced cockerels.

Gold laced Wyandotte x salmon Faverolles will result in partially laced chicks, black patterned red incomplete laced pullets and black patterned yellow/golden incomplete laced cockerels.

It appears more bearded than the other chicks.

I thought that was the case with the black chicks. But this chick has five toes. I only have 4 hens with 5 toes.

1 Salmon Faverolles
2 Buff Silkies
1 Black Silkie (has brown)

If not Faverolles, could the Silkies be the Mum? I thought they would only produce black based chicks too?

Thanks for all the info everyone :)

What do you mean black based chicks? Are you referring to the "black patterned" part of the expected outcome? Black patterned just means lacing like you would find on a gold/silver laced wyadotte, not that the chicks will be black.

I doubt one of the silkies is a parent. No crest, and no hint of dark skin.

Last edited:
What do you mean black based chicks? Are you referring to the "black patterned" part of the expected outcome? Black patterned just means lacing like you would find on a gold/silver laced wyadotte, not that the chicks will be black.

I doubt one of the silkies is a parent. No crest, and no hint of dark skin.

By black based I guess I mean a chicken that's mostly black. Like how wyandotte chicks hatch, as little black chicks.

By black based I guess I mean a chicken that's mostly black. Like how wyandotte chicks hatch, as little black chicks.
Laced wyandotte chicks aren't black. They are different shades of brown with stripes down the back. Similar to the one you have but darker.

900x900px-LL-98019f8a_IMG_5379.jpeg

Last edited:
Quote: I plan on hatching all of the first eggs from my white project pen, but I am sure I will have some to spare at some point. Mine haven't even thought of starting to lay yet....so it might be a few "minutes". You can pm me or email me through my website, just send me an email with a good return email address.

www.littlepatchofweeds.com

Laced wyandotte chicks aren't black. They are different shades of brown with stripes down the back. Similar to the one you have but darker.
900x900px-LL-98019f8a_IMG_5379.jpeg
Hmmm, I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about lol... Still confused haha. So do you think my chick pictured above is a Faverolles x GLWyandotte? It can't be a Silkie, and Fav is the only other chook with 5 toes?

Quote:

The pattern of the feathers, and the body of the bird on which the feathers exist, can be two different things. The genes for the toes may not necessarily be connected to the feather pattern.

Genetics can be a wonderful world of discovery for some, like Keesmom, or a morass of dark confusion, as it is for people like me. ;)

Try and get a copy of "21st Century Poultry Breeding" by Grant Brereton. It's the first book that made me feel like I might actually get all this someday. Until I do, I'm sticking with one color, and concentrating on type.

Hmmm, I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about lol... Still confused haha. So do you think my chick pictured above is a Faverolles x GLWyandotte? It can't be a Silkie, and Fav is the only other chook with 5 toes?

It is the most likely parentage. :) The 5 toes is pretty dominant and with most silkie crosses I have seen a partial dome/topknot as well as dark skin.
The chick is also nice and stocky like both breeds. It should turn out to be a nice and stocky little birdie.

I plan on hatching all of the first eggs from my white project pen, but I am sure I will have some to spare at some point. Mine haven't even thought of starting to lay yet....so it might be a few "minutes". You can pm me or email me through my website, just send me an email with a good return email address.

www.littlepatchofweeds.com

Thank you. I went ahead and sent you an email from your website. It was easier with my computer having issues. I plan to keep hatching through July so hopefully I can get everything I need in and hatched by then.
Hopefully 2016 starts off with plenty off eggs and the start of my whites popping up!

Back
Top Bottom