Faverolles Thread

Predominantly black, and some likely with red leakage.
I have a 50/50 male that was used on black hens, his first boys had leakage, daughters appeared full black. bred daughters to full blue boy and had full black and blue offspring but not mature enough to know about leakage which intensifies with age…. On Facebook it was mentioned that should one do this to not breed the Salmon offspring back into the Salmon line as it would contaminate your line. Genes have a way of coming back for generations.

Starting to see some cracking and discoloration
1f613.png

On Facebook it was mentioned that should one do this to not breed the Salmon offspring back into the Salmon line as it would contaminate your line. Genes have a way of coming back for generations.

For many, many generations. I would post examples but I am away.

Whether or not it matters will depend on what the goal of the cross is.

Thank you for these responses! I was wondering only because we have 2 salmon hens, and a possible black cockerel. I'm not at all particular about the color since our main aim is good layers, id be happy with pink polka dots if need be!
263a.png

From what little I know of genetics, the less inbred the animal the healthier it will be; so I thought crossing a salmon with a totally different lineage might make the mutts hardier!

I've also been wondering if bantams lay as well as LF? (Smaller eggs of course, but as often?)

I've also been wondering if bantams lay as well as LF? (Smaller eggs of course, but as often?)
Depends on the line of bantams. Some of my bantams have been my very best layers. My black / blue bantams I used to have laid the most eggs of all my sizes / varieties I've ever had, but my buff bantams lay almost a large egg on the egg scale.

I'm new to faverolles and I have 7 little roos. They are still young. I only want to keep 2. My question is what should I be looking for. The colors are just all over the place. And I'm just not sure. Thanks

If they are young, don't even consider color yet. You won't know how their color will turn out until they are at LEAST 8-10 month old. Never cull for color before then, unless you absolutely have to due to grow out space. Pics would help us help you.

I'll let you know anything I hear! From what I understand her trip is still several months away. She's gone through all the paperwork to bring over both chicks and eggs

So she is saying that she's doing paperwork now? Last I read anything about it, she was smuggling them illegally. Maybe she blocked those of us that called her on it, because I haven't seen anything from her since then.

Back
Top Bottom