Faverolles Thread

Just an update on my salmon faverole x partridge plymouth rock, the cockerels and pullets take after both parents for identifying sex. The females have darker heads (like the plymouth rock) and lighter chests like the faveroles. Cockerels have a lighter head (again like the plymouth rock) and dark chest feathers like the faveroles. All have five toes and the pullets seem to be the ones with muffs and leg feathers.

Sorry for posting here but would any of you be able to tell me where I might obtain really nice or show quality large salmon Faverolles?
Anything from eggs to adults is fine!
I don't mind having them shipped, either.
I really want to start showing them. (Maybe after this Avian Flu threat dies down, that is!)
I just have no idea where to start! I googled and all I can find is hatchery stock...

Sorry for posting here but would any of you be able to tell me where I might obtain really nice or show quality large salmon Faverolles?
I really want to start showing them. (Maybe after this Avian Flu threat dies down, that is!)
I just have no idea where to start! I googled and all I can find is hatchery stock...

Try looking up Cloverleaf Farm, in Utah.

A couple pics of my mixes now. Cockerels have light faces and dark chests and pullets are all a cinnamon / salmon color with dark areas on their eyes and light chests.

Last edited:

Cloverleaf Farm is great for show bred Favorelles.

Breeding question for you more experienced in Faverolles than me :) I have four LF pullets and a cockerel that I hatched from SQ eggs from a breeder in NV. All are of great type and structure, but a couple of the pullets have a smudgy beard and the cockerel's tail set isn't what I really want, but he had the best overall body type of the ones in the hatch so I kept him. I am currently working on coloring and tail set since the rest of the barn is pretty well built :)

Just hatched my first batch from them and have a couple with only four toes on one foot. Do these necessarily have to be culled from my breeding program, or can they produce offspring with five toes on both feet?
Thanks!

Breeding question for you more experienced in Faverolles than me :) I have four LF pullets and a cockerel that I hatched from SQ eggs from a breeder in NV. All are of great type and structure, but a couple of the pullets have a smudgy beard and the cockerel's tail set isn't what I really want, but he had the best overall body type of the ones in the hatch so I kept him. I am currently working on coloring and tail set since the rest of the barn is pretty well built :)

Just hatched my first batch from them and have a couple with only four toes on one foot. Do these necessarily have to be culled from my breeding program, or can they produce offspring with five toes on both feet?
Thanks!
Realistically, if you are striving for the SOP, or a certain look or…... its best to breed from the best to your very best, even if that comes down to one hen and one Rooster. Show quality birds don't always reproduce themselves…..it all depends on what is behind them, and are they show quality because they won with 2 birds in show or a dozen…...That helps with the consistancy of Your flock. So with that being said, Faverolles really take about a year and half to really show their stuff especially boys. When you grow out your chicks, band the ones rejected for the obvious, 4 toes, webby or mis positioned toes, split wing,,,,,as they become older, substance and depth,,,,,tail angle, wattles & comb, body conformation is easier to define, color is last unless really bad as it will often change after molting. I would * only breed from a 4 toe *if* it was the best of anything else i had in the conformation department or something else i hoped for that nobody else had.

Realistically, if you are striving for the SOP, or a certain look or…... its best to breed from the best to your very best, even if that comes down to one hen and one Rooster. Show quality birds don't always reproduce themselves…..it all depends on what is behind them, and are  they show quality because they won with 2 birds in show or a dozen…...That helps with the consistancy of Your flock.  So with that being said, Faverolles really take about a year and half to really show their stuff especially boys. When you grow out your chicks, band the ones rejected for the obvious, 4 toes, webby or mis positioned toes, split wing,,,,,as they become older, substance and depth,,,,,tail angle, wattles & comb, body conformation is easier to define, color is last unless really bad as it will often change after molting. I would * only breed from a 4 toe *if* it was the best of anything else i had in the conformation department or something else i hoped for that nobody else had. 

Thanks so much. This was a test hatch for fertility and to see if I had chosen the best cockerel to give me the improvements I'm looking for. I figured that the 4 toe was something that would pop up on occasion, but didn't know if it was more of a fluke that happens from the unknown genetics floating around or if it is a consistently passed down trait.

I kept the pullets I did because of how well their type conforms to the SOP. The one with the most smudge on her beard is the best in every other area. I'm hoping some of the smudge will molt out. If not, I've got a very sound barn with a smudgy paint job :)

Heavy culling went into the cockerels. I culled for comb points and toes first, then for body type. Should that order be different?

eta: These birds are still very young, so I'm holding onto several to check body type after first molt before deciding what to do with them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom