Faverolles Thread

Just out of curiosity are faverolles a highly broody breed? I have had three hens try to go broody in the past 4 weeks I let one hatch a few eggs for me and the others I had to break it quick. Is that common for this breed?

In my experience, 50%, that is 1 of my faves went broody, both of my speckled susex hens went broody, my chante is always broody, and a one of five cuckoo marans went did the same... my chicken encyclopedia does state faves tend toward broodiness.

From "The Chicken Encyclopedia" copy right 2012 Storey Publishing by Gail Damerow, author of "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens"

In my experience, 50%, that is 1 of my faves went broody, both of my speckled susex hens went broody, my chante is always broody, and a one of five cuckoo marans went did the same... my chicken encyclopedia does state faves tend toward broodiness.

From "The Chicken Encyclopedia" copy right 2012 Storey Publishing by Gail Damerow, author of "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens"

Well that explains a lot!!!!! Thank goodness I have an all galvanized dog cage so when they get broody they go in the broody breaker!

Just out of curiosity are faverolles a highly broody breed? I have had three hens try to go broody in the past 4 weeks I let one hatch a few eggs for me and the others I had to break it quick. Is that common for this breed?

It depends on the line. Mine do not go broody at all.

Back
Top Bottom