Favorite Hatchery for CX?

Alabama Jack

Songster
5 Years
Oct 26, 2014
Huntsville, Alabama
We've been buying from Meyer Hatchery for two years now (240 birds per year). We've had pretty good luck, but wanted to see if there are better or cheaper hatcherys for Cornish x.

Our meat birds from Welp Hatchery had a lot of problems, and the ones that survived to butchering were much smaller than others we have butchered from Cackle Hatchery. The Cackle broilers were huge and we only lost 2 during the 6 weeks.

I got meat birds form Meyers last year, and I was impressed enough to order more this year. We had no losses start to finish. I've heard good things about Cackle, and they'll vaccinate for Mareks on request.

We always went with Meyer when we were running Cornish x, because they had a cheaper price and a sexed option (we always got the males). Have had good batches of layers from Cackle too.

For all we know, most of the home-scale hatcheries are probably getting all their cornish x drop shipped by the several corporate factory hatcheries in operation that produce 99% of all the chicken sold in the US. It's possible they could all be coming from the same "partner" hatchery in fact.

We recently switched over from Meyer to a private hatchery that hatches their own meat bird breed - it's been a game changer. Highly recommend searching one of these out.

Last edited:
I just got my meat birds that were in transit a little over 3 days. Poor things, 3 were doa and 2 more might not make it. All were in bad shape and it's taken me 2 hours of warm sugar water and heat to get them perked up. From Welp, first time I ordered from them because they had a couple of breeds I couldn't get from Cackle. I have never had any issues with Cackle, 2 day shipment,and they are very good at emailing and calling. With Welp I never heard a word then last Tuesday I was FINALLY able to talk to someone to see if they were shipped and when. My local feed store always used Welp until this year. I think I know why now.

I have not raised CX but I place my first order for some today! I'm in north Alabama and I decided to order from Vally Farms Hatchery. They are located in Muscle Sholes. I ordered egg layers from them about 5 weeks ago and everyone arrived alive. They all have survived and they actually sent me 3 extra! I figured I'd give them a try because they are close to me.

I just used Meyer for the first time this March. 25 jumbo Cornish. One was DOA and I was refunded. The others have thrived (knock on wood), and that's a pretty good rate so far. I can't speak to the others mentioned but I didn't get that good a mortality rate from mcmurry and definitely not my farm store.

Back
Top Bottom