Favorite vegetable varities

Pole beans: Fortex. Cucumber: Suyo long. Cherry tomato: Sun gold. Winter squash: Orange hokkaido (otherwise known as Red Kuri) I think that you'll find that favorite varieties are specific to geographic area. An important factor, is disease resistance. One of my favorite tomatoes is Rutgers. I like to save my own seed. Choose OP seeds often for that reason, but sometimes a hybrid is worth it if it has extra disease resistance, or if it matures earlier, or has other characteristics not found in common OP varieties. I have a nice 22# orange buttercup that is a result of some of my squash plants hybridizing.

Last edited:
lol--LG, I"ll be sure to get the red kuri in this year!!!

Tomato-- yellow pear. Cute shape!! Very vigorous plant, grows HUGE and more tomatos than my kids could eat. These never made it into my house to get into a salad.However, My mother grew these and they do look novel in a salad; a contrasting color to the red tomatos and the green greens!!

Winter squash: Australian Butter, Galeaux du Eysines, Black Futsu, Waltham Butternut and Blue Hubbard

Summer squash: Lungo Bianco zucchini, Bennings Green Tint Scallop (all scallop varieties actually
droolin.gif
)

Tomatoes: Striped Roman, Red Cherry, Mini Orange

Corn: I actually prefer Heirloom corn, it's tougher and tastier and more dense, less watery.

Sweet Peppers: Sweet Chocolate!

Hot Peppers: Hungarian Hot Wax (does well in my area and not too spicy)

Tomatoes:

1: Cherokee Purple

2: Great White

I want to talk about Great White because I never see or hear about it anywhere, even though it's a great heirloom tomato. First of all its a monster! It grows twice as fast as all the other tomatoes, heirloom or hybrid, that I or my neighbor grows. It gets flowers around the same time, but at twice the height. It does best in cages or it will break a stake. Even in short New England summers it reaches well over six feet high!

The fruits are white, but can turn more-or-less yellow if you have certain minerals in your soil! They are huge and you can only hold one in each hand. On top of that they're delicious. I like them cut into thick slices (not sandwich slices, but slices like how you'd cut an apple) and in salads. They're very juicy and good. Can't say enough about them! They do need water though and they tend to do better in the shade. Otherwise the heat gets to them.

For lettuce, royal oak and red oakleaf did really well as far as growing went but the wild animals ate most of it and the rest I didn't care for properly so they bolted. But I think they're good because despite being eaten to stubs four times, they grew back quickly each time.
(Edited for silly spelling mistake!)

Last edited:
Great white sounds GREAT!!! Hopefully it grows in 101 degree Texas, where did you get your seeds? I'd love to get that strain!

I've been getting plants from agway the last two years since I can't find any seeds anywhere! I'll look around online and see if I can find any seeds. I'll try to post tonight or tomorrow what I find, okay? Gonna check some heirloom seed companies...

Found some websites. You can see from the pictures the difference in color, depending on soil. Some are snow white others are lemon yellow.

http://www.anniesheirloomseeds.com/great-white-tomato-organic/

http://www.totallytomato.com/dp.asp?pID=00323

http://heirloomseeds.com/great-white-tomato.html

This last one has good reviews, but I wouldn't recommend buying seeds from them:

http://www.rareseeds.com/great-white/

If you want to order but aren't sure where to get them from- when I worked on an organic farm we got all (hundreds!) of our tomatoes from Totally Tomatoes and we had extremely good germination/survival rate. Almost all the seeds sprouted and hardly any of them ever died. Totally Tomatoes is known for being reliable so that's who I'd go with personally!

Also some of the reviews compare Great White to fruity taste like pineapple or citrus?? Apparently a lot of people think so, but I didn't. I don't really know how to describe their taste, but they were dense and juicy. If you've ever tried the Cherokee Purple I mentioned above, they taste similar.

Back
Top Bottom