FEB28 CENTRAL FL Raising Poultry-Law Change Meeting BRING UR POULTRY!!

I am interested to know what happened to the issue of the code enforcement person that stuck the business card on your door. Are there any loopholes? Can you have chickens in orlando City limits?

How about if the chickens are housed inside? garage? Anyone knows??

Thanks!!!

Hey there,

Well first off we did make a great standout for all those people wanting to the law to change even coming out on the orlando sentinel but since these lawmakers and authorities do not care at all what we care about things are the same. I still thank the many people who were involved in the meeting and in this great move that didnt even belong to this forum which was pretty amusing knowing the many people that were from FL here in the BYC forum that didnt even care or try to help, but what can you do? i am just happy people got the awarness they needed so keep on giving awarness if you can!

One thing for sure is if you can keep them in your garage do so, I know many people who do this and have....I even did it for about three months. I also know of people who do this up north when it becomes to cold for the hens to be outside so its no prob.

Anyway, good luck with your venture and keep your eyes open for anyone that might want to try to report you.

I believe there are ways to circumvent just about any prohibition or restriction, unless you are in a deed restricted community or are black booked by your governing authority. Via variances, conditional use permits, etc, there should be something that you can get through on to keep your hens. Now that doesn't take into the fact that most people are not chicken people, and to gain their support is often times tricky. Start by going to your county/city ordinances and researching the laws, and from there inquire about a conditional use permit or a variance. They may tell you that until one is granted, the poultry may have to be removed. Bring your design drawings and photos of your hen house, your son with the hens, their clean and eye appealing environment, and also the location of where the hens and their coop is in regards to your property line and if it interferes with others surrounding you to enjoy their own parcel without disturbance or destruction. Pictures say a 1000 words. Remember that most people who aren't chicken folk equate chickens to dirty animals kept in over crowded layer or grow out facilities, and the bird flu hype doesn't help the back yard chicken's cause at all either. Good luck!

I wasn't aware of the Feb 28th meeting. I am sorry to see that BYC didn't make a turn out to help this cause, and I'm just as guilty not being in attendance.

Last edited:
I agree with Julie. Also many areas will allow some chickens 3 or 4 but no roosters. One note on variances, when I lived in St, Pete I applied for a variance. I had to let my neighbor know of my intentions. One neighbor objected and so the variance was rejected. I paid a $75.00 application fee for the variance and the fee was non-refundable, but that was in St. Petersburg, Fl. I do have friends down there that do have some backyard flocks. One friend down near St. Pete lives in Seminole and has a few backyard birds and had a rooster. Point being all areas are different.

I wasn't aware of the Feb. 28th meeting either. I am also sorry to see that BYC didn't have a turn out to help this cause, and I am too just as guilty for not being in attendance.

Last edited:
First off thank you guys for posting on this thread again.
One thing to say is that I am not going to lie High Roost Ranch and cmom, I actually thought the same thing about why BYC did not do anything to support this or put a highlighted link to announce what we were doing and the support we needed, but I guess I kept my mouth shut since I didnt want to go against this great forum but the truth is the truth is the truth.
I believe I did send Nifty-Chicken a message regarding what we were doing and how we were going to be on the news and newspaper which he thought was great, but I guess somethings in this forum are more important than the goal of having a chicken in every backyard like we say here in BYC, because it sounded as if he could have done something to help but didnt. But the past is the past what could you do? I did appreciate him liking the idea though.

That would actually have been a great idea to announce this and have every BYC'er aware of how we needed the support; at least the emails if they would not be able to attend the meeting, since the more people we had sending emails to the commisioner and mayor, the more support we had to let these people know in Central Fl and beyond that this is something that the majority is looking forward to have changed.

But hopefully something soon will be done, i just recomend people to continue keeping their eyes open for people that dont understand us which is how people get reported...like i have said before uneducated people that do not know anything about poultry.

Thanks again you guys for posting in this thread.

I think we need to have a meeting every year maybe 2 times a year, when and were is the meeting this year 2012?

also, might want to post in the Florida thread there's lots of Floridians there
big_smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...a-platinum-poultry-membership-6-months-in-the

Back
Top Bottom