Febuary hatch a long

I've got two chicks :weee Hoping I get at least one more, but since I have no other pips I candled real quick and I'm not sure if the others are alive. Well, at least I'll have two to keep each other company if nothing else!

I had another one hatch:celebrate That makes a total of 2 for me out of 7 eggs. This one was a surprise, because there were no visible pips. Still impatiently waiting for something to happen with the others, but no sign of anything yet.

Congratulations AandARanch!

Thank you! And congrats to you! I can spend the rest of the day staring at their progress. I am also patiently waiting for one of the eggs that are due to show some kind of activity. No external pip or wiggling or anything. I haven't candled yet, but I'll wait till the other zips before I do that.

Since Hatching day has arrived I think its important to mention that you should give your unhatched eggs till day 22-23 because you don't want to pull early with consequences :)

I'm on day 22 - I giving mine until Sunday and then I'll take a look. All is quite right now and nothing is happening. Hopefully they are just a day or two behind the others.

Well lost one. I have no idea what happened. Maybe someone on here can help. I was getting worried about the last egg with no pip. I decided to candle and the air sac looked fine just the size it needed to be at this point. I couldn't see a beak so I decided to make a little hole to see if I could see any movement. Absolutely none. I made a bigger hole and then I was positive that it was gone. I decided to do an eggtopsy. This is what I found: The chick looked fully developed. Its yolk looked completely gone but it still had a decended gut. Its membrane didn't look dry but it didn't look overly wet either. A couple certain areas of the chick looked to be covered in a little brownish clear goo but other places looked just about what it should when they hatch. When I was slowly peeling back the shell and outer membrane I noticed that there was a tiny hole right by it's beak on the inner membrane. Im thinking that it may have internally pipped but couldn't break through the shell. Its hatch mates are doing completely fine. One is completely out and perfect and the other is well on its way with zipping. Could it have possible been the thickness of the shell? It was pretty porous. I think it should be noted that this chick was a rir/barred rock cross and the other two that are doing fine are pure rir. Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

This is what the inside of the shell look like. Maybe that will help.

This is day 14 for my one Delaware/RIR cross. The chick is taking up most of the egg now and it's hard to see anything, but there is still movement. Lockdown in three days!

The ameraucanas are doing much better than I expected considering the bad weather during shipping. I paid for 12 eggs and today I eggtopsied three because they looked clear. Two were infertile and one was a quitter with nothing but a tiny bloodspot inside. The rest seem to be doing well. I can see movement in all but 1.

so, how important is having the humidity high during lockdown................ i wasn't home and someone messed it up!!! (totally not pointing fingers..but........)
fl.gif

so, how important is having the humidity high during lockdown................ i wasn't home and someone messed it up!!! (totally not pointing fingers..but........)
fl.gif
All should be fine. As I always say broody hens don't have a great deal of ability to affect humidity, and they are often the best incubators... If they stay in the right nest! Temperature is much more important than humidity.
Just add a jar of warm water if you have room to do that, and it should raise the humidity rather quickly. If you still want to increase it more, put a sponge in the jar, so it is halfway submerged in the water.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom