Febuary hatch a long

As of last night (day 21 yesterday) I have 17 chicks (one still had a health issue going on). #18 is trying to hatch this morning and there are still 12 eggs in the incubator. No pips.... How long do I keep them in? 3 were iffy to begin with, but the others looked great via candling right before lock down... What do I do with them after "the last day"?? Do I try to open in incubator after the final wait?

Well I lost another chick overnight(Im starting to think there might be an underlying problem) 22eggs to 19eggs to 17 hatched to 13 living on day5-6...

Sorry to hear that. :( Wish I knew how to help. :(

I HAVE CHICKS! :love   Today is day 22, I have 11 chicks out now (18 went into lockdown) 7 are in brooder, 4 fluffing in the incubator, another that is almost out of it's shell, and one more external pip.  two more with cracks on the outside of the shell, no pip yet, so 5 still really waiting on, but i'm hopeful!  will post pics soon!!!  :weee
That's great! Can't wait for pics. :)

Here's my 3 chicks that made it out of 25 eggs set. 11 made it to lockdown. 8 had various problems, dying in the shell. I'm just glad I have these little ones eating & drinking today. :D

As of last night (day 21 yesterday) I have 17 chicks (one still had a health issue going on).  #18 is trying to hatch this morning and there are still 12 eggs in the incubator.  No pips....  How long do I keep them in?  3 were iffy to begin with, but the others looked great via candling right before lock down...  What do I do with them after "the last day"??  Do I try to open in incubator after the final wait?
If things don't smell rotten in there, I would leave things as is, up to day 23. After that point, try the float test mentioned earlier here. Some chicks are just slow. Marans are an exception to this rule (to day 25+) because of their extra thick shells inherent in most eggs of the breed. Good luck! :D

Two chicks are out, three more have pips and another has pipped the wrong end...Leaving the babies in there for a bit longer, the upside down one I have where I can watch it, have only had this happened one other time and the baby didn't make it so we shall see.

Two chicks are out, three more have pips and another has pipped the wrong end...Leaving the babies in there for a bit longer, the upside down one I have where I can watch it, have only had this happened one other time and the baby didn't make it so we shall see.
I've had those breech chicks before. Unfortunately, none of mine ever made it. :( You may get lucky though, so hang in there! :thumbsup

Here's some better pics of mine just taken.

If things don't smell rotten in there, I would leave things as is, up to day 23. After that point, try the float test mentioned earlier here. Some chicks are just slow. Marans are an exception to this rule (to day 25+) because of their extra thick shells inherent in most eggs of the breed. Good luck!
big_smile.png

Good to know...of the 12 left, 9 are either Marans or Marans crosses!! those shells are tough too...they take a loooooong time to get out.....

Still HELP...ok my little chick with the "umbilical cord" issue is not doing well...The part has shriveled up some and is brown, but it's still very attached. This is definitely the runt of the litter chick. She's already small and won't eat. I have been giving her water and Pedialyte with a dropper and just tried to feed her some but it's pretty difficult and she shows no interest. She's either chirping very loudly or sluggish and trying to sleep standing up...she can't sit or lay with that big thing there...

I hate for her to be in pain....but I don't want to cull her if it's just temporary pain and it will heal.....but she's not eating...

Other suggestions? Thoughts?

Congrats to everyone with new chicks! I love seeing your pictures!

I am on day 20 with my single egg. I have not seen any movement of the egg nor heard any peeping yet. I may have to add water to the incubator sometime this afternoon because it is down to 40% ( I had it at 50% ). I may candle briefly when I refill, but the inside of the egg was so dark when I went on lockdown I may not be able to see anything now either.

Back
Top Bottom