Febuary hatch a long

It hatched! Seems to be doing well. It was cheeping like crazy earlier but now seems to having a break. Egg yolk appears to be completely absorbed and all its limbs look like they are working.

I HAVE HATCHED MY FIRST EGG! YAY!

Edit: It's eating and drinking yay! Pics coming soon.

Any breed guesses? I think the roo was a RIR but the hens were a mix of Delawares, Silver-lace Wyandottes, Barred Rocks, and some others.

Last edited:
last chick finally is out.. had to help it...It pipped last night and made very little progress all day, checked on it about an hour ago and the membrane around the hole it had made was dried and yellow.. Went ahead and helped it out.. Yolk sack fully absorbed and no blood on the membrane, Not something I know is recommended but I really felt like it wouldn't have lasted til morning.....Its drying in the incubator ..

Not all that happy with this hatch, out of 25 eggs that made it to lockdown only 13 hatched, one died shortly after hatching and one we put down this evening... The welsummer chick is being watched, it still isn't up and walking..
6 eggs were rocking and rolling on days 19-21 then nothing, they never pipped, 4 had pipped the air sack then died.. I will for sure try a dry hatch next time around.. Not really sure what the problems were, my temp and humidity were near spot on..

Last edited:
Oh my goodness. I am on day 24 with maran eggs. Just finally heard peeping from one. Had a digital thermometer go haywire partway through and temps were low for about 2 days before I got it corrected again. I thought they were all goners but now I'm not so sure!

Oh my goodness. I am on day 24 with maran eggs. Just finally heard peeping from one. Had a digital thermometer go haywire partway through and temps were low for about 2 days before I got it corrected again. I thought they were all goners but now I'm not so sure!

hmmmm....I guess I'll keep mine in there a bit longer...on day 24 also..most hatched on day 21, one on 22...have 2 more BCM eggs in there and few BCM crosses...I saw them move days 18-20...

Good luck with yours! They have a hard time getting out of that shell!!!

Woke up this morning to a cute noisy partridge Silkie chick in my incubator, and one more egg has pipped - one of mine, not a shipped egg.
Cracked open 6 of the Marans eggs - 4 scrambled, 2 had dead chicks. Not sure what happened. Will leave the last 3 in until Monday. Very disappointing.

What if I can't see any movement in day 18 candling? Or internal pip? Should I still lock down? We have been incubating on a lower side 99.5 -100... I've seen it go down to 98-97 but idk how long but possibly over night. Also it's dropped when I open the bator. I have day 18 eggs looking good I think but no movement or internal pip. Also I have 3 day 10 eggs in same bator ( going to chance it) they are doing good. And we accidentally took a good egg out with the clear ones and my son cracked it open and it was alive and the heart was beating :/ it was sad :( but we live and learn. Should I still lock down? Even if I don't see movement or a pip? I hope I hatch baby's!!

I could hardly see any movement on day 18 because so much space was being taken up by the chick. I don't think the internal pip is supposed to happen that early but maybe someone more experienced can tell you. I didn't open the incubator at all when I went on lockdown so I didn't candle at all from day 18 until it hatched on day 21. I also did not see the egg move AT ALL until after it had made an external pip. My temps were mostly spot on, but they fluctuated from 98 - 100 during the whole three weeks with no ill effects. The only reason I didn't have more hatch is because the rest of the eggs from that batch were infertile. My humidity was at 30-35% until lockdown when I bumped it up to 45-50%

Hope that helped. I have 9 more in the incubator who seem to be doing fine even though they were on lockdown too for the older eggs to hatch. I'm curious to see if the temporarily high humidity had any effect on them.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom