Fecal testing

How are they doing?

-Kathy
Rocky is quacking now and hasn't lost any more weight. She is staying steady at 2lbs 12oz for the last 3 mornings before she eats or drinks. I have the goat version of safe guard and need to know the dosage for her and Skye. Or the mL/lb and I can figure out the rest off of body weight. Thank you so much.

Glad to hear she's feeling better!

The amount of Safeguard you want to give is 0.23 ml per pound. Interestingly, dogs, cats and birds get this amount, but goats horses and cows get only 0.023 ml per pound.

-Kathy

The amount of Safeguard you want to give is 0.23 ml per pound. Interestingly, dogs, cats and birds get this amount, but goats horses and cows get only 0.023 ml per pound.

-Kathy
Great! Also if anyone didn't know you can go to any pharmacy and get syringes. Some may charge but usuall Walgreens and CVS will just give them to you. That is where I just picked up one that is .02 increments and only holds a max of 1mL.

@casportpony double check my math please 2lb 12oz would be .63mL (and some change) and since it is in .02 increments I'm going to round up to .64mL. To give this dose does it need to in the tube feed or is there a way to put it down their throat?

Last edited:

-Kathy
That is what I have written down to but thought K should be the one to say for sure. Why is that K that goats and horses get so much less?

@casportpony double check my math please 2lb 12oz would be .63mL (and some change) and since it is in .02 increments I'm going to round up to .64mL. To give this does does it need to in the tube feed or is there a way to put it down their throat?

I find it easiest when working with pounds and ounces to convert to kg
2 pounds 12 ounces = 1.247 kg. The dose is 50mg per kg, so the math looks like this:
1.247 x 50 / 100 = 0.6235 ml

The 0.23ml per pound should actually be 0.2272, but I figured most people would prefer using a rounded up number.

A dose of 0.62, 0.63, 0.64 or even 0.7 will be fine.

You can give the dose orally with a 1ml syringe... no need to tube it.

-Kathy

-Kathy

That is what I have written down to but thought K should be the one to say for sure. Why is that K that goats and horses get so much less?

Not sure why they get less, maybe it has something to do with them being grass eaters?

-Kathy

I find it easiest when working with pounds and ounces to convert to kg
2 pounds 12 ounces = 1.247 kg. The dose is 50mg per kg, so the math looks like this:
1.247 x 50 / 100 = 0.6235 ml

The 0.23ml per pound should actually be 0.2272, but I figured most people would prefer using a rounded up number.

A dose of 0.62, 0.63, 0.64 or even 0.7 will be fine.

You can give the dose orally with a 1ml syringe... no need to tube it.

-Kathy
Great! Thank you. This one was a little easier for me since 12 oz is 75% of 1lb.
2.75 (weight of bird) x 0.23 (dose per lb) = 0.6325 (mL per dose)

Not sure why they get less, maybe it has something to do with them being grass eaters?

-Kathy
I would guess since it is effectively topical (it goes inside, but contacts the worms directly), with smaller animals, you want it as strong as possible, but not toxic to them. So the per pound amount is what can be tolerated by the host animal. By the time you get to bigger animals you have long since passed the toxic level for the worms so you don't need to crank it up any more but they still have a larger digestive system so you add a little more dependent on size. The dose is now dependent on adequate coverage for the worms with very little concern for the toxicity to the host since they are so big that their blood level would be relatively low. I would guess for an elephant you would only need twice as much as you would for a horse since it's system is bigger, but it is just the digestive tract not the blood level you are concerned with. Say you go from a 1 lb bird to a 100 lb dog, that is .23 - 23ml. But if the range for a 100 lb goat to a 2400 lb cow is 2.3 - 55.2ml Just a stab in the dark from someone with no medical background at all.

Back
Top Bottom