Feed going up... again.

With the refinery fire yesterday the price of gas will go back up on the west coast. So if you find a good deal a few more miles away you'll still be paying more.

caf.gif
Refinery fire= raise gas price... new portapotties= raise gas prices... new office furniture= raise gas prices, do they not plan for these things or are they always a surprise and not budgeted in overhead?

It's hit my wallet bad...... With well over 300 birds and over a ton in feed a month I'm going to have to cut back drastically.......
sad.png
I know what you mean, i sold off 300 guineas and have been culling birds leff and right, i am so glade mine can forage for food but i am still going threw 50 pounds of feed a day down from 150 pounds i was feeding.\
On top of it all we had a flood and i lost tons of goose egg and guinea eggs out in the fields, now they have to start a new nest and the season is getting short, lost all my mellons,pumpkins and cantalopes too, that hurts cause we do make good money on them.

I just have 7 laying hens now (need to update sig line) and 4 roosters. With the exception of my cochin breeding pair, they all free range and get table scraps. 50 lbs lasts me quite a while. I think we're going to stay with a flock this size for awhile, eggs just for our use. We also pass along the occasional dozen to DBF's mom, my mom and anyone else who does us favors. They are happy to get free eggs.

Got my 50 pound of layena pellets and it went up $2.Pine shavings were the same.
If that isn't bad enough I had to buy eggs yesterday because only the one sick hen is laying.She has a hernia or waterbelly.The other 5 forget it no eggs.

I can only imagine how hard it is for people with more livestock AND pets.We have pets too,and the cost of their supplies and food is sure to go up thanks to the weather or even obamacare(papa johns pizza annouced hikes due to obamacare the other day).

Kids won't let me get rid of animals,but I can sure tell you we wont get anymore.

Hay here in Michigan is getting ridiculous. Our steady rainfall and good soil kept hay prices here low: $1.50 to $5 a bale depending on cutting and quality. I paid $8 a bale a few days ago and it is selling at auction for $12 a bale. Ranchers are coming in from Oklahoma and other states looking for literally thousands of bales at a time. Some farmers in this state have been selling in Florida or Arizona for years and now we're having people from all over the country coming here. A farm by us was contacted by a ranch looking for 30,000 bales!

Even with hay going up in price, straw is actually staying pretty steady at $2-3 a bale.

I just read an article on Yahoo this morning about farmers asking the government to halt ethanol production to keep the price of feed and human food from being driven higher.

What will happen is the places with good hay crops will sell thier hay to the areas where it failed and the local hay will go up to compete with shipped hay... always does. Add the fact that since Obama started printing more money the dollar is worth less also.

What will happen is the places with good hay crops will sell thier hay to the areas where it failed and the local hay will go up to compete with shipped hay... always does. Add the fact that since Obama started printing more money the dollar is worth less also.
You don't even want to know the hey prices here.
ep.gif

When did he start printing ? Is that being President thing not working out ?

pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom