Feed prices increasing, points to ponder.

I give my pullets unlimited feed, from a local mill. The feed bucket is in a large rubber bowl, and whatever gets spilled gets poured back in at night. They also get two small trays of wet mash which is always gone before roost, along with whatever veggie & fruit scraps we have from the night before.

I noticed there were bigger pieces of corn and some whole kernels in the feed (the local mill doesn’t have a pellet machine so it is all powder). I might have too much time on my hands, but every night when I fill the trays for wet food, (I just add water quick in the morning), I sift through to find as many corn pieces as I can. I give them this in the afternoon/evening when they are ranging to get them to come back in. It’s usually about a tablespoon or two, and they’ll forage through the leaves in the run for about 30 minutes before they put themselves to bed. Since it is part of their actual feed, I don’t consider it a treat, but it saves me from wrangling tem up for 15 minutes and they think they are getting a special treat. I’m not tempted to buy cracked corn because of it. Occasionally I’ll pull a few seeds from the sunflowers I dried and throw them in too.

...and you CAN "bend the curve" some if your birds can forage - but how much you can potentially save depends on your bird's ability to forage, the area you have in which to provide forage, the quality of the forage, and the growing season.

This is my second full year of "bending the curve" with my pasture, which I continue to work on. I just went to the feed store today to replace what my various animals have eaten. and bought just 300# of chicken feed. That's 10#/day.

Look at my sig. I have 52 birds, inclusive of a dozen ducks who definitely eat (and waste) more feed than the average chicken. Its looking like (roughly) a 30-35% savings on feed costs in November, in spite of the fact that we've already had a pair of freezes here. That's "not bad".

One thing to keep in mind is that while feed prices are going up, so are egg prices. Someone was telling me that they paid $5 a dozen for Eggland's Best eggs the other day at the grocery store here in RI. Those aren't organic eggs, and the store they bought them at was a big grocery store, not a small or specialty place.

Of course, if you don't sell eggs, that only helps you in that if you were buying eggs, you'd be paying more.

If you produce more eggs than you eat, the best way to make the whole affair cost effective is probably to eat more eggs. :D

I just bought 50 pounds of Kalmbach Flock Maker 20%. $21.31, plus tax. I think it's been the same price for a few months. I'm thankful for that.

This time of year, the only "free" food I can come up with my for chickens is kitchen scraps. The garden is done, the bugs are dead (YAY!), the ground is frozen.

Since they're molting/just getting over molting, I keep the treats to a minimum, except for their mash snack made from their feed.

One thing to keep in mind is that while feed prices are going up, so are egg prices. Someone was telling me that they paid $5 a dozen for Eggland's Best eggs the other day at the grocery store here in RI. Those aren't organic eggs, and the store they bought them at was a big grocery store, not a small or specialty place.

Of course, if you don't sell eggs, that only helps you in that if you were buying eggs, you'd be paying more.

If you produce more eggs than you eat, the best way to make the whole affair cost effective is probably to eat more eggs. :D
We are in southern missouri, not far from branson area... the big walmart super center there (which we have to drive to if wanting anything from walmart) .. just 2 days ago.. the walmart eggs were the cheapest in the case and were $3.50 a dozen. That is quite high for this area!! Not to terribly long ago they were $1.88 for an 18 pack! Rumors are that eggs will go up another 17% between now and spring. Be sad if it happens!! So many families feed scrambled eggs to kids of all ages in the home and are very good for them too! What is really bad is the only thing not going up is pasta/noodles of all kinds... many families around here are eating lots of pasta meals to fill everyone up and that is just not healthy. But food is so expensive folks are just trying not to be hungry!!

I just bought 50 pounds of Kalmbach Flock Maker 20%. $21.31, plus tax. I think it's been the same price for a few months. I'm thankful for that.

This time of year, the only "free" food I can come up with my for chickens is kitchen scraps. The garden is done, the bugs are dead (YAY!), the ground is frozen.

Since they're molting/just getting over molting, I keep the treats to a minimum, except for their mash snack made from their feed.
Try growing sunflowers nex year (dry and save the heads for a free winter treat! I also keep one row of kale & collards. A freeze and snow won’t kill it unless it’s below zero for an extended period of time. It will freeze but then thaw and stay edible!
What is really bad is the only thing not going up is pasta/noodles of all kinds...
Went from 95c to $1.59 here….it’s just getting ridiculous

I also keep one row of kale & collards. A freeze and snow won’t kill it unless it’s below zero for an extended period of time. It will freeze but then thaw and stay edible!
I pretty much get by on kale in winter. Collards aren't my favorite but I still did grow one this year for the same reason.
Went from 95c to $1.59 here….it’s just getting ridiculous
Same, pasta's gone up like everything else, and there's still inventory issues. Egg noodles are something like $4.99 a bag.

I have significantly reduced the amount of $ I spend on feed by implementing grazing boxes. I planted seed mix, a d it held on for several months. It's still hanging on, but we got a lot of rain and hail today that I think will do it in. Next year, I'll probably built a canopy over it for winter. I also get leftover produce from the kitchen staff where I work. My understanding is some grocery stores in town do the same.

And I realized that they eat more of certain feeds. Idk why, but with some feeds, there are more pellets leftover in the feeders when I pick them up at night than with other feeds. Their health is not suffering, so it may be that certain feeds are more nutrient dense or filling?

And I sell enough eggs to cover most of their feed costs. I have been VERY lucky. But with egg prices on the rise (organic here are $7-$8), my $5/dozen eggs sell well.

Now if I could just get the goats to cost less to feed in winter...
🙄

Back
Top Bottom