feed price's

It's up past $17 for Flock Raiser at TSC here, so I bought Layer crumbles at Agway for $13.25 - they deliver on a $200 order so I could get enough to last a while. Should have bought more with these prices going up!

There's a feed mill, but it's so far away that the gas cost eats up the savings.

Quote:
Keep in mind that feed quality suffers if it's stored too long. Shelf life is generally about 3 months. With cold weather coming it might last a bit longer/

Feed prices are getting worse than gas prices. Its hard to figure out. You can only keep it for so long or it will go bad. At least, it last a little longer in the winter vs the summer. I remember a bag of deer corn was 4 or 5 bucks now its 10 bucks or more. Seems inflation is rocking the world right now & there's no end in sight. I mean everything has sky rocketed. Except the ol paycheck.

When I buy bagged feeds I only get Blueseal it is better then SS, Dumor and Purina and I have never had to give the store my address so I could be contacted for recalls (that is why I switched) I do pay a dollar more a bag but since the blueseal dealer is 10 mins away and the others are 30 I feel I am breaking even saving on gas. but they are still like the other brands every moth the price is higher
sickbyc.gif

I actually do not feed that much bagged feed most of my feeds are from a local farmer (4 miles away) He grows Corn,Soy,Oats and barley he mixes and mills 2000 lbs of a 16% mix for me at a time for a price that would make you cry that is what I feed to my adult ducks,geese and turkeys and the chickens when they are not locked up for breeding season.

I mix my own goat feeds with grain I buy from him and molasses, sunflower and flax meal from a feed mill.

To pay for my poultry and goat addiction I sell kids,hatching eggs,chicks started birds and adults as well as eating eggs but it is a delicate balance trying to make sure I can make enough to cover them all. This year was my first year here on my new farm so I bought 4 goats, turkeys, 3 more duck breeds and lots of new chickens I am now feeling the pinch as I look over my receipts so next year I am going to try and not buy every bird or goat I like
fl.gif
. I promised my hubby he would not have to put out any money for my hobby.

It would help when giving prices in your area if you would post what area that it is.

I came to Wa from MI where local mill prices were about $17/100 to NE Wa where its 14.90/50lbs for the paper bagged store brands. I am still looking for a mill to buy from. TSC has priced themselves out of reach for me, so has Big R.

I found a farmer who feeds out dairy steers. He grows his own corn and soybeans and has a big feed grinder. He has 150 golden comets he uses for his egg sales. He grinds chicken feed 2000# at a time and he sells what he cant use to people around the area. The ingredients are ground corn, soybean meal, calcium supplement, and Gro-Tek chicken supplement. Just started buying from him the other day. His feed is animal product free and non-medicated. The mix is 17% protein and I pay $20.00 for 100#. Just got tired of paying $16.00 a bag for Layena was pondering getting rid of the chickens till I found this guy.

Has everyone looked to their extension office for help finding less expensive feed? Probably have.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom