Feedback on Learning Center "Treats Chart"

Pics
I cooked beets last night, and saved the water. I gave it to the girls this morning. They seemed to like it after they got over their initial "Oh no! Something new in here! Run away, run away!"

Would you include dried lentils and peas in the admonition not to feed dried beans? I have been throwing handfuls out occasionally as a summer "scratch." Along with some BOSS

I noticed you had a photo of shell-fish (looked like crab?), but I didn't see it on the list. I fed my girls some cooked crawdads (crayfish). Had to step on them to allow the birds to get to the meat, but they devoured them, meat, shells, everything! Is that OK for them? Obviously a small handful is not toxic as all my birds are still alive...... Thanks for the list, especially what NOT to feed them!
Mine don't care for the greens I give them, but love to eat the lettuce out of the garden, guess they like freedom of choice.
smile.png

Thanks for the 'treats' chart!
I am a VERY new chicken owner- less than a week, in fact, so I need all the help I can get.
I have 5 Silky pullets and 1 immature Silky rooster and 6 laying pullets- all 12 are youngsters and not laying yet.
I was originally looking for info on scratch feed. I want them to be my friends, so I was sprinkling a little twice a day- but it's 90 degrees here, so it was good to read that I shouldn't be giving it to them in hot weather. Little did I know!
How about sunflower seeds in hot weather? Will that overheat them as well?
I did my reading before the chickens arrived- but practical advice is more usefull- thank goodness for this site!
Thanks for all the information.
Terry

I don't feed scratch at all, just layena now, with maybe a dozen black sunflower seeds per 2 cups of feed, for treasure hunting.

It wasn't on the don't feed chart, so my 6 hens got about a cup of vanilla ice cream yesterday afternoon. (the dogs got the rest, it had been part way softened, stirred, refrozen, but while it wasn't spoiled, it really wasn't grandkid suitable) They didn't eat the bowl, but there was no ice cream left. I think they had their sugar rush for the month. Not much food going in the trash these days. The oversupply of cantaloupes ripening is being handled by the hens. My current dogs aren't fond of it.

Gypsi

Quote:
About Eggplant: My chickens love eggplant! I cut them in half or quarters and nook it for a couple of minutes (let it cool down after). The chart has an empty space in the "Eggplant" line.
Another treat they love is the cactus fruit (peel it first because it has tiny spines on the skin) from the prickly pear cactus. It is full of tiny seeds and they absolutely devour the fruits.

Thanks for the chart!

I keep a bucket on my counter while I'm doing dinner and pretty much just dump the stuff in there that looks like it might be edible ... glad to know that pears are good - I get them off the tree in the y ard and the chicks get the fallen ones - they don't always eat the fruit but the love the ants and bugs that are drawn to it.

How about dog food? I feed my dog in the coop - the packets of "burger" type. He's usually out there before dawn - so I think he eats most of it - but the chicks probably get the leftovers...

They also like pizza crust - with just a trace of sauce and cheese - if they can get to it b4 the dog

Biggest thing they LOVE - is homemade waffles - they are a tradition at my house on Sunday and they go crazy when they get them. They know that when my daughter brings out her "hannah montana" bucket - there's something good in there!

Wondering about fresh herbs in general and flat leaf parsley in particular. I had to buy a large bunch and only used about a quarter of it. I'm guessing it's fine, but thought I would check as I hadn't seen fresh herbs on the chart. Thanks!

Edited to ask about celery, celery tops, green pepper, hot peppers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom