Feedback wanted

imeister

In the Brooder
Jan 9, 2016
I decided to create a coop plan that combines a bunch of great ideas I've seen strewn across the web, This is what I came up with. I plan to start building next spring, so whatever feedback I get can be incorporated.

All I ask is that everyone stick to constructive/civil commentary. After all, this IS the internet...

welcome-byc.gif

I think it's a good start. The run is nice sized, which I like. If you're keeping large fowl birds, I would not plan on more than 5 max in that coop. Bantams you could do 8, but large fowl birds will be too crowded.

I like that you have a good amount of ventilation. Fresh air is so important to an animals's health.

With only 4 birds, you don't need 4 nesting boxes. You could probably do okay with one, but two would be plenty.

I like the idea of slide-out trays under the roosts. Those could be a good time saver.

You'll have to be careful about your roost height. The coop is only 3ish feet tall, correct? I'd put the roosts about halfway up, to allow plenty of space above the roosts. They also need space to take off and land. That doesn't leave a whole lot of space under the roosts for the birds to utilize that floor space, especially since you have the solid tray instead of just two roosts.

Welcome to BYC!

Nice work with the software....can be a great planning tool, I spent a good 6 months modeling/drafting my coop in CADD before building.
Always better to make, and fix, design errors on screen or paper than in wood and metal.

The sliding poop tray thing looks good, as does the feed access.
Ventilation is pretty good, tho not protected from the weather. larger roof overhangs would help with that.

but.....

Too much roost and nest for coop capacity...I wouldn't put more than 3 birds in there, so 1 roost and 1 nest would suffice.
Not a fan of bottom 'pop doors', they reduce floor space in coop and create bedding issues as TalkALittle pointed out.

If you're serious about keeping more than just a few birds long term, you're going to want a bigger coop and run.
You should be able to easily reach to the extents of entire coop and run in case of a incapacitated bird, retrieving mislaid eggs, cleaning, etc.
Although I am older and unlimber, being able to go into the coop and run and close the door to tend to birds anytime of the night or day is invaluable.

I have less generous things to say, but will refrain in a rare moment of diplomacy.

It look like you've garnered most of your ideas from retail coop manufacturers, they get a lot of things wrong.
Do more browsing here on BYC, look at lots of coops and read a lot more to see what works....and what doesn't.
First year of chicken keeping has a huge learning curve, you can overcome some of it with careful research.

With the new design birds' access to the roosts are even more limited. They are not necessarily going to jump up and file nicely down the length of the roosts just because you want them to. I anticipate a traffic jam at the end with birds camping out there and access to the back being blocked.

@aart : I'm not sure you looked closely. Your original post mentioned several problem points. First, "If you're serious about keeping more than just a few birds long term, you're going to want a bigger coop and run." I do not, in fact, want more than a few birds. The intent is for them to be 'working' pets. Second "You should be able to easily reach to the extents of entire coop and run in case of a incapacitated bird, retrieving mislaid eggs, cleaning, etc." This revision makes the deepest part of the coop only 3 feet instead of 5, and the coop is accessible along its entire width. The run is still an issue, but one I'm willing to deal with, as stated above. And finally "Although I am older and unlimber, being able to go into the coop and run and close the door to tend to birds anytime of the night or day is invaluable." This is a valid point also addressed by @donrae , and the pulley mentioned above would seem to resolve that issue. Specifics are helpful, bland criticisms are not. If you're no longer interested in providing constructive feedback, feel free to leave the thread.
Yeah, sorry, was in a hurry...should have said 'few' improvements and/or waited until I had more time.
Just saw the tiny floor space and kinda gave up...S'ingMH.
It's true you made it pretty reachable...tho I can't reach 3' without putting my hand down on the 'floor'...why I made my brooder only 30" deep.

It's hard to imagine how much space a full grown chicken takes up if you've never had some....and I'm assuming you haven't.

You're working in 3d?
Make some 'blocks'.....about 12" long x 10" wide x 14" high...to represent the space a chicken would take up.
Make 4 or 5 of them, and fit them in the coop...so they can all feed at once...so they can all drink at once.
Not sure what software you're using and if that's possible.
Or tape off 3'x5' rectangle on the floor and put 4-5 empty gallon milk jugs in that space...then a feeder and waterer

I think you're stuck in the mindset of using examples of typical prefabbed coops and just changing things around a bit,
and gave some feedback on that too.

I would go at least 4x8 floor space, with access on both 8 foot sides, the run tall enough to walk into, pop door on side rather than bottom of coop.

The rotation of the roosts as suggested looks as if the hens would need to go under the roost to get to the nest box.  That would make the chances of dragging poop into the nest much higher.  To me this is not a great idea.  More chance of dirty eggs... 

...I would eliminate the trays and use linoleum on the floor and a poop board...

But along with the recommendation to move the location of the roost, I also recommended the installation of a poop board to catch droppings. This is a full height coop now so a shelf-like poop board installed 8-12 inches below the roost and above the height of the pop door would make for easy cleaning and the entire rest of the coop would be (relatively) poop free. The birds would have a clear shot to the nest boxes.

I see you decided to go with walk-in!
I do think you will look back and be glad you decided to do this. I see everyone has given you some great suggestions, so...get that coop ready!!!
smile.png

If I remember correctly you wanted chickens for a reason similar to "pets with benefits". Now for some FUN STUFF!!
IMO a walk-in made it easier for me to brood in the coop. I had room to make a corral to block off an area to keep them out of the corners for a couple of weeks. I also had room to take a small stool inside and just sit with them. This helped us all to get used to each other. After a couple of weeks I took out the corral, blocked off the nests and let them have free reign of the coop, they explored every nook and cranny and made themselves at home. I also let them out to the run at about 3wks. (summertime), I could take my stool or a chair in there, walk around and let them just be growing chicks ~ chasing bugs, taking a dust bath, they would come up and interact with me. When it's warm I still like to take a chair and sit with them in the run. Some want to sit on my knee, others just want to be close but not held, but they all want some type of interaction. They do talk to you and I think you will get a kick out of them.
I always wanted chickens, but I just didn't know how much joy and fun they could bring.

@aart has a good article on brooding without a heat lamp
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/pseudo-brooder-heater-plate

Can't forget @Blooie and her mama heating pad
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/brooding-with-mama-heating-pad
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

Very nice plan. I'm not sure how helpful my comments will be but here goes -

I started with a "reach in" run and found it difficult to clean well. My new coop allows me to walk into the run standing up. BIG difference over time. I will admit that I am older and not as flexible as I once was.

Be sure you can reach from the door you plan to clean the coop from ALL the way across under the roosts. We added a door that opens right behind the roosts (see my coop write up) which is convenient for daily pick out. Even with a slide out tray there will be a mess or two or three at the far end.

I love the garden area. At the end of my run I grow a patch of okra. It helps shade the run in summer and the crop is a great addition to the summer (people) diet. Across the back I grow runner beans for shade.

I lock my girls into the coop at night safely away from predators even if the local coyote would breach the run. I don't see that you have a door to close off your ramp opening. Cold winter winds might be rough on the girls in the wintertime unless you provide some storm/wind/draught protection.

One more comment on the in-the-floor ramp opening: you will need a 3" or higher barrier all the way around the opening to keep the bedding inside the coop.

You might want to separate the waterer and feeder a bit more to prevent cross pollution.

I hope these comments are helpful. Feel perfectly free to comment or ignore.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom