Feeding and taking care of a donkey (?)

LAW REQUIRES A COGGINS TEST !!!!

Rabies is a GOOD idea !!!!!!

they can be be lead on a leash (lead like a horse)

feeding needs to be the same every day he will colic (very bad)

Job=driving tricks packing therapy

he needs a somewhat big field to walk around and to get up a good run

HE NEEDS A FRIEND THEY ARE HEARD ANIMALS !!!
They do not do well with just one

he might get nasty by himself is he fixed ?

I told my landlord right away (the day I saw donkey here) that they are herd animals and that he needs a friend... I don't think he'll get anyone soon besides us and the chickens. My landlord was not able to answer my question if the donkey is fixed or not (I asked the first day too).

Quote:
so we can't give him broccoli one day and apple the other day? or do you mean on pellets? if he gets them, he has to get them everyday?

food needs to be the same

not treats sorry

if he is not gelded PLEASE have someone who knows donks do it

they bleed and need to be tied inside or will bleed to death
almost lost mine and my vet know and tied very scary

please have him put him in a bigger field
they need room to run

becareful they will stomp and kill what they dont know belongs with them

they can be VERY STRONG even when young

sorry to butt in but i didnt want to make a new post when there was already a donkey thread running, i have a question about my (nearly) 6 year old mini donkey. he's always been alone but lives in a field next to a field containing 6 sheep and a shetland pony. the pony is brought out at 8am and taken back inside when it gets dark. my donkey and this pony spend the whole day together running up and down the fence line and 'chatting' to each other, rubbing noses etc. is this enough 'company' for my donkey (who also tries talking to the sheep in the evenings but these dont respond so well) or should i be looking into a full time playmate?

Any kind of job. Teaching him to lead. just getting him out and working with him on a daily basis. I don't know how much time you have but i would spend as much time with him as you can. @ 5 months old he should be full of energy and needs a way to burn off all that energy and stimulate his mind. I think even going on a walk with him if he already leads well will give him exercise and let him see new things, sounds, smells.

Quote:
so donkeys can't get any treats? that website I mentioned above said "You could include horse treats, apples and carrots into their diet, but use sparingly." http://www.pamarosapond.com/care.htm

Why
does he have to get fixed or you mean he will bleed if he does not get fixed? (???)

Quote:
That's plenty of company - show horses are kept in adjacent pens all of the time but never kept together for fear of messing up that pretty and expensive hide they walk around in - LOL! My show horses have a bigger hair care arsenal than I do. They use up a whole shed whereas I just need a drawer in the bathroom - haha! Only get a playmate if you want the extra care and feed. You don't have to - your guy doesn't sound too bad off at all. He may actually like his routine of visiting the others over the fence and enjoys his own space as well, especially during feed time.

Quote:
so donkeys can't get any treats? that website I mentioned above said "You could include horse treats, apples and carrots into their diet, but use sparingly." http://www.pamarosapond.com/care.htm

Why
does he have to get fixed or you mean he will bleed if he does not get fixed? (???)

They can have treats, just keep it to a minimum. You may want to consider tossing it in his feeder rather then hand feeding so you don't inadvertently teach him to nip at your hands looking for treats all the time. And slice them up so you don't risk him gobbling down an apple or hunk of broccoli and choking on it.

If he is a male and is not gelded (fixed) he may not be much fun to get along with as he gets older. They can become quite pushy, aggressive, etc. Just much better for everyone involved if the animal is castrated.

If he is pacing his pen then the pen is much to small. How much room does he currently have? A combination of extreme boredom and not be gelding/fixed is probably going to leave you with a critter with a very unpleasant attitude!

As far as the amount of hay he needs, you can weigh it if you want to be really precise, weight will vary from one bale to the next depending on type of hay and how it was baled. I just keep an eye on the quality of the hay and watch the animals condition. As was mentioned, just feed him a good quality grass hay, tiny bit of alfalfa is ok since he's young and growing.

Quote:

Why

Castration should be done by a veterinarian, that's all. Some folks who manage cattle do their own donkeys that live with the cattle but I personally have my young equines cut by the vetschool here. I cut and/or band my own goats - but did you know that equines are now considered pets and no longer fall under the 'farm animal' title as far as legalities go? I don't know what it is where you are but castrating equines here in TX has to be done by a vet or it's illegal - fairly new legislation here and some folks are still finding it out the hard way.

Anyway, back on topic -don't concern yourself with the castration procedure too much - in other words don't let it scare you. Castration done by a vet insures that your mini will receive the best of care including painkillers, antibiotics, or whatever the little guy needs. Most are up and running within the hour and the wound is left open to heal so that it doesn't abscess. You just have to run them around a bit (longe line, etc) to keep the swelling down (so the wound will continue to drain) for about 2-3 days but that's about it.

Donkeys can have treats! Just feed them in moderation like you would yourself - too much of a good thing and you'll get a tummy ache! Just use common sense and a little bite of something yummy every now and then won't hurt. My horses have been known to eat pizza crust so how about that? LOL! Fruits and veggies are fine.

Castration has benefits. There are so many positive reasons and opinions and I'll share mine and others are welcome to share theirs. A gelding (castrated male equine) will be much more calm, easier to handle by novices and in so many ways 'safer' than a little stud, if you have no experience. Some problems with equines (especially the ones intended to be huggable loveable pets and that's it) who aren't castrated can be aggressive towards strangers, may try to mount-chase-harass other animals or people and can be a big pain. Plus, unless there is a good reason to keep him as a little 'stud', Lord knows we already have a problem with unwanted equines here in the U.S.

Hope this info helps!

Back
Top Bottom