Fenbendazole dosing

fatimahb89

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2022
Hi everyone. I know this question has been asked many times and I have been reading many different threads and I am still confused. I have a suspension of 100 mg/ml.
What is the dosing for a 2 kg bird?
I think that it would be between .25–.50 ml per day for five days. is this correct? Thank you so much.

Hi everyone. I know this question has been asked many times and I have been reading many different threads and I am still confused. I have a suspension of 100 mg/ml.
What is the dosing for a 2 kg bird?
I think that it would be between .25–.50 ml per day for five days. is this correct? Thank you so much.
It can definitely be confusing.
I assume you are treating round worms? The dose recommendations vary a bit by type of worm.

Here is a thread that I started a while back when I was confused and it has some of the guidelines and some debate among experts linked to it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fenbendazole-dosing-again.1558285/

The dose recommendation for round worms is quite broad at 10-50mg/kg.
With the product you have that would be 0.1-0.5ml per kg - so for a 2kg bird it would be 0.2-1.0ml per bird.
My vet recommended giving 0.5ml (50mg) to each of my 2kg birds.

Now there are two other questions that come up:
- Do you give that just once, or do you give it daily for 5 days. Different people do it differently and experts differ. There are some things about the lifecycle of the round worm that supports the daily for 5 days idea.
- Do you repeat the dose in 10 days time. Again experts differ. Again there is some reason to believe that is a good idea.

Hope this helps.

It can definitely be confusing.
I assume you are treating round worms? The dose recommendations vary a bit by type of worm.

Here is a thread that I started a while back when I was confused and it has some of the guidelines and some debate among experts linked to it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fenbendazole-dosing-again.1558285/

The dose recommendation for round worms is quite broad at 10-50mg/kg.
With the product you have that would be 0.1-0.5ml per kg - so for a 2kg bird it would be 0.2-1.0ml per bird.
My vet recommended giving 0.5ml (50mg) to each of my 2kg birds.

Now there are two other questions that come up:
- Do you give that just once, or do you give it daily for 5 days. Different people do it differently and experts differ. There are some things about the lifecycle of the round worm that supports the daily for 5 days idea.
- Do you repeat the dose in 10 days time. Again experts differ. Again there is some reason to believe that is a good idea.

Hope this helps.
Thank you! I understand now.
Do you know how to dose if I buy the safe gaurd for goats suspension 10% (100mg/ml)? I need to get more to dose three hens for 5 days. 😩
Also, I have Poultry Dewormer 5x I bought from the feed store. It says each capsule contains 6.7 mg of Fenbendazole. It says to give each hen (4-7 lbs) 1 capsule and repeat in 10 days or for severe cases, use for 3 days and repeat in 10 days.
My questions is, how does this medication compare to safe guard or Panacur?

The active ingredient in Safeguard for goats is fenbendazole so it is the same ingredient as the pills you have.
If you gave each of your 2kg chickens one capsule you would only be giving the 3.35mg/kg which sounds way too low to me.
Are you sure you read the label correctly? Maybe take some pictures of the product and the instructions.

In terms of giving the goat dewormer you can direct dose into their throat - but you have to be careful that it doesn't go down the wrong way, and as you are new at this you might want to go for the easier option which is soak it into bread and have them eat it!
If you are giving say 0.5ml for each hen that will soak easily into a couple of little pieces of bread. Low quality sandwich bread seems to have the highest absorbing ability I have found!
You want to give only a little bit of bread just to make sure they really eat it all and get the full dose. I usually then give them a couple of pieces of bread without the drug after they have eaten the one with the de-wormer so they remember how yummy it is and don't fight you the next day.
Obviously you have to do this one chicken at a time so they all get their own dose.

The active ingredient in Safeguard for goats is fenbendazole so it is the same ingredient as the pills you have.
If you gave each of your 2kg chickens one capsule you would only be giving the 3.35mg/kg which sounds way too low to me.
Are you sure you read the label correctly? Maybe take some pictures of the product and the instructions.

In terms of giving the goat dewormer you can direct dose into their throat - but you have to be careful that it doesn't go down the wrong way, and as you are new at this you might want to go for the easier option which is soak it into bread and have them eat it!
If you are giving say 0.5ml for each hen that will soak easily into a couple of little pieces of bread. Low quality sandwich bread seems to have the highest absorbing ability I have found!
You want to give only a little bit of bread just to make sure they really eat it all and get the full dose. I usually then give them a couple of pieces of bread without the drug after they have eaten the one with the de-wormer so they remember how yummy it is and don't fight you the next day.
Obviously you have to do this one chicken at a time so they all get their own dose.
Poulty Dewormer x 5
the link for the tablets is above
I thought that the dose was low, too.
For the goat Safeguard, what is the dosing? Is the strength the same? The bottle says suspension 10% (100mg/ml).
Would it be the same as 0.23 ml per kilo?

I have you the dose using the goat Safeguard in my first response.
0.5ml should be OK for each of your birds (which is what my vet recommended for mine).
0.5ml of your goat liquid contains 50mg of fenbendazole (the product has 100mg fenbendazole per ml, and so 0.5ml is 100 divided by 2 which is 50mg).
Your birds are 2kg so you would be giving a dose of 25mg/kg (25mg x 2 = 50mg).

Back
Top Bottom