FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Even at 5 weeks old? I don't know why he's targeting that one other guy and not anyone else.
sad.png
I'm looking for hope here! I was planning on keeping only one anyway but my husband's favorite is the bully. DX

That young and he's bloodying up the other birds? Kill it now. Don't wait, he isn't going to get better with time. Could be you also need more space for your birds....the only time I've ever heard of birds that young bringing blood to each other was in crowded conditions.

That young and he's bloodying up the other birds?  Kill it now.   Don't wait, he isn't going to get better with time.   Could be you also need more space for your birds....the only time I've ever heard of birds that young bringing blood to each other was in crowded conditions. 

It very well could be theyre over crowded. I have the 9 of them in a 22sqft coop. I let them out to free range during the day. We are in the works of building something bigger. I'm not quite convinced that they truly are overcrowded tho. They're only 5 weeks and the info I saw online said at that age 2qft per bird is sufficient. The only bullying that's happening is from that one rooster and only directed at the other one. I do noticed many of them squabble even when out ranging. They all at some time or another fly at eachother and chest bump with neck feathers stuck out.

Last edited:
It very well could be theyre over crowded. I have the 9 of them in a 22sqft coop. I let them out to free range during the day. We are in the works of building something bigger. I'm not quite convinced that they truly are overcrowded tho. They're only 5 weeks and the info I saw online said at that age 2qft per bird is sufficient. The only bullying that's happening is from that one rooster and only directed at the other one. I do noticed many of them squabble even when out ranging. They all at some time or another fly at eachother and chest bump with neck feathers stuck out.
That should be enough room right now with the range especially. I currently have 15, six week old chicks that are in a 15 sq foot coop with plenty of range. They are out from early until late and I don't have too many unusual squabbles. When they were younger though, they were fine until the first day out with lots of extra space. For some reason that day one of the noticeably females decided to pick on another chick. And it was jumping on it, chasing it down, pecking, and hold on to feathers as the other one tried to run away. It was relentless, a buff brahma was the bully. I first employed pecking of my own, although I know I won't change the pecking order. It seems to at least put the bully in it's place temporarily which is often, for me successful. Maybe like a distraction. The best defense is a good offense. The pecking didn't work for this time. She continued after the same bird. So I employed a short term (3 minutes) solitary confinement. Then returned said bully. Bully baby then proceeded to go after yet another chick with yet the same relentless behavior. This time I employed a 10 minute solitary confinement before returning the bully. And the behavior was markedly improved. This was the first time I've considered eating or selling a pullet! She continues to be more of a jerk than many in her brood, but as long as she stays withing acceptable parameters she can stay.
smile.png
Odd that it was their first day out. But I guess there was probably a lot of excitement and they all were trying their wings and such....

Yay FF! Staying on thread topic.
big_smile.png
wink.png

That should be enough room right now with the range especially. I currently have 15, six week old chicks that are in a 15 sq foot coop with plenty of range. They are out from early until late and I don't have too many unusual squabbles. When they were younger though, they were fine until the first day out with lots of extra space. For some reason that day one of the noticeably females decided to pick on another chick. And it was jumping on it, chasing it down, pecking, and hold on to feathers as the other one tried to run away. It was relentless, a buff brahma was the bully. I first employed pecking of my own, although I know I won't change the pecking order. It seems to at least put the bully in it's place temporarily which is often, for me successful. Maybe like a distraction. The best defense is a good offense. The pecking didn't work for this time. She continued after the same bird. So I employed a short term (3 minutes) solitary confinement. Then returned said bully. Bully baby then proceeded to go after yet another chick with yet the same relentless behavior. This time I employed a 10 minute solitary confinement before returning the bully. And the behavior was markedly improved. This was the first time I've considered eating or selling a pullet! She continues to be more of a jerk than many in her brood, but as long as she stays withing acceptable parameters she can stay.
smile.png
Odd that it was their first day out. But I guess there was probably a lot of excitement and they all were trying their wings and such....

Yay FF! Staying on thread topic.
big_smile.png
wink.png
Thanks for that! Yeah, the bully has been ranging during the day with the others but I put him in a pen by himself at night. Seems to be working so far, the victims wounds are starting to heal and theres no new wounds. We're going to try and see how he fares in the coop with the others tonight. If I see signs of pecking when I let them out in the morning he will be going back to solitary confinement.

I got another question about FF. My 5 week olds wont eat tomatoes for some reason. They try it a couple of times and then just wander off completely neglecting it. I'm wondering if I can mix discarded tomatoes in their FF bucket. Would it ferment in there? Good idea or nah?

I got another question about FF. My 5 week olds wont eat tomatoes for some reason. They try it a couple of times and then just wander off completely neglecting it. I'm wondering if I can mix discarded tomatoes in their FF bucket. Would it ferment in there? Good idea or nah?
It isn't a grain, but I don't see why not.
hu.gif
I don'T Truly know if it's a good idea or bad though.

It usually takes a bit with younger chicks when I introduce new foods. especially in smaller broods. They always seem to think it's poison.
roll.png
I usually just leave it there for a day or two and they usually get rid of it.

Also, you could make a compost/scratching bin or pile. Preferably covered for me to prevent rain from leaching all my richness away. But what they don't eat, the bugs will come for. Then the chickens love scratching for the bugs. Which creates many benefits... saving on both feed and fertilizer for the garden as well as some pest control. And best of all some of the energy and boredom or curiosity of the flock will be satisfied resulting in less mischievous behavior and the happier flock and happier YOU! Well, in theory anyways!
lol.png

I have put some vegetables in the ferment before. I never tried tomatoes but I don't see why it wouldn't work

Personally, I'd not put any veggies in the FF. If you put it in the FF, they have no choice in the matter whether they eat it or not. Continue to offer it on the side. Let them make the choice to eat it or leave it.

Personally, I'd not put any veggies in the FF.  If you put it in the FF, they have no choice in the matter whether they eat it or not.  Continue to offer it on the side.  Let them make the choice to eat it or leave it.  
they can still pick and choose what they want out of the fermented food.

Back
Top Bottom