Fermented Feeds

Azomite is a rock dust that has like 70 something minerals in it. I put 1-2 T in my 5 gallon bucket. It just helps . It's also used as a soil amendment. Put 1 tlb around new plants and mix it in a bit with your hands. My DD brought in the mail the day it (35 lbs.) was delivered. She said, "What have you got in there, rocks?" Yes.
lau.gif
LindaB220, really neat; and, of course, rocks won't grow any mold! I'm going to try some of this. The minerals sound wonderful. My flock has a dirt floor here in NC (lot of clay) and run has plenty of grass and dirt; so I'm sure they get a lot of minerals, but 70? Where does azomite come from; ie, is it a particular "rock dust"? I'm going to try in garden also. Thanks again.

Azomite is a trace mineral product mined from a volcanic rock source. A similar product would be glacial rock dust. You can search for azomite certificate of analysis to see whats all in there.

Hello, so I'm going to start with I don't have enough time in the day to keep up with this thread or catch up sadly, so I apologize if my question has already been answered. I'm mixing up my first batch of FF. I plan to use whole oats, ground corn, alfalfa meal, boss, and wheat bran. I already know how to use Pearson squares, but does anyone know of a way to find out the total nutrients of your ration after mixing it, because obviously the Pearson squares only work if I need to say increase fat or protein and I am going to use one ingredient to do it, and I already know the break down of my base feed. Otherwise does anybody just have a base idea of what to mix proportion wise with these ingredients, I am shooting for a 16 percent feed. Thanks

Oats aren't the best for hens, they have anti-nutrients in them ruminants can handle but not poultry and even fermenting doesn't help that much, though it will soften the tough fibers of the oats.

As for bran and BOSS they don't make for much nutrient rich feed

If you are looking to get rid of waste and just want to make it up as a snack to give a small amount then it may be worth it, the corn is probably GMO so I wouldn't feed it to my animals but you can do a Google search for protein content of different feeds. I doubt they will have bran in there though.

Basically you have corn and alfalfa

The Boss which is also high fiber if in the shell will not add much but you can find its nutrients in a search. The charts will show you how much protein per pound and then you can figure the % of each to mix together to try to get to 16% but with those ingredients I doubt you will do it.

LindaB220, really neat; and, of course, rocks won't grow any mold! I'm going to try some of this. The minerals sound wonderful. My flock has a dirt floor here in NC (lot of clay) and run has plenty of grass and dirt; so I'm sure they get a lot of minerals, but 70? Where does azomite come from; ie, is it a particular "rock dust"? I'm going to try in garden also. Thanks again.

Sorry I missed this.

http://www.azomite.com/faq.html

Hello, so I'm going to start with I don't have enough time in the day to keep up with this thread or catch up sadly, so I apologize if my question has already been answered. I'm mixing up my first batch of FF. I plan to use whole oats, ground corn, alfalfa meal, boss, and wheat bran. I already know how to use Pearson squares, but does anyone know of a way to find out the total nutrients of your ration after mixing it, because obviously the Pearson squares only work if I need to say increase fat or protein and I am going to use one ingredient to do it, and I already know the break down of my base feed. Otherwise does anybody just have a base idea of what to mix proportion wise with these ingredients, I am shooting for a 16 percent feed. Thanks

I really had a tough time with the whole oats. Crimped might be better. I did do a fermented version of soaked oats. I made up 25# in a 18 gallon container and added water for 5 days. It really got stinky but the hulls finally softened and I give 2 -3 c day along with the fermented feed. They said it doesn't go bad. It does take the whole 5 days in water to soften enough for them to eat it. I'm also going to try to sprout some whole oats in a pillow case. Kassaundra has a good youtube video on sprouting oats. Or just soak some overnight and plant (sow with a tiny bit of soil over it) and after it starts coming up. Get a shovel full, dirt and all, and put in the run. They do help a good bit in the anti-nutrients. People have been feeding chickens whole oats for 200 yrs.

Edited for content: @ Chris 09 I just saw your post. I didn't add ACV to mine. Should I go back and add some? It's a good 10 days old

Last edited:
Edited for content: @ Chris 09 I just saw your post. I didn't add ACV to mine. Should I go back and add some? It's a good 10 days old
You can use either Water, ACV, Apple Juice or a combination of any or all of them.
You just have to break down the Non-Starch Polysaccharides in the hulls.

The corn is gmo and I intend on eventually growing some non gmo corn just for feed but for now my goal with FF is to reduce cost on my feed bill, but anyway the wheat bran is 14.5% protein and 3% fat, the alfalfa is right at 16% protein, and the boss is to increase the fat in the ration with my goal being 7%. I probably will soak the oats like recommended. I also have ducks and geese that will get the ration so I didn't want to use fish meal, as this is not natural for these birds to eat animal protein in that form, so if I need to reduce fiber and increase protein I thought of using eater some calf manna, or if I could find a supplier of split peas or Maple peas.

Back
Top Bottom